Zaccaria flipper gap

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I'm just loving Zaccaria pinball more and more and hope it will be polished more!

So, flipper gap at "Original" which is the default seems so narrow. So the "light" setting is actually the real table setting? And why it's called "light" if someone knows..

night

May 18, 2012
This is indeed a confusion part. I think the names should be the other way around; light = original as how it is on real life tables, and original = for little babies :)

night

May 18, 2012
Btw, a complete nonsense option if you ask me, same as the option to choose the ball size. Zaccaria is an app that simulated the original tables as close as possible, this kind of options should be left out. Also, I think there should be 1 standard physics setting and of course 1 custom physics mode with all the sliders and options for the Gold pack people. People are getting confused with too many unnecessary options.

Flipper bump

Jan 20, 2014
Btw, a complete nonsense option if you ask me, same as the option to choose the ball size. Zaccaria is an app that simulated the original tables as close as possible, this kind of options should be left out. Also, I think there should be 1 standard physics setting and of course 1 custom physics mode with all the sliders and options for the Gold pack people. People are getting confused with too many unnecessary options.

😉

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I'm not a English native speaker but I guess "narrower" or "wider" would sound much more intuitive.

Yeah, option for the ball size feels kinda meaningless.. super slow motion feature which I remember implemented on some ASK table (or was it time reverse function) would be straight forward to the casual gamer... well, that's a crazy option tho!

Pavig

Oct 29, 2013
The larger ball feels more natural for some of the older style tables so ball size isn't completely useless. I would also be happy if ball material had an impact on weight and friction, but from my testing it doesn't appear to.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Night: although I agree with you, we can't deny there are many casual gamers out there who will crap on a 1dollar game if it's too hard. I don't think pinball Devs business wise can afford to ignore this possibility. It's unfortunate But that's the way it is. Other pinball Devs take a different approach where the gameplay is geared towards longer ball times too.

At least the option is there for more realistic flipper gap, I just wish that would be the default, but no biggy.

night

May 18, 2012
Night: although I agree with you, we can't deny there are many casual gamers out there who will crap on a 1dollar game if it's too hard. I don't think pinball Devs business wise can afford to ignore this possibility. It's unfortunate But that's the way it is. Other pinball Devs take a different approach where the gameplay is geared towards longer ball times too.

At least the option is there for more realistic flipper gap, I just wish that would be the default, but no biggy.

Yes, true, you are right. Better more than less options.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Night: although I agree with you, we can't deny there are many casual gamers out there who will crap on a 1dollar game if it's too hard. I don't think pinball Devs business wise can afford to ignore this possibility. It's unfortunate But that's the way it is. Other pinball Devs take a different approach where the gameplay is geared towards longer ball times too
I tried it and it's not realistic. The whole bottom of the playfield is too narrow and with a normal gap the flippers are a bit in the inlanes and partially hidden behind the islands. That's difficult to play. The recreation isn't accurate. And i don't understand the difference between “Arcade“ and “Simulation“. One of both is superfluous.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
A lot of Zacc pins actually have the slings over part of the top of the flipper. Look at some of the real pics on IPDB. Which pin do you think this is not realistic on?
Arcade and simulation flipper gap is just an option. Set it to the wider one and you are done. Simple
But the option is there for beginners, who may need a little help. No bother for me.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
A lot of Zacc pins actually have the slings over part of the top of the flipper. Look at some of the real pics on IPDB. Which pin do you think this is not realistic on?
Locomotion

But the option is there for beginners,
But why 2 of them? (both with small gap)
There should be a challenge mode for the well done leaderboards (nice with picture). At the moment it's a competition about adjusting the table to the most easy.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I just compared the game to the IPDB lower playfield photos of locomotion. To me the relationship between the slings and flippers look pretty spot on. Or do you just not like the original design? I wish the slings were a little more out of the way on some of the Zacc pins to provide more backhand shots, but I guess there is nothing we can do about that, since that is how they were designed.

Yeah, they have a lot of settings that can effect the leaderboards. You can make the table play slow, close the flipper gap, or play 5 ball instead of 3. But everything is just all lumped together. My advice is to set the table the way you like to play it and not obsess about the leaderboards. Setting the table up as easy as possible isn't going to be fun for you to play. This is all about fun, make it fun for you.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
I just compared the game to the IPDB lower playfield photos of locomotion. To me the relationship between the slings and flippers look pretty spot on. Or do you just not like the original design? I wish the slings were a little more out of the way on some of the Zacc pins to provide more backhand shots, but I guess there is nothing we can do about that, since that is how they were designed.
Maybe the flippers are too thick. It feels wrong. Balls rolling down the slings are hard to get. On the other hand i can stop the ball in the inlane. None of the TPA tables plays like that.

night

May 18, 2012
[MENTION=3567]Zorgwon[/MENTION]: Comparing Zaccaria with TPA is a wrong start, Zaccaria is a whole different ballgame. It is much harder, but also feels more real imo. Flipper gap should be set to the widest setting, but the naming in the menu is wrong and confusing. At default it is set at the narrow gap. Do understand that the standard physics settings do not represent the potential and realism of Zaccaria. Customising is a must.

74-89

May 2, 2014
I think it's right that the default be set to easy for the new or casual gamer, as adjustments usually will come later.

"Light" as the designstion for "easy version" also seems perfectly logical to me.

74-89

May 2, 2014
Strange! In 5.1.1 at least, on the iPad I use most of the time, so not sure about iOS7 because I don't want to check it right now, Arcade is set to Light (narrow gap), Simulation to Original (wide gap) and under Custom it is adjustable. In any case, Light is narrow flipper gap hence easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts