Box Office Bombs - What pinball tables from this list do you want in TPA?

Box Office Bombs - What tables from this list would you like in TPA?

• Demolition Man

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Flash Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnny Mnemonic

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Krull

• Last Action Hero

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Lost In Space

• Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Meteor

• Starship Troopers

• The Shadow

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Waterworld

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I've wanted to post a pinball poll on here for some time - but I wanted to have a bit of fun with it. So as I was looking at the Top 300 list at Pinside - this idea popped into my head.

So, my choices for this poll were any film that didn't make back it's budget here in the US. Using that criteria - I came up with ten box office bombs as your picks. Notable omissions from this list are:

Stargate- While the film didn't do extremely well at the box office,it did better than what the critics said it would make. It was later turned into a successful tv series - not to mention that we probably don't have the films Independence Day,The Day After Tomorrow, & 2012 if the film had tanked.(Not to mention another flick on this list - but I'll get to that) For the record - I like the pin & I hope it makes it into TPA someday.

Congo- Box office take was a huge let down from Jurassic Park, (both films based on novels by Michael Crichton) but still made enough cash to qualify it as a success.

Godzilla- Yes,the movie was awful. After all was said and done - IMO,the best parts of Godzilla were the awesome teaser trailer with the for crashing into the museum,and the fact that Armageddon makes fun of it in the opening segment of that film. Yet,for all it's cheesiness - it did make some money & a pretty decent animated series based on the film.

Because it's my poll - I'm adding Krull,because of the extreme rarity of the pinball table,that really cool looking glave,and the fact that the movie bombed badly. So that makes eleven total.

You can vote up to three times if you'd like - and discuss why you voted the way you did. I'll post my picks later.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Tough when I can only vote for one, because I'd make my Top 3 Demolition Man, The Shadow, then Starship Troopers. So I voted for Demolition Man.

Demolition Man is a fun movie, with three huge stars in it - Sly Stallone, Wesley Snipes, Sandra Bullock - and the pin is free-flowing with a great claw toy.
The Shadow, I think I saw the movie once, after I'd played the pin, and wasn't overly impressed. The pin though is fantastic fun, but it has those extra blue buttons to control the ramp diverters, could make the controls a bit iffy.
Starship Troopers the movie <> Starship Troopers the book. Which is a good thing, because blowing up bugs is far more interesting than political lecturing. The pin, I played a bit, but not as much as Demolition Man or The Shadow, and I recall liking it.

Of the remaining tables up there, I've only played LAH (bad pin based on a bad movie) and Frankenstein (entertaining enough pin for a while, never saw the movie).

There is a Meteor in the background in the move Dodgeball (it's in the break room at Average Joe's Gym), which I watched on cable at the weekend....

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Tough when I can only vote for one, because I'd make my Top 3 Demolition Man, The Shadow, then Starship Troopers. So I voted for Demolition Man.

I'm guessing I still screwed up something somewhere. I'll look into getting it fixed.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm guessing I still screwed up something somewhere. I'll look into getting it fixed.

Actually maybe I screwed up and didn't realize I was allowed multiple votes? You mention it at the bottom of the opening post but I didn't read that until after I'd voted :)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I think Shadow is the best game but I voted for Frankenstein. I've only played Frankenstein 4 or 5 times, but I found it interesting enough that I'd like to play it more.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Tough poll, but I'm gonna go with "Demolition Man".

My second choice would've been "Last Action Hero", as both are a total blast to play, and I've played both many times in real life.

(Side note: After checking, I wasn't aware that "Demolition Man" got bad reviews? I'm kind of surprised, it was a big deal back in the day. I remember going to Taco Bell when I was a kid and getting a poster with some kind of combo meal. lol I love that movie, one of Snipes's best roles, though he should've given a piece of his salary to Dennis Rodman for his blatant ripoff of him. lol)

Last edited:
N

netizen

The Shadow is probably the best of the lot, so it got my vote. If I could pick three as per the OP then Flash Gordon and Johhny Mnemonic would be my other two picks.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
The Shadow is probably the best of the lot, so it got my vote. If I could pick three as per the OP then Flash Gordon and Johhny Mnemonic would be my other two picks.

Something is going on with the poll setup. It's being looked into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts