Pinball HD

Jay

May 19, 2012
There's enough of a collection that I felt it deserved it's own thread. I remember when the first table appeared years ago for the iPhone: Wild West. The table was nicely themed. The gameplay was fairly standard: hit targets, get points, try for multiball. It was conceptualized as "missions" to complete, as if you were a sheriff rounding up bad guys. The sort of mini-toy of the gunslinger target was fun.

The same group, Gameprom, then released "The Deep" followed by the awkwardly-named "Jungle Style." Each table stuck to Gameprom's formula: hit target, get points, try for multiball. Jungle Style featured a King Kong toy above a target set. I found that table to be the most frustratingly difficult of the three.

Then Gameprom did something unusual: they rereleased all three tables as a separate purchase called "The Pinball." That upset quite a few people who already bought all three tables separately. Now they were being asked to re-purchase them. (I never did.) While I understood why Gameprom did that (to offer additional tables within a single app), I thought they should have grandfathered in people who bought all three tables separately, since we actually spent more than the new cost of The Pinball. Shortly afterward, Gameprom released the HD version for the iPad and a version for Mac as well. One nice feature in HD is that with AirPlay an iPhone or iPad can act as a controller while the actual game is projected on a big-screen TV.

By far my favorite table of theirs is DaVinci. Again, the gameplay is nothing fancy. But the table is absolutely beautiful and the soundtrack is mesmerizing. A more recent addition is Snow, which has a Christmas theme. It looks like a child's table, but it's really challenging.

What are some of your thoughts on the Gameprom lineup?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The graphics are nice, but the flippers make it basically unplayable for me. They're too big and the angle is just weird....and they're way too close together on most of the tables.

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
I got versions for iPhone and the HD iPad version too. I bought standalone tables, DLC tables and hoped one day they would get their stuff together and build a universal app. A while back they promised a universal build of the "collection" version and it never happened. It's not a huge expense to double dip on most tables to get them on iPhone and then on iPad, but they have now reneged on the universal build promise. The endless buying of standalone tables, then them wanting us to buy DLC of the same tables inside different variants of the game has just burnt me out, they won't get my money again.

Members online

Members online