Zaccaria Pinball - new physics engine

Zsolt

A.S.K. Homework
Apr 2, 2013
Hey guys!

We have made a short video footage of upcoming physics engine. Please check it and let us know what you think.

Please take into consideration that video has been recorded by 60 fps but Youtube is converted to 30 fps that's why there is lag sometimes on the video.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hey guys!

We have made a short video footage of upcoming physics engine. Please check it and let us know what you think.

Please take into consideration that video has been recorded by 60 fps but Youtube is converted to 30 fps that's why there is lag sometimes on the video.

Will this make it into the Android port, or will you be porting the engine after it is "proven" on iOS?

Flipper bump

Jan 20, 2014
Hi Zsolt and thanks for this opportunity to watch the progression you guys made with the new physics engine, its abit difficult to give a good judgement considering the length and the lag on the footage but i notice a more controlled and flexible ball beheaviour watching it move over the table, an improved ballcontrol with the flippers and abit more bounce (elasticy) in contact with slingshots and bumpers.

I found a short footage of a real Zacc Locomotion which i will post underneath this message, where i notice a more increased bounce (elasticy) between the ball, slingshots, bumpers etc, also the ball seems to be more in contact with different elements on the table,

So finally i would say theres a big improvement being made compared to the current physics engine and with abit more tweaking it could come really close to the real stuff.

http://youtu.be/UtbRFWAh6yY

night

May 18, 2012
I agree with Flipper bump, there need to be more rubber bounce on the slingshots/bumpers/rubber elements, watching the youtube and a lot of other Zaccaria youtubes, you will notice a lot(!) of bounce. It is still too stiff now. If the slider of the physics settings would allow us to go from zero bounce towards all the way 'over the top' bounce, then we would be able to find the sweet spot of correct bounce ourselves, (which is not the case at the moment).
If this is the maximum bounce in the video then it's not realistic yet. Perhaps we need to see more vids for better judgement?

Note: I have no problem with the amount of bounce on the flippers, that seems good in the vid. Do others agree with me?

Another youtube from Blackbelt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38UF533WlCs Watch between 0:50 and 0:53, see how the ball bounces off the top of that slingshot?! Boing........ boing........! You see? This will make the physics so much more alive, more fresh. Like it's springtime! :)

Thanks for showing the work in progress Zsolt, please share more!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I've watched the vid a few times and I agree the action around the flippers seems much improved.
But I'm still concerned about the pop bumper area. There are three pops yet I see very little action. Usually when you get a ball in the pops the ball will jump around in there a bit and dance it's way out. This looks a little lethargic to me. Is this a product of Zacc pop bumpers, or does this area need a bit more tweaking?

night

May 18, 2012
But I'm still concerned about the pop bumper area. There are three pops yet I see very little action. Usually when you get a ball in the pops the ball will jump around in there a bit and dance it's way out. This looks a little lethargic to me.

Yes, it looks as if the bumpers are set to it's lowest level in the custom settings.

When is the update for IOS?

It's ready when it's ready. Look at the video, help Zsolt out. c'mon! What do you think about the physics?

W1LDD ONE

Jul 21, 2013
I can't tell much by the video frame rate is too slow. We need to physically play it period. Anything is better than what we have now. I'am not playing this app. any longer until we get this update. Right now physics are not cutting it so bring on anything it's better than nothing. This app.needs a lot of work right now.

Last edited:

Flipper bump

Jan 20, 2014
Yes the ball physics as seen on the vids of real zaccs are very well expressed in words in the posts by Night and Kolchak, the physics are more alive more fresh, the ball jumps around and dances it's way out.

Indeed, when the ball is moving around on the playfield the gameplay is much more alive, and the way the ball is in flexible contact with the elements on the table is nicely discribed like a dance, not stiff but elastical and with less desire to drain.

It would be great news if this kind of physics behaviour could be accomplished by some tweaks with the new physics engine 😀

night

May 18, 2012
For me this video gives a really good impression of real Zaccaria physics and good fun to watch the gameplay.

http://youtu.be/z3w6ooJj6iE

One of the best examples!

-To Zsolt: I love the look of these transparent flippers, can this effect be achieved by placing an image-map of a 'fake' transparent texture on the flippers? It don't have to be real-time transparency, I think the illusion of transparency is enough.

image-25.jpg

Also, Pinball Champ has very characteristic flippers with cool red stripes.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-08-12%2Bat%2B16.27.36.png

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
I agree with what everybody has been saying. This new engine, with tweaks for added bounciness, could really improve this already-great collection.

And while we’re at it, would it be too hard to back port this engine to your other collections of tables? With this new engine, some of your older tables could play a whole lot better. I’d especially love to see the ball moving like this in the Art of Pinball tables. Pretty please?

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
The pop bumpers look pretty lethargic. Hard to judge without playing, especially with the frame rate jumping. That being said I really appreciate you reaching out to us players to try to make this the best app possible. My main concern with these tables is nudging. Will the new physics address that? Again thanks for bringing these tables to life.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.