California Extreme or the Pacific Pinball Expo?

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
I was thinking about checking out one of these events this year, and I was wondering if any of you here had an opinion on either? The California Extreme is coming up pretty soon, and has many great pins to play, as well as some great classic gaming. But the Pacific Pinball Expo sounds like it could be even more amazing for the pin-centric gamer with over 400 tables set to free play!

http://www.caextreme.org/

http://pacificpinball.org/events

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I go to both every year. Heck, CAX is held 20 minutes from my house, so it's my duty to go. If your focus is strictly pinball and its' illustrious history, then the Pacific Pinball is a must. I think it's got ALL the machines. I prefer CAX tho', because even tho' it's only got half the number of pinballs, it's the fun half. A lot of the machines at Pac Pin are only interesting in a historical sense. After fiddling with a few of the ancient mechanical (not EM) machines a couple a times, you get the point. CAX has the advantage of having classic 80s video games as well, thereby thinning the lines down for waiting your turn on Medieval Madness. Also, who doesn't like a game of Atari Star Wars when they get the chance?

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for the replay Fungi. Another quick question, do you think it would be a bad idea to go with a baby in a stroller or carrier? I'm not worried so much about the noise as much as the crowds. Whats your opinion? Have you seen people at either with a little one there while they play?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I've never noticed carriages at either. I'd say the crowd thickness is comparable to an arcade at Disneyland on a Saturday. It varies throughout the day tho'. I speak of both shows.

brad

Jun 23, 2012
I went on sunday and had a blast. Nice selection of pins, not too crowded, nice hotel, friendly bar staff etc.
It was good to finally play these tables for real.
I found that the lamp and genie look better on my screen then in real life, haha weird. But arabian nights is awesome irl.
Played family guy for the first time and love d it especially the mini stewie table. Also transformers was
pretty awesome for a new one. Xenon was beautiful. Doctor dude and whirlwind were awesome.
Pretty much every table was occupied but no lines really except for medieval madness. it seems the pins were more popular then the arcade games. I'll definitely be there next year!

Last edited:

brad

Jun 23, 2012
Yeah, that Xenon with the LEDs shows up every year. It's so purty.
Totally. I'm from san jose as well. Where do you usually go to play?
Ive just been hitting up golfland sunnyvale when we take our son. And theatre arcades after movies.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Totally. I'm from san jose as well. Where do you usually go to play?
Ive just been hitting up golfland sunnyvale when we take our son. And theatre arcades after movies.

Sadly, I've given up looking for machines in the wild. I miss the days of the arcade in every mall. CAX and the PacPin Expo are my two places of refuge.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I thought about volenteering with setup to get in free but Id probably need a hotel room, Id be down to split or share a room bring the PS3 TPA in the room before doors open then 14 hours of pinball. Im in SANTA ROSA and Id rather stay down there than make multiple trips, we still got a month to plan! Anybody? Im 32 and staight just gettin that out there.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Hotel within walking distance $140 a night, also if you can volunteer you'll get hooked up! Depending on your commitment level, but 6hr. free t-shirt and weekend pass is better than 4hr. 1 day pass. Hence hotel room (BASE CAMP) with amenities between gaming...I will easily split a room and take the couch. Correspond with me IM GOING EITHER WAY but I'd like to volunteer and get weekend pass FREE we'd show up thursday to help with final setup get into VIP party and then check in hotel, stay friday night and leave saturday night 1 night 4 room 3 days of pins. Its $30 1 day.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts