Bug Ball movement patch

KronusScythe

Aug 24, 2014
It doesn't really seem restricted to any one table, but the one that springs to my mind is medieval madness. If it were a real table I would simply remove the glass and remove the dust and debris from the playing surface. Can't really do that here ;). I tried restarting the game and even shutting down the console but nothing helps. It's like the ball glitches a little every once and a while and changes it's momentum and direction with out touching anything. I also found during multiball the ball weight seems to change and it's sometimes like hitting cement. Any ideas?

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
I'm pretty sure I had the ball going through flippers on Big Shot yesterday. I was streaming on Twitch at the time. I went back and looked at my archive, stepping through it one frame at a time, and it sure seems that part of the flipper passed through the ball. I can't be 100% sure because my stream was 30fps, but it felt like it at the time and what exists on the video archive appears to back it up.

KronusScythe

Aug 24, 2014
Maybe my expectations for this game are too high. I've spent many years playing real pinball and I just don't think they are able to reliably recreate real ball movement yet. On the plus side, it's nice to see some of the old tables again.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Maybe my expectations for this game are too high. I've spent many years playing real pinball and I just don't think they are able to reliably recreate real ball movement yet. On the plus side, it's nice to see some of the old tables again.

I don't think that they will be able to accurately recreate real ball physics until the PFPS (physics frames per second) can reach 1000. Right now they say that they do physics calculations at twice the FPS and that it ramps up when near the flippers. Of course it also has to make accurate calculations at each point. There probably has to be an equal increase in saturation of points on their mesh that makes up every object on the table.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I can't say that I've experienced anything like what the OP is talking about in this game.

KronusScythe

Aug 24, 2014
Are you playing the ps4 version? I noticed you've been on this forum since 2012. Maybe it plays differently on older systems. Possibly didn't port over to next gen well.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Are you playing the ps4 version? I noticed you've been on this forum since 2012. Maybe it plays differently on older systems. Possibly didn't port over to next gen well.

Yes, before PS4 I played it on PS3.

The only thing I can think of that might be similar to what you're talking about is that on the PS4 version of Cirqus Voltaire, during multiball, while using one of the lower camera angles, the framerate can get a little jittery. I think the jittering was reported on some other tables as well--that issue was the subject of much heated debate soon after PS4 launch. ^_^

However, it didn't involve the ball going off in unexpected directions. You might try capturing video of the problem you're seeing so the rest of us can get a better idea of what it is.

Last edited:

KronusScythe

Aug 24, 2014
I'll try that. Maybe a compilation of clips when I play again.
On another note, try attack from mars. The skill shot when you hold the left flipper up and shoot the ball. Notice when the ball comes down the left side and hits the upraised left flipper it will bounce to varying degrees. Sometimes it hardly bounces off the flipper at all, and othe times it will bounce clear over the left bumper and down the left lane slot. Something you don't see on a real pinball table. The ball launches approximately at the same rate of speed and hits a stationary flipper. The balls bounce will fluctuate by a small degree, but not nearly to the extent as this game. Not sure if it's related to strange ball movement.

KronusScythe

Aug 24, 2014
Is there a bug report area in the pinball arcade web site? Seems silly to post all the bug reports on a fan forum that the devs may never see. It's not my intension to embarrass the devs but to help improve the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts