no dlc trophies for ps3/vita

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
yet another kick in the face from farsight...

360 will geit their cheevos

That (lack of) sound you hear is people not giving two spits about trophies/accomplishments. I don't know why those things are such big deals they cause all sorts of issues.

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
That (lack of) sound you hear is people not giving two spits about trophies/accomplishments. I don't know why those things are such big deals they cause all sorts of issues.

well knowing that 360 has them and ps3 won't means I'm not getting as complete a product as others which means I simply won't pay for an inferior product.

fool me once, farsight, shame on you...

fool me twice....

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Trophies / Achievements are valuable because they give you goals to shoot for, and achieve. It's also hard to get 100% achievements on a game. I've only done it with two so far.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
You kids and your silly trophies and achievements.

I remember the days where we only got a highscore to beat. On a machine they turned off each night. In an arcade that was 8 miles away. And we had to walk there. Through snow.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
You kids and your silly trophies and achievements.

I remember the days where we only got a highscore to beat. On a machine they turned off each night. In an arcade that was 8 miles away. And we had to walk there. Through snow.
Don't forget, we had to walk uphill through the snow. Both ways!

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Trophies / Achievements are valuable because they give you goals to shoot for, and achieve. It's also hard to get 100% achievements on a game. I've only done it with two so far.

Does it matter if it's a PSN Trophy vs an in-game goal? If you need goals to shoot for, the in-game ones should be sufficient.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
TPA for PS3 should have them I would think. The first 4 tables did why wouldn't the next ones not? I really don't focus too much on trophies but it is nice to take a look at what you've accomplish or if you're in the mood to complete games 100%. I do this for the lego games. It's fun in the Lego games but sometimes it might be a chore on others.

The first 4 tables I completed all the goals and go trophies for TOM TOTN and Ripley's but have no intention to accomplish it in Black Hole. I might but I'm not a fan of the table.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Is there an actual source for this claim or is this just an assumption based on the fact there are no trophies in the Vita DLC?

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
I think the trophies are important to some people, its the american way these days. Everyone gets a trophy no matter how good you are that way nobody is special because everyone is special.

If they want a suggestion of a worthwhile trophy they should look at implementing a high score leaderboard that is functional and trustworthy. That would be a trophy I would care about.

A trophy system that actually meant something would be great, as in its not yours to keep forever.

First guy to get 10 way combo loops on TOM? Boom, trophy...but it leaves and goes to the guy who gets 13, etc.

The system now is as hollow and meaningless as a digital gold sprite.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Are you serious?!?

This is very bad for Farsight to leave off trophy support on DLC tables!

Sure some people don't care either way, but I can assure you there are a lot of people who do care!
Just check some of the PS3 trophy websites. They are very active forums.

It's also a fact that DLC with trophy support always sells more than without.

I honestly don't see the reasoning behind not including trophy supported DLC.

It seems they had it all set in place to add them too: 3 Trophies per table as standard, rinse repeat on EVERY DLC table....

Trophy #1: Achieve a top 5 local high score on xxxx
Trophy #2: Complete the Standard Goals on xxxx
Trophy #3: Complete the Wizard Goals on xxxx

I love Farsight, but this really comes off of as laziness to me. :(

To anyone who thinks trophies are silly, worthless, etc.... Why not get rid of the scores while they are at it?
Obviously people who care about their high scores are lame and have way too much time on their hands.. Right?

Also, I hate to make the Zen Studios Vs. Farsight comparison like others have, but in some cases they really should keep an eye on what they are doing at Zen.
With a few minor added features such as XMB music playing & Trophy support on DLC tables, they will come off much more professional.

Last edited:

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
To anyone who thinks trophies are silly, worthless, etc.... Why not get rid of the scores while they are at it?
Obviously people who care about their high scores are lame and have way too much time on their hands.. Right?

There is a difference between a high score and a trophy.

When person A sets the high score ONLY they have it, other people want it...this keeps going until someone puts up a score nobody can beat, that person gets to keep the 'trophy' high score forever.

A trophy system has to be set somewhere near the bottom so that most players will be able to get them with a little bit of work. To the top tier players they seem like such a pathetic low bar they really don't care but if you were to boost them to the point the top 5% of players DID care you piss off the majority of the people. So it has to be set at a level of "who gives a crap" so people don't lose their minds.

A high score is not arbitrary, its not unfair, its not static....and you must put in real effort if you wish to see it remain yours.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
There is a difference between a high score and a trophy.

Well of course there is a difference.
It certainly wasn't my intention to try and say they are one in the same.

When person A sets the high score ONLY they have it, other people want it...this keeps going until someone puts up a score nobody can beat, that person gets to keep the 'trophy' high score forever.

Yes, but if you look at the big picture, the trophy system is the ultimate high score.
It's not just about one game, but about every game you play all contributing to a single high score.

A trophy system has to be set somewhere near the bottom so that most players will be able to get them with a little bit of work. To the top tier players they seem like such a pathetic low bar they really don't care but if you were to boost them to the point the top 5% of players DID care you piss off the majority of the people. So it has to be set at a level of "who gives a crap" so people don't lose their minds.

Sorry, but I totally disagree on this. If you research this a bit more you will see the different trophies and difficulties all follow a system. No bar has to be set low. That's what bronze trophies are for. It's a fair system. Casual players will be happy unlocking a bronze trophy or two while advanced players can go for more.
There are 4 levels of PSN Tropies, each with their own point values.
Bronze:15
Silver:30
Gold: 90
Platinum: 180

More info on the entire PSN Trophy point system can be located here:

If done properly, the bronze trophies will be the easiest, and go up in difficulty beyond that.
The platinum level trophies are often very hard to obtain (as they should be) and reserved for players that wish to put the time into a game
and get as much out of it as possible. I know players who have spent months just to obtain a single platinum trophy. Sure, that sounds crazy to anyone
who doesn't give a crap about trophies, but there are people who don't care about high scores either. I personally like both.

The trophies in The Pinball Arcade are actually well thought out and not a cake walk by any means.
They are a perfect mold for future tables to follow. Pros were not pissed off by them as they are very challenging to get 100% on the 4 tables.
This challenge gives the tables more life and value, and that's never a bad thing.

A high score is not arbitrary, its not unfair, its not static....and you must put in real effort if you wish to see it remain yours.

Well, Neither are trophies, and this brings me to the exact reason they shouldn't neglect to add them!
The trophies in The Pinball Arcade should not be static. They should continue to grow as your table
collection does. Every other DLC with substantial game changing attributes such as a new pinball table (ZEN Pinball, Marvel Pinball) all add 3 more trophies for each new table.

Statistically it will hurt sales by not adding trophies for new DLC tables and to add achievements on the 360 and ignore PS3 players is not going to go well. It really takes very little effort to add them when there is a basic rule system already in place that can be applied to every table.

Last edited:

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I am not sure what everyone is up in arms about here, obviously the omission of the trophies is an unforeseen glitch that will probably be corrected with release of the pack for the PS3. I think it is part of the graphics glitch ... something happened when that code was transformed from being in a hopper to going live ... rest assured they were not omitted by some decision on FarSights behalf not to offer trophies anymore.

And now a word on my take on trophies ... Today trophies on networks (PSN, STEAM, XBOX) are really just an extension of what has already been in the games themselves for quite some time now. If you look at Super Mario World, there were 5 large golden coins in each level ... get all 5 and you get a 1UP. But the real trophies in the game were the hidden keys which unlocked an alternate exit within a level and this in turn would open hidden areas ... It has been years since I played the game and all my facts may not be accurate but the concept of what I am saying is. Ultimately, if you found enough hidden goodies, you were awarded access to to a hidden level in the game, thus extending your play time. If you beat all those levels in the secret zone, if you played the game again, some of the graphics where changed in the game .... the turtles turned into round faces ... etc.

Trophies are really for completionists who can display to the world what they have accomplished. I used to be a completionist but I am not any more. The reason I am not anymore is because games have gotten cheaper and I have more money. In other words, when I was in college and had to pay 30 - 40 bucks or more for game and there was no option for a cheap down loadable game or a place, like ebay or gamestop, to buy a used game ... I would beat a damn game to death!

I have reached the point now that I have so many games on my PS3, PS Vita, and PC that it is rare that I beat a game to death these days ... As I go along, I try to grab what I can, I seek out the goodies in a game, but I will no longer spend days trying to get a single goodie. I just do not have that kind of time anymore. On rare occasion I may decide to beat a game to death, usually a Mario game, but not that often.

I certainly see the value of trophies, I am just not into them that much. There is also a big difference between in game secrets, goodies, etc than trophies on a network .... goodies in a game usually unlock more content of some sort, trophies make you feel good you accomplished something and can prove you did, but to my knowledge, other than that you get nothing. If I am wrong, please tell me.

I think networks with trophies should back them up with real rewards .... earn a platinum trophy in any game and get a coupon for the network emailed to you worth 15 - 20% off your next purchase on the network ... Earn 10 Platinum Trophies in a 12 month period and earn a free down loadable game ... NOW THAT WOULD MAKE ME A COMPLETIONIST AGAIN!

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
Fine, trophies are amazing. The fact I can run them all off on my second pass on most of the games doesn't mean they are too easy, just that I am good. They feel so hollow I don't even bother glance up to see what it was just went ping and lit up in the corner, making a mundane ramp shot is more important.

I just don't see a point to a trophy everyone can get, its like the "limited edition" baseball card you get in a box of Rice Krispies, the kind with the 3d motion effect.

Anyone can get a trophy they try hard enough for, only one person gets the high score...so I guess I don't agree with you that the trophy means more.

Guess I came out of a generation where mediocrity was not celebration worthy....

My ACTUAL point in all this was not a pissing contest about why trophies suck BTW. It was that this is the least important problem with the game that I can possibly think of. This is akin to buying a new car that bursts into flames at random intervals and people getting riled up that they forgot to include floor mats.

Fix bugs, release content to consoles......THEN worry about the gold foil stars.

Last edited:

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
hehe, you should get a trophy for that post! I must admit, the trophies for TPA are kind of lame and they are the same for all tables, but some people love them.

But a note about high scores ... I agree with your philosophy on that ... my problem is, I do not believe the high scores are accurate in the leaderboard and think someone cheated the system some how ... just look at the top score on The Black Hole ... do you really think someone actually got it? In addition, there really needs to be a way to filter the scores depending on the device you are using ... those mobile scores are out of control. I don't even look at the overall leaderboard anymore ... just the friends one, I think it is the only realistic leaderboard I can trust.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
hehe, you should get a trophy for that post! I must admit, the trophies for TPA are kind of lame and they are the same for all tables, but some people love them.

But a note about high scores ... I agree with your philosophy on that ... my problem is, I do not believe the high scores are accurate in the leaderboard and think someone cheated the system some how ... just look at the top score on The Black Hole ... do you really think someone actually got it? In addition, there really needs to be a way to filter the scores depending on the device you are using ... those mobile scores are out of control. I don't even look at the overall leaderboard anymore ... just the friends one, I think it is the only realistic leaderboard I can trust.

These are my exact thoughts. There is no way that the scores I get on my PS Vita can be compared to both PS3 users as well as people playing on their phones. The scores on the Xbox 360 leaderboards seem much more reasonable and consistent to skilled play as compared to these mobile scores that dominate the non-360 leaderboards. This has me worried when tournaments finally get released because they will be inherently unfair if different systems are competing against each other.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts