No buttons = No precision

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Finally tried this on Android, and what a disappointment! Using the touchscreen to activate flippers makes it pretty much impossible to reach high scores (though it works great for the plunger). Too many times I had a drain because I touched the screen, but the flipper didn't activate, or activated too soon, or too late. There's not much that can be done, as the Android lacks buttons, but it still sucks. I don't know how anyone can stand to play like that. Bring on the 360 DLC already!

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Finally tried this on Android, and what a disappointment! Using the touchscreen to activate flippers makes it pretty much impossible to reach high scores (though it works great for the plunger). Too many times I had a drain because I touched the screen, but the flipper didn't activate, or activated too soon, or too late. There's not much that can be done, as the Android lacks buttons, but it still sucks. I don't know how anyone can stand to play like that. Bring on the 360 DLC already!

I have no problem with precision flipping on my HTC EVO 3D and my scores are pretty good as well. The only reason my scores are not as good on my phone as they are on my Xbox 360 is because of the lack of proper nudging on my touch screen. I don't like having to move my thumbs away from the flippers to nudge using the top half of the screen, so I just don't nudge at all when playing on my phone.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've been playing various pinball apps on the iPad for years now and really enjoy playing on it. Sure, buttons are better, but once you get used to the touchscreen, it is pretty easy to be precise. Nudging is the trickiest part, but it's not bad with a little practice.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
I have a few button problems on my phone probably due to the small screen(sony xperia u) But playing on my Tablet is fine and even prefer it over xbox.

N

Nik Barbour

I don't like touchscreen control for games.
Would probably be OK on a tablet, but phone screen is too small and makes holding phone awkward.
I always pair either wiimote or ps3 controller via bluetooth to phone to play TPA.

Vip8888

Mar 25, 2012
I have no problem with precision flipping on my HTC EVO 3D and my scores are pretty good as well. The only reason my scores are not as good on my phone as they are on my Xbox 360 is because of the lack of proper nudging on my touch screen. I don't like having to move my thumbs away from the flippers to nudge using the top half of the screen, so I just don't nudge at all when playing on my phone.

In case someone else hasn't noticed, there is now accelerometer support for nudging on Android (only noticed recently myself that it had been added). Works quite well when playing in portrait mode and has improved my scores. :)

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
Let's get real here. The console version is 1080p and 60 fps. Touchscreen controls obscure part of the playfield and registering the presses is a crapshoot. The accelerometer for nudging is imprecise at best. There's a reason people are waiting with baited breath for the DLC on the consoles despite them already being available on phones. I'm surprised the game is even the same price.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Let's get real here. The console version is 1080p and 60 fps. Touchscreen controls obscure part of the playfield and registering the presses is a crapshoot. The accelerometer for nudging is imprecise at best. There's a reason people are waiting with baited breath for the DLC on the consoles despite them already being available on phones. I'm surprised the game is even the same price.

Well, for one thing, you can't play the console versions on the bus, the backyard, or in the bathroom (ok, maybe depending on how rich you are ;)). Obviously the console versions are better (I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise), but that doesn't mean the touchscreen versions still aren't fun, and high scores are very achivable on these version too.

I've never once had a problem with the flipper presses being a "crapshoot" on my iPad, so that's not getting "real" to me :). Also, I've gotten fairly good with the touchscreen nudging too.....overall, I really enjoy the touchscreen version, and a ton of other people do too.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Well, for one thing, you can't play the console versions on the bus, in a tent, or in the bathroom (ok, maybe depending on how rich you are ;)). Obviously the console versions are better (I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise), but that doesn't mean the touchscreen versions still aren't fun, and high scores are very achivable on these version too.

I've never once had a problem with the flipper presses being a "crapshoot" on my iPad, so that's not getting "real" to me :). Also, I've gotten fairly good with the touchscreen nudging too.....overall, I really enjoy the iPad version.

I can't take my Xbox to work, so TPA on my phone comes in handy and well worth the price... :)

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
neilpinbot "is suggesting otherwise."

I've been playing the free table on my Galaxy SII while waiting for the train, but it's just making me itch for the DLC on the consoles more. Maybe once they've finally been released I won't be as annoyed. I still don't think I'll be playing the mobile version much. Just not my style. I've always been a console guy.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
neilpinbot "is suggesting otherwise."

I've been playing the free table on my Galaxy SII while waiting for the train, but it's just making me itch for the DLC on the consoles more. Maybe once they've finally been released I won't be as annoyed. I still don't think I'll be playing the mobile version much. Just not my style. I've always been a console guy.

Yeah, he did say he prefers it. A lot of people really like tablet gaming days....some like it even more than consoles, so that's up to individual taste. I see the merits in both. There is definitely something nice about kicking back in bed and having the screen right there in your hands. Based upon TPA's success in the App Store, a lot of people are digging the touchscreen version.

inspector42

May 27, 2012
Any nudging tips Jeff? I am just not getting it right on my iPad. It could just be my inexperience, though. Which setting do you use? How do you time the nudge?

The touchscreen works just fine for me otherwise.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Any nudging tips Jeff? I am just not getting it right on my iPad. It could just be my inexperience, though. Which setting do you use? How do you time the nudge?

The touchscreen works just fine for me otherwise.

I use touchscreen nudging, and I play in landscape so it's easy to tell where the middle of the screen is vertically since you have the home button in the middle on the right and the front camera on the left (iPad 2). Then I put the tips of my thumbs on the outer edges of the screen just under the middle so I barely have to move them when I need to nudge.

As far as timing goes, I'm still perfecting that part of it.

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
The console is usually for more serious players. Mobile devices have done a great job of putting games into the hands of the less initiated. I'm just wondering if the price of this game will keep some casual players away because they're used to paying a dollar an app. There will be more higher priced mobile games in the future. At any rate, it is good that the game is reaching more people through multiple devices.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The console is usually for more serious players. Mobile devices have done a great job of putting games into the hands of the less initiated. I'm just wondering if the price of this game will keep some casual players away because they're used to paying a dollar an app. There will be more higher priced mobile games in the future. At any rate, it is good that the game is reaching more people through multiple devices.

And a lot of PC gamers would say consoles are usually for less serious players. :) You are right that there are lot of casual players on mobile, but we're also seeing more and more "serious" gamers (such as myself) getting tablets because they love gaming so much that they want something to play when they can't be in front of their PC or console.

Yeah, unfortunately dirt cheap mobile app prices have spoiled the masses, and many scoff at anything over $0.99.....but you are right that there are a lot of new and upcoming higher-priced apps. Look at the new Magic: The Gathering app for iOS: it costs $10 to unlock, but it's selling like hot cakes (currently at #4 in the Top Grossing Apps list).

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Must be a problem on certain Android devices, on my iPad 3 the flippers react crisply and quickly. Maybe an issue with programs running in the background?

I've read somewhere that certain software layers can create some lag on Android, whereas the touch input is more direct integrated in iOS. Sorry if that sounds a bit fanboyish, but that just might be an explaination, and very likely device-dependent. I wonder how it runs on the iPad 1, since that thing has so little RAM.

On the iPad I can, for instance, nail the ramps in MM perfectly, the game runs at a very smooth framerate (better than the Mac version), multiball is a joy... As much as I love traditonal controls, TPA feels perfect on the iPad to me, especially with the hi res screen and the portrait orientation. I would love to try it on the Kindle Fire, seems like great size as well, as the iPad can get a bit heavy from time to time.

And the finger-screen-obscuring isn't a problem at all on the iPad either. For nudging, I've gotten in the habit of grabbing the iPad in the middle and tap the flippers just under the imaginary line where the nudge zone ends, so I can just quickly move the thumbs up for nudging without losing too much time. I'm generally bad at nudging, but I'm learning ;)

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Must be a problem on certain Android devices, on my iPad 3 the flippers react crisply and quickly. Maybe an issue with programs running in the background?

I've read somewhere that certain software layers can create some lag on Android, whereas the touch input is more direct integrated in iOS. Sorry if that sounds a bit fanboyish, but that just might be an explaination, and very likely device-dependent. On the iPad I can, for instance, nail the ramps in MM perfectly, the game runs at a very smooth framerate (better than the Mac version), multiball is a joy... As much as I love traditonal controls, TPA feels perfect on the iPad to me, especially with the hi res screen and the portrait orientation.

Does sound a bit fanboyish to me.
Never had a problem on my Android!

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
As I said, there are many software/hardware combinations with Android out there, combined with different firmware, carrier skins etc, so these are variables that can potentially cause lag on certain devices. I just wanted to point out that in my experience touch controls work very well, and for many Android users as well, so it is likely a problem on the device Richard tried, not on iOS and Android in general (speaking of unpredictable flipper lag specifically).

(The virtual joystick/ dpad, however, is one of the worst inventions in gaming in the last decade. I tried GTA III with touch controls, it's maddening.)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
All I can say is that my best score on the Theatre is 8.5B on the 360, and 1.6B on the iPad 3. There is a distinct lack of control on touchscreen devices. Don't get me wrong, I love that I can play while traveling, but I'll never be playing "seriously" on my iPad.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yeah, unfortunately dirt cheap mobile app prices have spoiled the masses, and many scoff at anything over $0.99.....but you are right that there are a lot of new and upcoming higher-priced apps. Look at the new Magic: The Gathering app for iOS: it costs $10 to unlock, but it's selling like hot cakes (currently at #4 in the Top Grossing Apps list).

That's good to hear, I'm always ready to spend more money on these apps if it supports more quality development. This race to the bottom seems very destructive to me, where the only hope of making profit is either via getting Angry Birds-level sales or being really obnoxious with the IAP (that appears to be optional but is really required because the games flow is built around these items). TPA really is one of the best bang-for-my-buck purchases I've ever made.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts