Table of the Week Club...week 8: HIGH SPEED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
For week 8, the table of choice is High Speed. About time we got something from season 3! Commence with the groaning and moaning below, or the clapping and high fives. The randomizer cares not.

Also, for those keeping score, this finalizes what the four tables will be for the next TotM, happening on March 28th. As a reminder, those tables will be...

- Black Hole
- No Good Gofers (which the randomizer tried to pick again for this week. Stupid computer.)
- Creature from the Black Lagoon
- High Speed

Sign ups will start on Wednesday March 25th. Everything you need to know can be found here.

So pedal to the medal, go run some red lights or something.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well, just spent a solid 90 minutes with this table. I needed all the wizards, only have the 250K ramp to earn. It's so hard! Those 1-6 targets are deadly, and then to not accidentally shoot the ramp while building up the bonus, brutal. I've gotten to 200K twice only to either drain the ball or have a ricochet off the 5 or 6 (couldn't tell) up the ramp.

I do gotta say, I still think this is the best lit table FarSight has done. Every insert is perfect, without being blown out. When you hit the jackpot and the table starts strobing, just amazing. Why they can't do this with AFM is beyond me, because I do have to just cradle the ball until the strobing stops or risk losing it all together. The overall lighting on the table is nice, no nuclear hot spots to be seen. I also don't have any complaints about physics on this one. Does it play faster than the real machine? Yes. But otherwise, I'm quite pleased.

This was a table I used to love playing in VP way back when. I now remember why, as it is the epitome of a 'just one more game' machine for me. Really enjoying reacquainting myself with this one.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I started playing but about 10M in I remembered how boring the grind is and gave up. Good table with really limited ruleset and going for high scores is pretty mind numbing. Like SYT above said the lighting is excellent.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Did play this quite a bit when it was the Free Table of the Month and has vowed not to buy Season3 until Dx11 is out :p
On a comparable note I will prob buy S4 when Cyclone is out even though I kinda vowed to wait for Xenon.... yeah, better to keep that promise too to show that early SS makes a monetary difference "See how much more sales we got when Xenon was released; we must do more SS" or something to that effect... damn, I am only one person - forgot that.

Maybe they will release Cyclone and Xenon as a package! Yes, seems very plausible....

I will practice on the other tables. Haven't played much at all and don't really know the rules. Great then that we have TotW so I can check the threads for great tips!

Cheerio

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I started playing but about 10M in I remembered how boring the grind is and gave up. Good table with really limited ruleset and going for high scores is pretty mind numbing. Like SYT above said the lighting is excellent.
What he said.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
38M. Not much to say except keep going for multiball, and don't forget that lighting all 9 traffic lights after collecting the jackpot also lights EB.

There is also another bug (is it a ROM bug?) whereby if you roll the score, you get an EB at 1.4M after every roll. So not just at 1.4M, but 11.4M, 21.4M, etc.

karl

May 10, 2012
Farsight did a great job on this but it also goes into the way, way easier than the real thing category.

Great graphics, spectacular light show and splendid flow. It has to be played in small doses, though. A long game can really take the fun out of it. It is supposed to be short and brutal

This table bods well for a good recreation of Getaway also.

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
What captain Zarre said. :)
Not much said about keeping the left kickback relit by hitting the flashing 1-6 target and by completing the 20,000 light kickback inland rollovers...so said it. I didn't think I would like this game on the virtual play field but I was wrong, I like it...plays nicely and good lighting.
Cheers

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I wonder if dozens of season 1 & 2 tables would be considered to have a spectacular light show if Farsight had made them correctly :).

This was FS experimenting with a 'fake' version of DX11 and knocking it out of the park. They've gone a bit more subtle since, or so it seems to me. I wouldn't go so far as to say FS didn't make S1 & 2 'correctly', but they absolutely should revisit the tables and apply this lighting to them.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
58.8M for 14th on the leaderboards already in the pocket, so I'm probably going to skip this one. The grind is too boring and I'm still havin' fun on TAF!

Maggie

Jan 8, 2015
I've managed to move my high score up from 4.5m to just shy of 18m. TotW is good for me, the focused attention really pays off. I'm missing the 250,000 ramp wizard goal though. Any tips? I don't like wizard goals that don't flow naturally from just trying to get a high score.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I've managed to move my high score up from 4.5m to just shy of 18m. TotW is good for me, the focused attention really pays off. I'm missing the 250,000 ramp wizard goal though. Any tips? I don't like wizard goals that don't flow naturally from just trying to get a high score.

This is where I'm at. I think my high score is 14M or so.

Love this table!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

I finally got this goal the other night. All I cared about was hitting 1-6 targets. If the ball went anywhere else, I waited to catch it so I could should for one of those. I found the left side, 1-3 to be easier and safer to hit. What I mean by that is, when going for 4 or 5 on the right, frequently the ball would then ricochet part way up the ramp, thus collecting the bonus and starting me all over again. I also found the 6 target to be near impossible to hit from a caught ball on the left, though I did manage on occasion. If I wasn't happy with which target I needed to go for, I'd shoot up the middle left and into the bumpers to get a new target selected. Eventually I made it to 250K, and Bob's your uncle.

Apart from the aforementioned accidental ramp shots, starting multiball from lighting all the signals also would mess me up, because inevitably one would go up the ramp. So just drain a ball and go back on the hunt rather than risk losing your bonus! And yes, it's an incredibly boring way to play the table, but as you said, you aren't going to get this goal while in the flow. At least it's not as bad as TAF's 10x ramp thingy. I still haven't gotten it, and it's driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts