This will sound weird... are the physics different b/w portrait and landscape?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I've only just noticed now after being pretty-much glued to landscape camera 4 (the closest to the table) and I don't know if it's just the perspective or whether there's something else, but I could *swear* that everything feels a little more livelier when playing in portrait mode, at least, on my 4S.

I understand it could be that in landscape, obviously you see less of the balls moving around because you're closer to being on their plane (as opposed to being top-down and seeing almost all ball movement from 90 degrees above) but I reckon there might be something else there. Anyone else care to investigate/confirm or am I just being odd?

bonch

May 24, 2012
I'm sure it's the change in perspective affecting your perception of the physics. Portrait mode lets you see more of the table vertically, so the ball looks like it's moving more quickly.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Figured as much! I knew there would be due to perspective, it just seemed far too dramatic to just be my perception. In my defense though, it was late, I was tired and determined to nail some table goals ;) Thanks for the input, gents!

Btw wasn't expecting an official response to such an inane question, so thanks for popping your head in, Mike!

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yep, that's just your visual perception. But I agree, it feels weird, and I sometimes enjoy playing around with camera settings and screen orientation just for fun ;)

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
Yep, that's just your visual perception. But I agree, it feels weird, and I sometimes enjoy playing around with camera settings and screen orientation just for fun ;)

Indeed. It's like having multiple versions of the same game(s).
Fwiw, I prefer portrait CAM 4 these days. Just scored 1.1B on MB, and 460K on Gorgar. I think I'll stick with this mode for a spell.
(iPad 1)

Supermans

Jun 19, 2012
The physics code is the same reguardless of the orientation. I'm pretty sure it's the illusion bonch said.

To me, camera angle 4 in landscape mode for the Arabian Nights table is the very best of all. I wish all of the other tables could be as close to that one when using camera 4, especially Ripleys and Monster Bash. We really don't need to see so much of the sides of the cabinet. I'm happy though you allowed me to be able to lock the multiball camera and that it can stay at the same camera angle now. That was very annoying before.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
#4 landscape was my jam before and definitely feels more realistic to me (as I almost always got closer to the tables IRL when taking a set shot) but I'm liking portrait #4 a little more though. Still close-ish to the table, but gives a good overall view which can help immensely with shot timing. Don't like the cramped hands on my iPhone, though :(

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts