OS X 10.10 Yosemite

hootowls

Aug 20, 2013
I'm mainly thinking about the three weeks or so of down time before v2.9.1 hit the street to make TPA work with Mavericks. As a developer, maybe FS will take a good look at Yosemite compatibilty before the OS drops.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
Three weeks is actually pretty good.

I'm sure there's some wise ancient proverb about not upgrading OSX the day it comes out

Sinitro

Jul 26, 2012
On my Mac Pro with OS 10.9.3 I have no issues except the JunkYard screen freeze already reported 4 weeks back...

Just my $0.05... ;)

hootowls

Aug 20, 2013
Three weeks is actually pretty good.

I'm sure there's some wise ancient proverb about not upgrading OSX the day it comes out

Gotta say it felt like a wait-and-see approach was taken by FS for Mavericks, which resulted in about a week to ID and patch the issue with a few more weeks to get through the App Store. Maybe par for the course for a 99 cent app but not one for >$100. Looking for a more proactive approach to Yosemite compatibility. As a developer FS has the ability to figure this out before their user base.

hootowls

Aug 20, 2013
Third beta releases of Yosemite and iOS8 came out this week - any TPA users with access out there?

Terry Ingram

Sep 14, 2012
I'm testing out Yosemite. I haven't installed TPA yet .. maybe tonight. I'll report back my results.

Just tested out TPA with Yosemite 10.10. I'm happy to report that TPA ran perfectly normal. I'm rather shocked that I didn't experience any ball lag or general weirdness. It works!

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Just tested out TPA with Yosemite 10.10. I'm happy to report that TPA ran perfectly normal. I'm rather shocked that I didn't experience any ball lag or general weirdness. It works!

"It works" as in it's running at the same performance as Mavericks? Or "It works" as in it's running better than it was on Mavericks? :O

Terry Ingram

Sep 14, 2012
"It works" as in it's running at the same performance as Mavericks? Or "It works" as in it's running better than it was on Mavericks? :O

Mavericks with TPA was a disaster right out of the chute. It wasn't until much later (after a lot of folks already gave up) that Mavericks and TPA started to "iron itself out."

So, to answer your question, "yes, TPA is running better with Yosemite than when first used with Mavericks." In fact, I'm experiencing normal operation.

Last edited:

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
I'm waiting at least a month....

allow them time to iron out things with an update or two
make sure a few legacy drivers still work (M-Audio Firewire 410)
TPA not working would be the least of my concerns

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
I'm still getting the crazy slowdown in the menus as well as in game. I only started testing when Apple rolled out the GM-candidates, but all 3 of those have had the same problems with TPA that Mavericks did.

etchie

Sep 4, 2014
I decided to jump in early because everything I needed for work was being reported as working just fine. I put it on my laptop and when everything went well, put it on my Mac Pro. I forgot to check TPA on my laptop though. I'm going to have to wait for a fix, everything is literally in slow motion. I noticed that they had a challenges section now though, which I can't wait to use. I wouldn't even mind waiting 3 weeks so long as I was able to sign up somewhere to be contacted so I knew when the update was ready.

etchie

Sep 4, 2014
Be prepared to wait a long time. The slowdown issues have been occurring since October of last year.

Here's something really weird that I don't understand. It's working as smoothly as ever now. Something magical happened over night?

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
After updating to Yosemite, I've noticed that the periodic slowdowns I was experiencing appear to have resolved themselves (time will tell), but I also appear to have run into a new problem - Initially, TPA appears to have reset itself, causing me to lose achieved goals, and high scores (the tables also want to display the history upon startup). Choosing 'Restore Save Data' under the 'Options' menu seems to temporally resolve this (using the 'Remote' option... The 'Local' option appears to make the background black, with only the foreground visible). I still have to restore my camera and custom ball options, each time I launch TPA, but it seems to work. Hopefully this will be resolved soon...

hootowls

Aug 20, 2013
I'm retiring my Core 2 Duo Mini for an i7 model tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to bumping up my TPA graphics settings from the minimum. Of course it comes with 10.10 installed. Still have to wait for the next bug fix before I can get Season 3 loaded though.

Shoot Again

Aug 26, 2012
I still experience the periodic slow-down I had since buying my new computer with Mavericks a year ago. This on a top of the line MacBook Pro (late 2013) model with Nvidia GeForce GT 750 and 16 GB RAM. What's strange is that the game has continued to run just fine (without slowdowns) on my MacBook Pro from early 2008 – also with Mavericks.

Now I've made a clean install (formatted the drive) of Yosemite and installed the latest version of Pinball Arcade and it still slows down. It's really sad Farsight doesn't seem to care. :(

Members online

Members online