Jackbot Northwest Pinball Final via Widescreen display. Lighting FS should aim for?

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Nice video! That's right the light show is great! I have never played Jackbot but I love Pinbot. Pinbot is a players game. Only skilled players will achieve highscores, while the not skilled won't survive for longer than 2-3 minutes. Nuding + ball control is a must. I hope FS will bring Jackbot to TPA.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think the "3 switches or the ball is not considered to be in play" rule is an interesting one. I think that might be unique to JackBot, because I tried this on CV and the theory didn't work. On CV, I hit a volt roll-over button only upon launch, and let the ball drain.

A good tip is to watch the DMD and if it goes from Blinking to not blinking, or moves away from the launch ball animation, that is a good indication that the ball is in play.

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
Bride of Pinbot has a really neat light show too, but it just doesn't come through in TPA. I think those kinds of lighting effects must be pretty difficult to simulate. For instance, in Gorgar, you can clearly see lamps behind the rubbers near the snake pit. When you hit the pit, the plastics flash, though there's no spillover of light onto the playfield and the lamps themselves stay the same brightness. If they can't turn those few lamps on for gorgar and have the playfield glow around them, then I imagine trying to do that for games that came out two decades later is pretty hopeless. So the playfield itself is too evenly illuminated and looks too bright during normal play and then too faint during the special lighting sequences. Basically, it feels like playing the game in a very brightly lit room, not the darker arcades or bars we're used to. But it gives us something to look forward too on our iPad 6 or whatever in a few years.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Very cool. I had never heard of Jackbot before. looks like a very fun table.
I hate watching vids of real pinball tables though because it makes me sad that TPA and Zen/FX2 don't even come remotely close to lighting that exciting.

I'll post this vid of the new WoZ table they revealed at E3. No GI lighting in it yet, but those multi-colored LED's are fantastic looking!

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Here's a better version of the OPs video directly from pinball.org:

[video=vimeo;44970176]http://vimeo.com/44970176[/video]

At first i thought it was boring, but it gets more fascinating by the minute.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
A lot of those pinball.org videos have nice lighting :)

The type of detailed lighting they're trying to do in Pinball Arcade probably just takes a lot of time or something; it seems like some or maybe most of the tables didn't have much time spent in that area. So far I think they've done their best lighting job on Creature.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts