Zen Pinball - Avengers Chronicles

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I just bought The Avengers add on pack which came out yesterday on PS3. It came with four tables all revolving around, you guessed it, Avengers characters. You got one based on the movie and three based on different story lines which involved The Avengers: Hulk World War, Fear Itself and The Infinity Gauntlet. Being a LONGTIME fan of Thanos I was really looking forward to The Infinity Gauntlet. That was, until I heard him speak during gameplay. Whoo boy. I know I shouldn't be expecting much but, man, I just never imagined Thanos sounding like that in the comics. Honestly, I think most of the Marvel characters sound a bit cheesy. I know its all based around comics and movies, but, it does detract from the experience.

Anyway, how do they play? Hulk and Avengers play like No Fear. Flow, flow, flow. Ramps, ramps, ramps. They're decent but, actually, I'd rather be playing No Fear. Fear Itself is pretty cool with a neat orbit around the bottom of the table. Stupid voices not withstanding, I think I like Infinity Gauntlet the best. The different ways you have the collect the six soul gems are cool. Especially the upside down table for the Reality Gem.

All in all, its typical Zen Pinball. Great music and graphics although the mechanical bumper sounds should be jacked up a bit with maybe a some Earthshaker action. I am by no means a great player but I can keep a ball in play for a WHILE on Zen. It can, actually, become boring. Oh well. It's something to tide me over till Pinball Arcade PS3 DLC drops next week. Nonetheless, it's pretty sad (for Zen anyway) that I'd rather be playing Monster Bash (which kicks my a$$ by the way) on my 3.5 inch Ipod Touch with headphones than Marvel Pinball on a 50" screen with surround sound.

Now, let's get those headphones back on. :)

What do you guys think about the new Zen tables?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Picked up Marvel Pinball : Avengers Chronicles today and I have to say, these are definitely Zen's best tables to date (and I've purchased all 32 tables). I've only played about 30 min. on each table, but I'm already having a blast with them (The Avengers table being my favorite). These tables should tide me over until DLC Table Packs #1, #2 and #3 hit XBLA within the next couple of weeks, then my focus will shift back to The Pinball Arcade.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Well I won one of the giveaway codes for the PS3 and even if it was free I would have gladly given Zen the $10. This pack, as Pin Wiz mentioned, is by far the best of the tables I've seen. I really shouldn't say that though as yes they are new and exciting etc. I still love X-men, Thor and other tables.

Fear Itself is a masterpiece IMO. The missions are challenging and uses the table's magnetic theme to great effect. The magnetic loop around the bottom (entire table in some cases.) Is reminiscent of a real table I recall but can't pinpoint it. It's a low scoring table and this table is quite challenging IMO. Very Deep as there are 2-3 multi-balls available. Chaos Multi-ball being to most interesting I think. You'll have to see it for yourself if you choose to purchase or in some cases completely dismiss the table.

Avengers is Interesting because of the ball characteristics for each hero. They correspond to each mission and you get more points for starting and completing missions with them. You can start them with other characters but it takes longer.

Infinitely Gauntlet is a Bizarre table. The way the gems alternate the table and balls in interesting ways. You can get to wizard mode fairly easily IMO. Just start the missions you don't have to beat the missions. The reward is to beat the missions for the points for obvious reasons. I haven't beaten the game with all Gems collected so the rewards might be different.

Hulk is about Ramp/loop/orbit spam IMO. Kind depicts that smashing aspect of the hulk character. Especially during the various mult-balls. There is a mission where you have to evacuate civilians. 1st time it's a single ball. Second time a 2 ball multi-ball 3rd time (you guessed it) a 3 ball multi-ball This is a high scoring table since already there are several players in the billion + I'm only around 600m right now.

All in all these tables are an absolute blast. There isn't one that was a bit blah like Ghost Rider IMO. X-Men at first was like that till I realized how deep the table really was. Looking forward to see what the next tables are like. Not necessarily Marvel tables as they have licensed Pop Cap. We should have a new table by the end of the summer according to Zen.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I've had 1200 ms points on my account for ages now waiting for TPA DLC, and I swore to myself I wouldn't spend them on impulse buys. Looks like I'll have to add some more and get these Zen / PBFX2.

I prefer TPA but I do like Zen. It's video pinball and they do things a physical product could never do.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Can't download trial. Not in extras list on Marketplace, error comes up when you attempt to download it in-game.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
I was on the fence buying the pack... but did it nevertheless because... eh... it's pinball and I need something to bridge the time until the first Pinball Arcade DLC finally arrives. But after playing the tables for about 1 to 2 hours I feel I could just as well have thrown my money out of the window.

Well, I won't go into the whole physics topics again and repeat what I said elsewhere already... just that there hardly goes by a moment in which the Zen ball doesn't irritate the hell out of me and how much it annoys me that nudging won't do a single thing (except for spitting out a DANGER!! warning). Actually the ball isn't the biggest problem I have with these Zen tables, it's their presentation which is seriously bugging me. Now even more then ever, actually. I always hope for improvements... but they're just not happening.

The playfields still look way too crowded and it's hard to make out anything on them, especially where your ball is. It just seems to get lost in the limited colour palette, same goes for ramps and targets.

Then there's the audio. No matter which table you're on to right now, they all sound the same. You always hear some generic fighting music that never changes and never gives you the sense of urgency... and some gruffy voices hissing at each other. Especially the latter is a nuisance because all you get are exchanges like "I'm going to defeat you!" - "No, you won't, muahaharrr!" over and over again. It's just a stream of waffling that never says anything. And it's such a waste because they could have used the voices to explain what to shoot for, how close you are to unlock a mission or whatnot. So no, you only find that very information in the DMD at best. And while DMD animation is certainly a nice thing and everything, it's hardly the spot I usually look at while playing pinball. Especially when the ball is going as fast as it does here!

Anyway, this was the very last pack/table I bought from Zen. This was the last straw.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I was on the fence buying the pack... but did it nevertheless because... eh... it's pinball and I need something to bridge the time until the first Pinball Arcade DLC finally arrives. But after playing the tables for about 1 to 2 hours I feel I could just as well have thrown my money out of the window.

Well, I won't go into the whole physics topics again and repeat what I said elsewhere already... just that there hardly goes by a moment in which the Zen ball doesn't irritate the hell out of me and how much it annoys me that nudging won't do a single thing (except for spitting out a DANGER!! warning). Actually the ball isn't the biggest problem I have with these Zen tables, it's their presentation which is seriously bugging me. Now even more then ever, actually. I always hope for improvements... but they're just not happening.

The playfields still look way too crowded and it's hard to make out anything on them, especially where your ball is. It just seems to get lost in the limited colour palette, same goes for ramps and targets.

Then there's the audio. No matter which table you're on to right now, they all sound the same. You always hear some generic fighting music that never changes and never gives you the sense of urgency... and some gruffy voices hissing at each other. Especially the latter is a nuisance because all you get are exchanges like "I'm going to defeat you!" - "No, you won't, muahaharrr!" over and over again. It's just a stream of waffling that never says anything. And it's such a waste because they could have used the voices to explain what to shoot for, how close you are to unlock a mission or whatnot. So no, you only find that very information in the DMD at best. And while DMD animation is certainly a nice thing and everything, it's hardly the spot I usually look at while playing pinball. Especially when the ball is going as fast as it does here!

Anyway, this was the very last pack/table I bought from Zen. This was the last straw.

Well sorry to hear that. Wish there was a demo for you. If your on the PSN you're out of luck till ZP2 comes out. I think the 360 has demos for them but I'm not sure.

Hmm personal Taste I'm sure. I just love the Zen tables and this pack is so much fun. As Much as I like TPA I just feel the ball is way too Floaty. Can't describe it. Yes the Physics in Zen is weird too. The balls are much heavier that TPA.

I have issues with the flippers in TPA as well. They feel limp and most shots up ramps seem to take forever to get around. I finished the wizard modes and that's pretty much it for now. I havent't played TPA for some time at least till the DLC pack launch.
Personal preference aside Again these tables are really impressive as far as the uniqueness. There is no way a real machine would be able achieve some of the stuff Zen has done.

I'll still buy the DLC packs For TPA. Getting to play some of the classics is still fun.

Hopefully the next table that comes out in the end of summer might change your mind. I hope there is a demo for them through ZP2 or PBFX2

Last edited:

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Jun 1, 2012
Picked these up yesterday - Found them to be quite frustrating to be honest (with the exception of Hulk World War which is a ramp lovers wet dream). The primary Avengers table is nice, but damn it seems tricky to actually activate stuff - Table also (to me) seems too closed in and cramped (at least for my liking). Overall, certainly good value - 800MSP for 4 tables, they look good and no doubt with some more practice you'd easily get your moneys worth.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm guessing ramps, ramps, and more ramps......which don't really excite me. Epic Quest got old pretty fast for me.

I'll probably still pick them up though. I do enjoy the split screen multiplayer.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Well sorry to hear that. Wish there was a demo for you. If your on the PSN you're out of luck till ZP2 comes out.
To be honest I don't expect that much from ZP2. They said the physics have been tweaked, but in the end they shouldn't be all that different from the current ones. And even then the boring audio and the untidy artwork would still remain the same.

Personal preference aside Again these tables are really impressive as far as the uniqueness. There is no way a real machine would be able achieve some of the stuff Zen has done.
That may be true, but in the end I just don't care about dozens of animated characters and moving ramps and so on. Just give me something that is fun to play. In my book pretty much all of those Zen tables are a case of "style over substance". Even the better one like Epic Quest and Sorcerer's Lair get boring pretty quickly.

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I picked up the pack and really am enjoying it. I like video pinball in general and usually pick up any table available whether it be TPA, ZEN, OR PINBALLISTIK. I really like Infinity Gauntlet and Fear Itself, at this point they are my faves ...

For me the approach to the 3 different pins offered by different companies is different and I enjoy them all in different ways. When I play ZEN or Pinballistik, it is a more light hearted affair and I really enjoy seeing the things the tables do that can not be done on real tables. On the other hand, when I play TPA, it is a serious affair with F BOMBS dropping and shouts of joy along the way with my headphones on and deep in the zone. I believe it is simply because the tables represent real tables and because I was never any good at real pin, TPA gives me the opportunity to become good at "real pin" in a sense and that motivates me.

I must say that one thing I am very disappointed in is the rule sheets for ZEN and PINBALLISTIK, although they are a little better for PINBALLISTIK, I had hoped for an upgraded rule sheet with the release of this pack for ZEN. The rule sheets are like 20 pages long and all text without any pics. Because I am not a pin wizard, half the times I do not even know what they are referring to on the table without a pic. So when I play ZEN, its all trial and error because I refuse to read the rule sheets. Perhaps updated rule sheets will be offered when the ZEN 2 upgrade is released. One thing is for sure, I will be very happy to carry around some tables on my Vita!

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
Fear Itself is a masterpiece IMO. The missions are challenging and uses the table's magnetic theme to great effect. The magnetic loop around the bottom (entire table in some cases.) Is reminiscent of a real table I recall but can't pinpoint it.

Hurricane, maybe? That loop's above the flippers and just gravity driven, but that's what it reminded me of. This is my favorite table of the four so far, although I know nothing about the theme.

TheTenthEnemy

Apr 25, 2012
Hurricane, maybe? That loop's above the flippers and just gravity driven, but that's what it reminded me of. This is my favorite table of the four so far, although I know nothing about the theme.

I think it's more like Nascar, that's what I instantly thought of when I played Fear Itself.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
On the other hand, when I play TPA, it is a serious affair with F BOMBS dropping and shouts of joy along the way with my headphones on and deep in the zone.

I thought of Medieval Madness when I read this, since there's a romset with f-bombs. Not really interested in that myself, though.

I'll probably pick up this set of tables next month (this month I was at a gaming convention and took home some NES/FC, SNES/SFC, Genesis, 2600, CV, and Intellivision games, as well as the Donkey Kong Game & Watch). I tried the demo (which is finally up) and definiltely liked what I tried quite a bit.

I think it's more like Nascar, that's what I instantly thought of when I played Fear Itself.

No it's like Grand Prix ;)

Last edited:

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Jun 1, 2012
Still finding them to be very frustrating myself - Generally just end up doing the "flipper mash" just to try and stop the ball(s) from draining despite trying to control them on the flipper to line up shots.

Personally, I don't think there's enough "open space" on the tables and it's all too easy to have the balls just ricochet into the drain(s).

Shame.

What sort of scores are people getting on these?

My current hi for each are:

Avengers - 78,342,208
Fear Itself - 24,989,500
Infinity Gauntlet - 30,697,432
World War Hulk - 87,544,000

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As usual, the tables look great, but it's just way too easy to keep the ball going since the flippers are too close together and the ball doesn't bounce enough to make ball control any kind of a challenge. If it weren't for the split screen multiplayer, I definitely wouldn't buy because playing solo gets tedious, as the simplified ball control doesn't excite me and it just makes the games last far too long.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts