Real flipperbutton options on xbox 360.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Hey all,

now playing pinball arcade for few days now, and i cant put my controller down. And here lays the problem: the xbox controller buttons hurt my fingers and on the long therm this will get messy. And after a time playing the hands get cramp.

So, would like real flipperbuttons, this will make a big differance i think.

But what are my options?

Anybody on this site already ussing a gamepad/controller with real pinballl buttons on xbox?

Maybe a controller with buttons on the side? Or do you use an arcade stick with real buttons? (madcatz for example?)

Or can i make a custom controller? I would like a xbox controller and then remove the left and right triggers and bumpbuttons, and replace them by 1 real flipperbutton, on both sides 1. (or maybe only remove the triggers and replace for pinball buttons)

Would this be possible to make?

cheers

edit

forgive my poor photoshopskills, but i treid to explain how i would like to mod my controller. It would look like this, more or less....

pinballcontroller.jpg

And then on both sides 1 button.Maybe adjust the angle a bit, maybe a smaller button, dont know.

Can this be done?

Last edited:
F

Franky

is really everyone allowed to post here? this would be the most painful controller ever produced - the cramps you get before would be like a salvation after playing 1:35 Minutes with this freak. go and get an arcade controller like the Xbox360-Arcade-Pro-Joystick - disassemble it and rearrange the buttons.

You should check out this one: http://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?t=2798 - btw - google is your friend.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
is really everyone allowed to post here? this would be the most painful controller ever produced - the cramps you get before would be like a salvation after playing 1:35 Minutes with this freak. go and get an arcade controller like the Xbox360-Arcade-Pro-Joystick - disassemble it and rearrange the buttons.

You should check out this one: http://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?t=2798 - btw - google is your friend.

No need to be disrespectful.

@dutch, did you try to move control to the bumpers?

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
What frustrates me is the tradeoff between responsiveness and ergonomics: the triggers are much better placed for frequent flipping, but the bumpers get me the fastest response.

Since the triggers are analog, the amount of travel allowed before they register a flip is presumably adjustable in software. I wonder if Farsight just has it set a bit high (to allow for physical controller differences and itchy fingers). Maybe it should be user-adjustable.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
What frustrates me is the tradeoff between responsiveness and ergonomics: the triggers are much better placed for frequent flipping, but the bumpers get me the fastest response.
Yep. I tried using the bumpers but after about 10 minutes my finger joints were starting to lock.

Maybe it's because I've played many different real tables, some of which will flip if you so much as look at the button and others which you have to pound the button (and risk tilt warnings) to get it to flip, but I've not had many issues with using the triggers. Certainly they're much preferable to having to use the touchscreen for control on my iPad.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's too bad the X-Arcade Tankstick doesn't work better with the 360 because the pinball buttons on the side are incredible (it even has extra side buttons for nudging). It works on the 360, but you can't reassign the buttons, and the triggers and bumpers are set to different buttons for fighting games and that sort of thing....

This is the main reason I'm dying to get the PC version of TPA....

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012

Sorry underpeople are allowed to post here.

And your not only rude, your wrong too. Or do you get cramp playing normal xbox controller too in other games? Cause the flipperbutton will be placed on the same posittion as the triggers, so where you got the idea this will be like a salvation, i dont know.

think it will work fantastic, cause i do like the xbox controller, but when you need to ''flip'' with only a finger for hours it starts to hurt. The is for buttons and triggers the same. Plus, with real buttons, i think you have more control.

If on that spot i place a flipperbutton, that would work. But i am not sure if there is enough room to place it there.

edit

wait, maybe you dont understand the idea cause of the very bad photoshoppicture. But the button must be placed on the samew place as the triggers, same angle. So, ergonomicwise nothing is changing, only the trigger is then a real button. (maybe need to remove bumperbuttons too, for making place or get the good angle)

i tried to make a better image of my idea, but in practice maybe it still need to adjust a bit.

xbox-360-wireless-controller-20050513052444515copy.jpg

Its not a bad idea, what are your 2nd thaughts? Still think this cant work?

--

About arcadesticks like a madcatz, meh... its so big, and that stick in the way, flipperbuttons not left right nicely. And building a custom cabinet is maybe something for future, but for now i am looking for a controller for playing on TV, sitting in couch, relaxed, just when you play other console games on the xbox/plays, only now, a controller with 2 flipperbuttons.

I think i just will try it. Maybe it wont work, but ive seen alot of cabinet bulding, and custom controllers etc, and i dont see a reason why it would not work. If there is room, then remove trigger and bumpers, place a flipperbutton there and sold/connect the bumperbuttons wiring with the new buttons.

Bavel, i am from Breda, do you know where i can buy flipperbuttons around here? Maybe different sizes, cause i think i need a smaller one then standard.

Last edited:

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Me neither bavel, ;-), but since i joined this forum and some more, like hyperspin, a new world opened. Maybe its better to open a topic there, cause they understand what i mean more, i guess.

They have wonderful cabinets and controllers, often they use the xbox controller for remapping buttons etc. But i did not see a xbox mod yet with flipperbuttons. I did see some LED lights mods on controllers. Now... if that can be done, this maybe can de done too.

Maybe register at hyperspin and ask what their thaughts are. Worsed thing that could happen to me people i dont know and never will met think i am an idiot. Haha, ;-).

edit

i registered and opened a topic, if you like to know.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/s...modding-a-xbox-controller&p=184021#post184021

Last edited:
F

Franky

what i don't get is - why do you want to create something almost impossible (you will need a complete custom shell for the controller) when it is so much easier to create something that feels like a real flipper? and no, i don't get cramps - never.
And YES, i still think you will get more cramps by adding big, sharp edged buttons to the regular 360 controller. Nevertheless i'd like to apologize for being rude, today it's not my day.

Franky

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
The op just has an idea in his head man, i dont believe hes had any experience in rewiring a controller
what i don't get is - why do you want to create something almost impossible (you will need a complete custom shell for the controller) when it is so much easier to create something that feels like a real flipper? and no, i don't get cramps - never.
And YES, i still think you will get more cramps by adding big, sharp edged buttons to the regular 360 controller. Nevertheless i'd like to apologize for being rude, today it's not my day.

Franky

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012

Franky

Thats an easy one: I want a controller in my hand, and not a big pinball like cabinet on my lap. This mod is not to simulate, but to keep the easyness of consolegaming and have decend buttons.

Flipperbuttons are never sharp, it will cost way less finger movement then a trigger so there is no reason why it would give you more cramps. Yes, i said before, maybe i need smaller ones.

And yes, i am not an experienced modder, but i can connect and sold to parts together. I can find examples on youtube what makes it more easy then you think. And off course i need help and advise, but thats what forums for.

I do not have to mold an own new controller. I can just remove triggers and bumpers and make that part flat, holes are already in.

Only thing what can be a problem is when a flipperbutton is to big on the back.

When you got a xox controller, fitting pinballbuttons and some tools i think you can build this one in an hour. Not difficult, not much work and not expensive.

We shall see.

Maybe there is a similar joystick around for xbox?

speed-link-joystick.jpg

could be a simple solution.

Last edited:
F

Franky

@ Heretic

exactly, that's why i don't understand why he wants to do it the hard way then - and changing buttons also needs a rewiring - so it would be much easier to build the buttons in a bigger box than create a custom shell first and then do a rewiring within the small space.

@ Dutch Pinball ball

i didn't say you need to make it that big. If you like the controller on the picture then just use a smaller wooden box - but still, i think it's easier than modify the original controller. But anyway, i'm really looking forward to your project - i hope you will post creation - good luck (not disrespectful or sarcastic)

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
@ Heretic

exactly, that's why i don't understand why he wants to do it the hard way then - and changing buttons also needs a rewiring - so it would be much easier to build the buttons in a bigger box then create a custom shell first and then do a rewiring within the small space.

Guy seems to want a contoller*shrugs* lot of effort for the form factor tho its possible...sorry about third person dutch i getcha

F

Franky

you can also try to get one of this controllers - maybe you can use the shell then.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Ok Frank, i see what you mean. Thats not a bad idea either, make a small box and rewire, hmm, ok, thanks, nice idea. Then you have enough space.

I will wait for some feedback on other forums, and then i will make ''the'' plan and go for it. Off course, i will let you know how it goes/went.

Even when it will be a total failure, but i think i can make a perfect custom pinballcontroller for xbox. I have 2 hands, and i can copycat youtube videos, ;-).

On the side of this, dont you guys have problems after hours of playing with the xboxcontroller? I can do it with otehr games, but then you dont only use triggers/bumpers all the time off course.

And real pinball machines i could play day after day, never got sore fingers/hands.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Havent bought for xbox in years man...but i may end up buying and doing similar who knows.....if only for easierr nudging

Goosfrahhbahhh

Btw i see nothing after frankys inital message on that last post?

F

Franky

@ Dutch Pinball ball

no actually i don't feel any pain while playing but i don't play that long - 5 hours the longest. I think it's because you have to bend your fingers over a long period of time, at a real pinball table you don't bend your fingers. but it's just a guess.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts