BlahCade Podcast #9 - Ambiance

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
First things first...you may notice we are no longer calling the podcast the "Barcade", but instead it is now the "BlahCade". Listen to the podcast to find out why! We introduce a new segment, Back In Time With the Timelord, where our Chicago dweller tells us a little story about why pinball is based in the Windy City. Also covered, summer movies you may or many not want to see (part 2), and yet another new segment where behind the scenes questions about making movies can be asked of shutyertrap. We finish off with some gripes we'd like to see addressed in TPA, and a contest (of sorts).

You can find the download for the podcast here.

If you would like the RSS feed, find it here.

Lastly, for all the Apple junkies, the iTunes version can be found here.

Be social with us!

On Twitter...

• @BlahCade
  • @shutyertraps
  • @jaredmorgs
  • @drecksclown

On Google+

BlahCade Podcast

Via Email

BlahBlahBlahCade@gmail.com

The contest is we need a new logo, something with a speech bubble that is better than the 2 minute job Jared did for the Google+ page! If you can make something up for us and we like it, we'll have you on as a guest for one of our podcasts! Submit entries to the above email or contact us via Twitter. How can you pass up an offer like that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Great podcast! I do agree that more polish and added features is needed, and they are probably coming. I would love to see the artwork issues get more caught up, such as putting the lighted back box topper back on Pin*Bot and the lightning bolt stickers placed on both ends on the neon tube casing in Cirqus Voltaire.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That's great to see! Lets see them go back in time to Season 1 and 2 on other platforms then I'll be singing their praises. It's a good start though. Keep up the great work, Scott (if you're reading this).

Yeah man, hopefully all those table fixes apply to the other platforms too, eh? I'm guessing we'll see them rolled out in mobile with the next update.

...or as my avatar would say.....OHHHH YYYYYEEAAAAAHHHH!!!

BJ Wanlund

Dec 29, 2012
Oh man, the Slurpee Commandments segment made me laugh SO hard!!! Great job! Also, I do have a plastic Slurpee cup, but I may need to invest in a dual-flavor cup as well.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Nicely done.

SYT, I think I may have the answer to your question about why Zen has multiplayer on Console but not PC. This is just a guess, so I could be wrong.

Consoles have library code and server code already built to handle matchmaking, connection, and communication. On PC you need to purchase or build your own systems for that. I think Steam has a matchmaking service, but I haven't gotten that far into it. You still need to build a networking library (or find one) which is quite a bit of work.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Any chance of getting the Slurpee 10 Commandmants in a font worthy of its stature?

Additional comment (s):
Yes, the theme music for TPA needs work. Maybe someone with keyboard talent (don't EVEN look at me. I play the stereo) can do something cool.
Yes, there are "low hanging fruit" regarding TPA. And I certainly don't have any insight into what goes on at TPA or FS. But, what gets done first? For me, I'd happily give up the strobe light on AFM to get the multi-player ability. And that's just one thing, I know. But I'm sure there's a decision process to decide what to do. Sure am glad I ain't them..

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Nicely done.

SYT, I think I may have the answer to your question about why Zen has multiplayer on Console but not PC. This is just a guess, so I could be wrong.

Consoles have library code and server code already built to handle matchmaking, connection, and communication. On PC you need to purchase or build your own systems for that. I think Steam has a matchmaking service, but I haven't gotten that far into it. You still need to build a networking library (or find one) which is quite a bit of work.
Hey Mike

(about to talk Android here, which I understand isn't your area)

In the case of Android, you have Google Play Games, which has a multi-player module.

Could this tech be leveraged to provide the multi-player services Ryan tested in Head2Head on Android some builds back?

He hit a big dead end with regard to packets over mobile, which I'm pretty sure would be handled by the core Google Play framework.

I know at the time the idea was to create a cross-compatible solution. For my money, I'd want to plug into the ecosystem's offering if it was fit for purpose. Think of the development $$$ saved.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Hey Mike

(about to talk Android here, which I understand isn't your area)

In the case of Android, you have Google Play Games, which has a multi-player module.

Could this tech be leveraged to provide the multi-player services Ryan tested in Head2Head on Android some builds back?

He hit a big dead end with regard to packets over mobile, which I'm pretty sure would be handled by the core Google Play framework.

I know at the time the idea was to create a cross-compatible solution. For my money, I'd want to plug into the ecosystem's offering if it was fit for purpose. Think of the development $$$ saved.

Possibly. I don't now really anything about android or development for it. So I can't give a good answer.

I did however hook up his head to head code on the PC version (took a few hours today) and was able to play a game with another programmer.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I was never a big Slurpee guy but I enjoyed getting refills on Double Gulps at 7-11's. I have noticed over the years the cups have gotten smaller and are now all clear. I think when the Double Gulps were 64 ounces and the cup was orange people were shoplifting merchandise with the giant cup. I had a friend that would steal string cheese and tall cans of beer with the Double Gulp.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts