PS4 Version, No Longer Supported?

RJB

May 1, 2013
Hi! all,

What on earth is going on with TPA on the PS4, are Farsight still supporting this version or have they given up on this version altogether?

I've heard all about the ridiculous reason that we're still waiting for Season 2 (MS/Xbox One etc.) but, what about the tables that the PS3 has been getting recently, why have we not even had these on the PS4?

I'm sorry to say in terms of communication Farsight are easily one of the worst around, but, their continued lack of support for the PS4 version is unforgivable IMO, I bought all there tables in season 1 & 2 on PS3, but, naturally switched to PS4 as soon as I got hold of one, if I had known the PS4 version would be ignored I (and surely many others?) would not have bothered.

@Farsight

What is going on, please! pull your finger out and get this mess sorted on PS4, it should be the ultimate version of TPA, but because of the lack of support it's currently the worst.:mad:

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014
I'd say the PS 4 was the red-headed step child of platforms where TPA is available for purchase, but that may be giving every red-headed step child in the world a bad name in comparison to the amount of neglect that FS has treated the PS 4 with since it's release.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I'd say the PS 4 was the red-headed step child of platforms where TPA is available for purchase, but that may be giving every red-headed step child in the world a bad name in comparison to the amount of neglect that FS has treated the PS4 with since it's release.

Even the Ouya is getting more TPA support. (Holding out both hands) 10,000,000+ PS4s vs. 100,000 OUYAs (guess).

You would think FarSight would give a little more attention to TPA on the PS4-and then FarSight would gladly show you what you get for thinking.

They also support Amazon Fire TV. I've heard it's actually pretty good.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Ouya is getting support because it's basically an Android, so they can just put the Android version on it. PS4 is the only one with the advanced lighting that takes them extra time to make, so it isn't really surprising it's lagging behind even the other PSN platforms. : / Maybe once that lighting model is out on Xbone as well they'll have more incentive to keep it up to date.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
But they have to do the advanced lighting for the PC anyway?! It would be interesting to see how many people own the PS4 version and buy new tables. If you look at the leaderboards, the big money comes from the mobile platforms and not from consoles.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Ouya is getting support because it's basically an Android, so they can just put the Android version on it. PS4 is the only one with the advanced lighting that takes them extra time to make, so it isn't really surprising it's lagging behind even the other PSN platforms. : / Maybe once that lighting model is out on Xbone as well they'll have more incentive to keep it up to date.

The incentive should be the 12 million plus install base. ;) Nah but I definitely agree here. I think that they are working on it and also trying to get the Xbox One version out so that it's caught up.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I bought the season 4 pass on PC. No advanced lighting yet. People seem to get no answer when asking about the updated graphics in the DX11 thread. I have been getting the PS4 tables as they release but if dynamic lighting ever comes to PC no more PS4 for me. I bet they know this and delay the PS4 release on purpose so people with little to no patience (like me) buy graphically inferior versions AND the PS4 version. If the PS4 received updates I would abandon the PS3 and PC versions, I think they know this.

Jigen

Aug 17, 2014
The advanced lighting versions have all different assets. So... when they finish those assets they'll apparently appear on Xbone, then a month later (from what I've read on here before) on PS4 & PC. After THAT, you'll probably still get low-graphics versions first, but there won't be a many many months delay until the good graphics version is released, I presume.

They have to update the graphics on all the Season 2 tables, the remaining Season 3 tables, and now Season 4 tables AND code the entire Xbone version before that version can be released. Then time passes, which they use to make any tweaks for PS4 version, those come out. Then they do the remaining coding to make the new graphics work on all PC DX11 hardware. They have ONE guy doing all the coding apparently, dunno how many are on next gen table assets when they keep making new low-graphics tables. Sooo... time table, 2017 or so, heh.

To them it makes sense to put forth the mobile stuff first while that's hot. Then when there's that many more millions with PS4, Xbone, and DX11 PC hardware cash in on those crowds...

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014
It would be interesting to see how many people own the PS4 version and buy new tables.

If they would consistently release new tables on the PS4, that would be nice. Other than Season One when TPA released on PS 4 on 12/17/13, they've had Fish Tales/Black Rose released on 4/22/14 and High Speed/Junk Yard/Who Dunnit/Black Knight 2000 on 7/22/14. So I'm not sure if new table sales would be any indication, because there really hasn't been any. Add in poor sound quality, multiple bugs, (the original Black Knight table for example), broken leaderboards, no tournaments, lack of promised 3D support, and so on. Then have only 2 updates for your title since it's release almost 11 months ago. To me, that doesn't help with customer retention or sales of DLC. So yes, mobile may be easier and quicker to develop for, leading to easier money, but they're not doing much to help themselves with console sales.
And looking over on the "timeframe for DX11" forum thread, the lack of feature updates on the PC hasn't helped sales there either seeing how many people have posted that they have only
purchased season one and are holding out on future purchases until DX11 is implemented.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
They have ONE guy doing all the coding apparently,...
Not true. I'm aware of at least five, three of whom (Mike Reitmeyer, FlippyFloppy, and Scumble373) maintain a more or less active presence here in the forums depending on their workload. FarSight also has a set of artists separate from the programming team.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Not true. I'm aware of at least five, three of whom (Mike Reitmeyer, FlippyFloppy, and Scumble373) maintain a more or less active presence here in the forums depending on their workload. FarSight also has a set of artists separate from the programming team.

I think they have one engine guy.

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
After one PS4 delay, I complained on the FB page. I was informed in the future they would be released around the time of the PS3 release. I basically said that was a lie. Was banned within minutes. Subject was brought up on this site and a FS guy chimed in and said I must have been abusive. I wasn't and asked him to look into it. Never mentioned again. Pure mendacity.

flywithsean

Apr 20, 2013
After one PS4 delay, I complained on the FB page. I was informed in the future they would be released around the time of the PS3 release. I basically said that was a lie. Was banned within minutes. Subject was brought up on this site and a FS guy chimed in and said I must have been abusive. I wasn't and asked him to look into it. Never mentioned again. Pure mendacity.

The delay on the PS4 for season 2 has to do with some BS exclusivity deal MS wanted before they would let them put Pinball Arcade on the XBOX One. Plain and simple if you are pissed blame Microsoft!

Trenchbroom

Apr 20, 2013
The delay on the PS4 for season 2 has to do with some BS exclusivity deal MS wanted before they would let them put Pinball Arcade on the XBOX One. Plain and simple if you are pissed blame Microsoft!

Which was very similar to Sony locking down TPA as a PS4 exclusive for last year's launch.

At least PS4 owners got to play SOME TPA over the past year.

dingo99

Apr 16, 2014
Which was very similar to Sony locking down TPA as a PS4 exclusive for last year's launch.

Sony did not lock down TPA as a PS4 exclusive. How would that even be possible without a time machine to un-release TPA on PS3, XB360, PC, iOS, Android, Ouya, etc?

In fact, FarSight would have been better off signing a timed exclusivity agreement with Sony.
Read about another dev caught in this dilemma: http://www.igameresponsibly.com/201...ox-for-opting-out-of-exclusivity-in-the-past/
And another: www.joystiq.com/2013/12/04/xbox-one-same-day-launch-clause-nudged-nuclear-throne-to-ps4

MS forced FarSight to delay Season 2 on PS4 because 1) TPA was already available on many platforms, and 2) FarSight did not sign a timed exclusivity agreement for another platform.

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012

I know that deal. I was referring to individual Season 3 (and future seasons) table releases. I knew there would be significant delays for the PS4. Was told otherwise. Was a total lie as we can now see.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I know that deal. I was referring to individual Season 3 (and future seasons) table releases. I knew there would be significant delays for the PS4. Was told otherwise. Was a total lie as we can now see.

Whoever told you that was ignorant of the facts because that was never the plan.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts