Newbie, and flipper lag issue

Mark Ellis

Nov 18, 2014
Hey guys, long-time pinball fan, and new owner of a PS4. I couldn't wait to try Pinball Arcade, so I went and bought the Season 1 Pro Pack.

The tables are beautiful and faithful to their original counterparts and I just love how they look. The problem is, the flipper lag is so bad, the game is basically unplayable. I've looked and looked at the settings and tried to find a way to fix it, but I'm at my wits end. I can't be the only one who's noticed this. Does anyone have any tips?

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, I did a search and couldn't really find anything.

shoemakesmusic

Jan 23, 2014
For my PS4 in general, I have to set my TV for "Game Mode" to reduce the lag. If it is not set to that, every game is basically unplayable on the PS4. So I would first try some other games on PS4 and see if you have the same problems. I've never noticed more lag with TPA than with other games.

Mark Ellis

Nov 18, 2014
Interesting. I don't even know if I have a game mode on my TV. It's a Sony Bravia, about 3 years old. I'll dig into that tonight, hopefully that works. Never noticed any issues on the only other game I have (Call of Duty), but it might explain why I keep getting my a$$ handed to me in multiplayer.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Interesting. I don't even know if I have a game mode on my TV. It's a Sony Bravia, about 3 years old. I'll dig into that tonight, hopefully that works. Never noticed any issues on the only other game I have (Call of Duty), but it might explain why I keep getting my a$$ handed to me in multiplayer.

A lot of newer ones have a game mode.

Try turning off all processing modes(motion processing, automatic contrast, auto dimming, etc). I prefer all of them off anyway, but that may be just me.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
My old Samsung TV calls it "PC mode" instead of Game mode. Noticeably less lag with PC mode turned on.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

My last TV was a Sony Bravia and it did indeed have a game mode that you can set for each HDMI input.

Mark Ellis

Nov 18, 2014
I couldn't find a "game mode" per se, but I did change some of the "auto" settings. I found a display mode that had "sports," "movie," and a few other ones including "game," but I thought that was just a contrast/brightness thing. I switched it to "game" anyway.

I'm happy to report that the flipper lag was entirely gone. In fact, the first game I played was Fun House, and I scored 55,000,000, beating the Grand Champion score of 44,000,000.

Thanks for all the help, never would've guessed it was a TV thing.

mildew

Dec 15, 2014
omg ditto from me, turns out that for the last year ive been gaming with tv lag. perhaps console gaming will suck less compared to pc gaming for me now.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Its amazing how many people do not seem to be aware of the huge input lag on HDTVs.

Sadly some of us (me) ended up stuck with a TV that STILL has huge lag even in Game or PC mode. :( Its disgusting the manufacturers think this is okay.

mildew

Dec 15, 2014
I new my samsung led tv had a "game mode", but the manuals description made me think it was for increasing game speed, (the old fake vsynch ps1 hack to make games play faster) not reducing latency.

Turns out that putting on game mode on hdmi1 and also setting input name to "pc" switches off all the post processing, but it looks kinda crap.

Now to start working through the secret service menu....

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I like to play as many games as possible without putting on game mode. Even though I have pretty much all processing turned off, games look much better without game mode on. The picture is a bit choppy with game mode on. Moving objects don't look as smooth. But I have to have it on to play TPA and MLB The Show. That's probably why so many people don't think to turn it on for TPA. Its not needed in so many games and people just don't realize how tight the timing is to hit a pinball or a baseball for that matter.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
On Samsung definitely choose PC over game mode!!! First it looks ****ty if you are used to the game mode colors, but it can be adjusted with the right gamma and color settings. Performance/lag is WAY better in PC mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.