End User License Agreement For The Pinball Arcade Application

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I have been seeing Josh Tolpa trying to scare people on TPA's Facebook Wall by telling everyone that once a license expires that the table the license was present on would be pulled from your platform or device without notice. THIS IS NOT TRUE! XBLA games have disappeared because of expired licenses such as TMNT and Outrun, but they were never deleted from anyone's Xbox like Josh Tolpa wants everyone to believe, they were merely not available for sale anymore on XBLA. I even download Demos of TMNT and Outrun before they were pulled and I still have the ability to download the Demos anytime I like even though they don't appear on XBLA anymore. Friends of mine that own TMNT and Outrun have the freedom to delete and redownload both TMNT and Outrun from XBLA anytime they see fit.

I have posted the EULA for The Pinball Arcade below and would like anyone to show me where it says our tables will be deleted/removed when licenses expire.

FARSIGHT STUDIOS
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
PINBALL ARCADE APPLICATION

THIS AGREEMENT CONTAINS A BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE. PLEASE READ THE AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE ACCEPTING ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

USE OF THIS APPLICATION IS SUBJECT TO THE SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS SET FORTH BELOW. THE TERM “APPLICATION” INCLUDES THE SOFTWARE ITSELF, TOGETHER WITH ANY AND ALL ONLINE AND/OR ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTATION, ASSOCIATED MEDIA, PRINTED MATERIALS AND OTHER ASSOCIATED MATERIALS. THE TERM “APPLICATION” MAY ALSO INCLUDE, WHERE APPLICABLE, ADDITIONAL USER-RESIDENT SOFTWARE WHICH MANAGES THE DOWNLOAD AND OPERATION OF OTHER COMPONENTS OF THE APPLICATION, AND WHICH MAY PROVIDE OTHER FUNCTIONALITY AS WELL, WHICH USER-RESIDENT SOFTWARE MAY BE UPDATED FROM TIME TO TIME WHILE THE APPLICATION IS RESIDENT ON THE USER DEVICE, IN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF FARSIGHT STUDIOS. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY AND ALL TELECOMMUNICATIONS OR OTHER CONNECTIVITY CHARGES INCURRED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE APPLICATION. EXCEPT IN THE CASE OF APPLICATION COMPONENTS PROVIDED BY THIRD PARTIES (WHOSE COLLECTION AND USAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION, IF ANY, ARE GOVERNED BY THEIR OWN RESPECTIVE PRIVACY POLICIES), PERSONAL INFORMATION WHICH YOU MAY PROVIDE TO FARSIGHT STUDIOS OR ITS DESIGNEES IS GOVERNED BY FARSIGHT’S PRIVACY POLICY, AS IT MAY BE UPDATED FROM TIME TO TIME. BY DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, AND/OR USING THIS APPLICATION, YOU ACCEPT AND EXPRESSLY CONSENT TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE WITH FARSIGHT STUDIOS.

1. LIMITED USE LICENSE. FarSight Studios grants you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to install and use one copy of this Application solely and exclusively for your personal use. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are reserved by FarSight Studios. This Application is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in this Application and should not be construed as a sale of any rights in this Application.

2. OWNERSHIP. All title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to this Application (including but not limited to any trademarks, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animation, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, and “applets” incorporated into this Application) are owned by FarSight Studios or its licensors. This Application is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright treaties and conventions and other laws. This Application contains certain licensed materials, and FarSight Studios’ licensors may also protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.

3. YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING: (a) exploit this Application or any of its parts commercially; (b) use this Application, or permit use of this Application, on more than one user device (e.g. computer, handset, PDA or other device) at the same time; (c) make copies of this Application or any part thereof, or make copies of any of its accompanying material; (d) sell, rent, lease, license, distribute, loan or otherwise transfer this Application, or any copies of this Application, without the express prior written consent of FarSight Studios; (e) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise reduce this Application to any human-perceivable form; (f) modify, adapt, translate or otherwise create derivative works based on this Application; (g) disable, modify or otherwise tamper with any anti-piracy/anti-hacking functionality of this Application; (h) remove, disable or circumvent any proprietary notices, marks or labels contained on or within this Application or its accompany material; or (i) export or re-export this Application or any portion, process, copy or adaptation hereof in violation of any applicable laws or regulations. YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, if the Application was provided to you for trial use (e.g. for “beta” testing, and/or for a limited trial period or number of uses): (j) you will not use the Application following the expiration of the permitted trial period or number of uses; and (k) the Application may include code designed to prevent you from exceeding these limits, and such code may remain on your user device after deletion of the Application in order to prevent you from installing another copy and repeating the trial period or extending the number of uses.

4. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (a) THIS APPLICATION IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE; (b) THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THIS APPLICATION IS WITH YOU; (c) FARSIGHT STUDIOS WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY REASON BASED ON YOUR USE OF THIS APPLICATION UNLESS SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LEGALLY INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION; AND (d) FARSIGHT STUDIOS’ ENTIRE LIABILITY AND YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY WITH RESPECT TO THE USE OF ANY SOFTWARE PROVIDED BY OR ON BEHALF OF FARSIGHT STUDIOS WILL BE THE REPLACEMENT OF ANY FARSIGHT STUDIOS SOFTWARE FOUND TO BE DEFECTIVE. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW (OR MAY LIMIT) DISCLAIMERS OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, IN WHICH CASE THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMERS WILL BE ENFORCED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (a) IN NO EVENT WILL FARSIGHT STUDIOS BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM USE, POSSESSION, MISUSE OR MALFUNCTION OF THIS APPLICATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, LOSS OF GOODWILL, COMPUTER OR HANDHELD DEVICE FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION AND DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL INJURY, EVEN IF FARSIGHT STUDIOS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES; AND (b) FARSIGHT STUDIOS’S LIABILITY WILL IN NO EVENT EXCEED THE ACTUAL PRICE PAID FOR THE LICENSE TO USE THIS APPLICATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW CONTRACTUAL LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS AND/OR EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, IN WHICH CASE FARSIGHT STUDIOS’S WARRANTY PERIOD AND LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

6. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other of FarSight Studios’ rights or of your obligations hereunder, the limited license set forth in Section 1 of this Agreement will terminate automatically if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. In such event, you must destroy all copies of this Application and all of its component parts and related materials.

7. Privacy Policy. You hereby authorize FarSight Studios to collect certain personal data about you. Your use of the Application is subject to FarSight’s Privacy Policy found at www.pinballarcade.com, which is hereby incorporated into this Agreement.

8. INJUNCTIVE RELIEF. Because FarSight Studios would be irreparably damaged if the terms of this Agreement were not specifically enforced, you agree that FarSight Studios will be entitled, without bond, other security or proof of damages, to appropriate equitable remedies with respect to breaches of this Agreement, in addition to any and all other remedies which FarSight Studios may have under applicable laws.

9. INDEMNITY. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold FarSight Studios, its partners, affiliates, contractors, officers, directors, employees and agents harmless from all damages, losses and expenses arising directly or indirectly from your acts and omissions to act in using the Product pursuant to the terms of this Agreement

MISCELLANEOUS. (a) This Agreement, including the Privacy Policy, represents the complete agreement concerning the license of this Application between the parties and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements and representations between them regarding the same subject matter. (b) This Agreement may be amended only by a writing executed or electronically accepted by both parties. (c) If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable for any reason, such provision will be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable and the remaining provisions of this Agreement will not be affected. (d) This Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of California as such law is applied to agreements between California residents entered into and to be performed entirely within California, except as it may be governed by United States federal laws.

Arbitration. Any unresolved dispute between the parties to this Agreement, or arising under the terms of this Agreement, shall be decided by arbitration conducted through the services of the American Arbitration Association (hereinafter referred to as the “AAA”). To the extent permitted by law, before either party may begin arbitration with respect to a dispute involving any aspect of this Agreement, such party shall notify the other party for the purpose of seeking dispute resolution. If the dispute is not resolved within sixty (60) days after the initial notice, then a party may proceed in accordance with the following: (a) Notice of demand for an arbitration hearing shall be in writing and properly served upon the parties to this Agreement. (b) Arbitration hearings shall be held in the State of California, San Bernardino County, at a location mutually agreeable to the parties. (c) There shall be one Arbitrator to hear the matter. The parties shall initially agree to a panel of 3 possible Arbitrators to hear the matter and each party shall have the opportunity to name one Arbitrator to be dropped from the panel until one remains. The party giving notice of the Arbitration demand shall be first to indicate its selection. (d) All costs of the Arbitration and the AAA shall be borne equally by both parties to this agreement, regardless of the final decision. The defaulting party as determined by the Arbitrator, shall pay all other costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, incurred by the party in enforcing its rights under this Agreement.
ACCEPTANCE

BY DOWNLOADING THIS TITLE, YOU AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT AND THAT YOU WILL BE BOUND BY AND COMPLY WITH IT.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Mistaken intention is one thing....but you cant please some people....i should dust of my xbox....does tpa have a euro release on 360 yet....i planned on waiting for the pc version but watching some tables make me go ooooo just because of lighting damn you farsight!

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Why would anyone post something so silly? You don't even have to accept an update for an app so how would your tables be forcibly deleted? We don't even know the terms of the licenses that Farsight negotiated, do we?

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
Mistaken intention is one thing....but you cant please some people....i should dust of my xbox....does tpa have a euro release on 360 yet....i planned on waiting for the pc version but watching some tables make me go ooooo just because of lighting damn you farsight!

been playing tpa on my euro xbox360 since... april? well for some time now :) xbla releases in all regions simultaneous, unlike psn

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Josh Tolpa posted more false information and I just want to set the record straight for those of you who are still worried about losing your purchased tables in the future.

Josh Tolpa posted this, "Before you go posting falsehoods, I never said anything could be removed from a console. If the game goes away and you have to get a new hard drive, however, you are SOL."

Josh made this statement earlier as well, "If any license on any table lapses, say goodbye to that. the technology even exists to remove software from your device remotely without your permission."

The fact is, no one can remove any software from your device (or platform) that you've already paid for and if you ever have to get a new hard drive, you can always re-download any software you have already paid for even if it's no longer available for sale.

Josh goes on to say, "In the world of digital-only media, the consumer owns nothing."

The fact is, the consumer owns nothing whether it be digital-only or hard copy media. You merely pay for the right to use the media for private use only and have no other rights to the media such as redistribution. Also, there is no timeframe you are allowed to use the software you've purchased.

The bottom line is, Josh has been spreading inaccurate information on TPA's Facebook Wall for a while now and I decided it was time to let those who were worried about losing their tables in the future know the truth. I don't think it's right for Josh Tolpa to be spreading false information on TPA's Facebook Wall and causing consumers to worry about nothing. My advice to everyone would be to disregard anything Josh has to say regarding The Pinball Arcade's EULA, especially if it has anything to do with you losing tables you've already paid for when licenses expire.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I would imagine the licensing for the tables themselves includes language so the licensor can't revoke it later. This whole thing would be like saying the Twilight Zone license holders could remove the license from Bally, and then if you had that pinball table in your house, someone would come to your house and and paint over all the applicable art to the license, take all the parts off, and all the sound chips.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
These claims make about as much sense as stating that owners of real Addams Family pinball tables can no longer use them because the license from Paramount has expired. All the expiration means is that if Williams somehow got a wild hair and wanted to sell more TAF machines that it would have to reobtain the license to do so. It has absolutely nothing to do with existing TAF machines.

It's the same with these virtual tables.

EDIT: And Mike beat me to it. Well played, sir.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I would imagine the licensing for the tables themselves includes language so the licensor can't revoke it later. This whole thing would be like saying the Twilight Zone license holders could remove the license from Bally, and then if you had that pinball table in your house, someone would come to your house and and paint over all the applicable art to the license, take all the parts off, and all the sound chips.

Exactly...I understand the freedom to post whatever you want on someone's Facebook Wall, but when someone starts posting inaccurate information and causing uncertainty in consumers, these types of posts should not be allowed and removed immediately IMHO.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
These claims make about as much sense as stating that owners of real Addams Family pinball tables can no longer use them because the license from Paramount has expired. All the expiration means is that if Williams somehow got a wild hair and wanted to sell more TAF machines that it would have to reobtain the license to do so. It has absolutely nothing to do with existing TAF machines.

It's the same with these virtual tables.

EDIT: And Mike beat me to it. Well played, sir.

You read my mind! :D

Exactly...I understand the freedom to post whatever you want on someone's Facebook Wall, but when someone starts posting inaccurate information and causing uncertainty in consumers, these types of posts should not be allowed and removed immediately IMHO.

I agree.

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
Josh Tolpa posted more false information and I just want to set the record straight for those of you who are still worried about losing your purchased tables in the future.

Josh Tolpa posted this, "Before you go posting falsehoods, I never said anything could be removed from a console. If the game goes away and you have to get a new hard drive, however, you are SOL."

Josh made this statement earlier as well, "If any license on any table lapses, say goodbye to that. the technology even exists to remove software from your device remotely without your permission."

The fact is, no one can remove any software from your device (or platform) that you've already paid for and if you ever have to get a new hard drive, you can always re-download any software you have already paid for even if it's no longer available for sale.

Josh goes on to say, "In the world of digital-only media, the consumer owns nothing."

The fact is, the consumer owns nothing whether it be digital-only or hard copy media. You merely pay for the right to use the media for private use only and have no other rights to the media such as redistribution. Also, there is no timeframe you are allowed to use the software you've purchased.

The bottom line is, Josh has been spreading inaccurate information on TPA's Facebook Wall for a while now and I decided it was time to let those who were worried about losing their tables in the future know the truth. I don't think it's right for Josh Tolpa to be spreading false information on TPA's Facebook Wall and causing consumers to worry about nothing. My advice to everyone would be to disregard anything Josh has to say regarding The Pinball Arcade's EULA, especially if it has anything to do with you losing tables you've already paid for when licenses expire.

Couldn't FarSight just ban him from their FB page to stop the false information? That false information could lead to a decrease in sales and damages for FarSight. Since the Tolpa guy is spreading false information that could cause financial losses for the company and some fans could freak out and stop buying tables.

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012

This is not intended to stir up a fight or anything, I don't even look at facebook or know who this guy is and Im not supporting anything he say BUT this statement by Pin Wiz is dead wrong. There are already several instances of digital media, PAID digital media on customers devices being remotely killed. No reason to believe its going to happen here with this game, but to say it can't happen or won't ever happen is naive.

If you don't believe me have a Google about Amazon killing Animal Farm and 1984 on Kindle.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
There are already several instances of digital media, PAID digital media on customers devices being remotely killed. No reason to believe its going to happen here with this game, but to say it can't happen or won't ever happen is naive. If you don't believe me have a Google about Amazon killing Animal Farm and 1984 on Kindle.

Yes, this did happen, but Amazon refunded the customer's money, and there was such anger and negative publicity they said they will change their software so this can't happen again.

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
Yes, this did happen, but Amazon refunded the customer's money, and there was such anger and negative publicity they said they will change their software so this can't happen again.

And none of what you said is contrary to my post. It has happened, continues to happen and the technology exists to do it.

For all the big cases like Amazon and the overly ironic 1984 deletion there are a million little ones.

Before I had a smart phone and could make my own ringtone clips I had about 7 paid rings on my old Verizon phone. One day my phone goes back to default and when I check on the ring files and try to play them I get a notice that the license has expired.

My thought was "I paid 3 bucks for 20 seconds of a badly compressed version of a song that I already own...which only cost me 99 cents btw, and now 2 years later I have to re-buy that 20 seconds?" Guess I should have read that 20 pages of boilerplate...on my 1.5" phone screen...a little more closely.

This has happened to me with dozens of legal digital copy files from purchased Blu Rays, one day they just go dead right on your computer.

This is when you look up and see the pirates laugh. Stolen content never goes out of date, doesn't get remote killed and does not lock you out of a movie/game when the seller has server problems or goes out of business.

Face it, people playing by the rules get kicked in the junk all the time and we just sort of take it. To say this sort of behavior can't, won't or has not happened is just silly. Half of us are playing on Sony equipment, the kind and gentle folks who brought you a root kit virus on legal music CD's a few years ago.

All my stuff is legal, I support game makers I want to see continue making stuff is the main reason why. But there is also that I don't want the storm troopers to come knock down my door and take me to rapey-time prison for 20 years because I bit torrented Game of Thrones. So we are stuck in this "Brazil" like world where you must play by the rules or fear overkill retaliation BUT while playing by the rules are subject to petty, infuriating behavior by the companies you support.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
You guys watch to much movies, just play the game and dont worry about problems that have a tiny tiny tiny chance to raise over a decade or 2.

If this is worrying you, i think you have a great live. Enjoy it.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
This is not intended to stir up a fight or anything, I don't even look at facebook or know who this guy is and Im not supporting anything he say BUT this statement by Pin Wiz is dead wrong. There are already several instances of digital media, PAID digital media on customers devices being remotely killed. No reason to believe its going to happen here with this game, but to say it can't happen or won't ever happen is naive.

If you don't believe me have a Google about Amazon killing Animal Farm and 1984 on Kindle.

Those books were removed because a company put them on the Kindle store without acquiring the rights to do so which made them illegal. We're not talking about pulling tables that FarSight didn't acquire the rights to, we're talking about pulling tables because of certain licenses expiring. I understand what you're saying, but we're talking about two totally different situations.

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
Those books were removed because a company put them on the Kindle store without acquiring the rights to do so which made them illegal. We're not talking about pulling tables that FarSight didn't acquire the rights to, we're talking about pulling tables because of certain licenses expiring. I understand what you're saying, but we're talking about two totally different situations.

And I also gave 2 examples that affected me, not some some random person, that happened in the last 3 years. In total I have had more than 25 items of legal digital content blocked or deleted remotely due to a license expiring, that is directly related to the subject we are discussing. It happens, to pretend it does not is doing a disservice to anyone who purchases digital content.

This does not even begin to address the issues that will arise when PS3 is no longer supported and games that require signing in to PSN will just become a digital brick. Anyone who thinks the average person is not or will not be affected by this in a serious way in coming years is kidding themselves. If laws affecting DRM content sold by parties who abandon the business or go out of business are not dealt with soon millions of people could find out just how much they paid for things they though they owned but do not.

And Dutch Pinball, if its not a concern to you then don't comment. Go live your life free of any digital media and their associated use rights.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
And I also gave 2 examples that affected me, not some some random person, that happened in the last 3 years. In total I have had more than 25 items of legal digital content blocked or deleted remotely due to a license expiring, that is directly related to the subject we are discussing. It happens, to pretend it does not is doing a disservice to anyone who purchases digital content.

And Dutch Pinball, if its not a concern to you then don't comment. Go live your life free of any digital media and their associated use rights.

Can you give me any examples of digital games that were removed because of expiring licenses? After all, we are talking about digital games here.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.