• Cabinet Mode for TPA via Arcooda Software



    FarSight has been working on custom software with Arcooda, makers of video pinball cabinets. This is the cabinet mode many have been clamoring for, but it's no mere camera angle port. Unfortunately the announcement of the loss of the WMS license has put a huge kink in Arcooda's plans, mainly that the entirety of the TPA catalog wasn't finished in time as well as the fact there's the very shortened window this will be available until.

    Visit https://www.arcoodapinballarcade.com/ for complete details and purchasing.

    76 tables have been given the cabinet mode treatment, that includes backglass and DMD functionality. New lighting and graphical tweaks also are featured, as well as taking advantage of the ability to have solenoids and shakers function in a cabinet.

    The good news is that Arcooda is no longer making this exclusive to their cabinet. You can buy the standalone, offline version of the software for play on any cabinet. If you buy the Arcooda Cabinet version, you also get touch screen functionality, digital tilt, and perhaps the coolest feature of all, 3D without glasses when used with a Kinect camera for head tracking.

    The bad news is this is only available until June 30th, and it doesn't come cheap. If you already own the Steam version of the game, you'll only be paying for the Arcooda key. I believe this will be $149. You can also purchase the offline Pro Mode version that includes the entirety of TPA plus the Arcooda key for $499, for those that haven't purchased any of the game yet. Advantage here is it doesn't require a FarSight login. I'm not 100% on these prices as I can't verify what I heard, check with Arcooda first.

    For more info and a look at what the games in action look like, watch these videos...

    THE ARCOODA CABINET VERSION

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cWUnOroRGUA

    THE ARCOODA STANDALONE VERSION FOR ANY CABINET

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-SZ5XZG2po
    Comments 375 Comments
    1. BigWeather's Avatar
      BigWeather -
      Sorry, one more question -- Will the Arcooda cabinet itself include the Kinect 3D hardware? I'm torn between going the $149 route and hopefully building a cabinet or taking the deep plunge and ponying up for an Arcooda cabinet (though pricing may kill that, haha) -- if their table includes Kinect 3D hardware out of the box that is a major selling point. And, yes, thanks Shut for all your work getting information about this!
    1. curtis's Avatar
      curtis -
      Animated backglass!! Woohoo!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhxOMi1OiU
    1. Nomorestalker's Avatar
      Nomorestalker -
      Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
      Animated backglass!! Woohoo!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhxOMi1OiU

      Okay....that's cool.
    1. BostonBuckeye's Avatar
      BostonBuckeye -
      Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
      Animated backglass!! Woohoo!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhxOMi1OiU
      Sweet!! I am definitely purchasing the $149 Arcooda key to unlock cabinet mode. I have no cabinet yet, but just being able to play these games properly in portrait mode and being able to use a second monitor for the animated backglass is epic for me. At least, I assume I will be able to do this and still use my game controller, just as if I was playing TPA as normal in Steam. Shutyertrap, can you confirm this? If I wasn't married I would go all in and buy the Arcooda cabinet with the premium software. I am with Shutyertrap in that this version looks like a game changer. Well worth the money if you have it and are a pinball fanatic.
    1. Nomorestalker's Avatar
      Nomorestalker -
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonBuckeye View Post
      Sweet!! I am definitely purchasing the $149 Arcooda key to unlock cabinet mode. I have no cabinet yet, but just being able to play these games properly in portrait mode and being able to use a second monitor for the animated backglass is epic for me. At least, I assume I will be able to do this and still use my game controller, just as if I was playing TPA as normal in Steam. Shutyertrap, can you confirm this? If I wasn't married I would go all in and buy the Arcooda cabinet with the premium software. I am with Shutyertrap in that this version looks like a game changer. Well worth the money if you have it and are a pinball fanatic.
      You should still be able to use a controller with it. In my build I use a program called xpadder to mimic a keyboard/joystick to the buttons on my cabinet. Worst case scenario you'll just need a key mapper, or remap the controls in TPA
    1. BostonBuckeye's Avatar
      BostonBuckeye -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomorestalker View Post
      You should still be able to use a controller with it. In my build I use a program called xpadder to mimic a keyboard/joystick to the buttons on my cabinet. Worst case scenario you'll just need a key mapper, or remap the controls in TPA
      Thanks for responding to my question Nomorestalker.
    1. EldarOfSuburbia's Avatar
      EldarOfSuburbia -
      Hmm. I have 3 monitors (my main monitor, one is still NIB - won it in a raffle at work and had no use for it, the other is my old one I haven't powered on in years but I assume still might work). I don't have the desk real estate for 3 monitors. Or the desire to run a cab. Or really $149 to spare.
    1. BostonBuckeye's Avatar
      BostonBuckeye -
      Quote Originally Posted by EldarOfSuburbia View Post
      Hmm. I have 3 monitors (my main monitor, one is still NIB - won it in a raffle at work and had no use for it, the other is my old one I haven't powered on in years but I assume still might work). I don't have the desk real estate for 3 monitors. Or the desire to run a cab. Or really $149 to spare.
      Eldar, If you don't have space for 3 monitors do you have space for 2? I believe you will be able to chose between a version compatible with 2 or 3 monitors. I can't help you with the $149.
    1. EldarOfSuburbia's Avatar
      EldarOfSuburbia -
      I don't really have space for 2 either... otherwise I would be running with 2 monitors already. I need a bigger desk, which I theoretically do have room for but that would mean a trip to IKEA yadda yadda yadda.
    1. wesman's Avatar
      wesman -
      Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
      Okay, I got some more answers to the questions Nomorestalker posted.

      1. Will Arcooda/Farsight be updating new tables in the future? Will we be able to buy in if new tables are supported beyond the initial 76? Or will they be covered by the licence? (Provided we own the table on steam)

      We cannot promise anything after the 76 titles. Whilst we are in constant negotiation, we do not want to promise things that are not in our control.

      2.Is this a separate exe file? How will this work with future updates to the main platform? Will the options say just not be available on a Ghostbusters but we'd still be able to play the table normally?

      It is the same answer as #1 - we do not have Stern support at the moment and any new titles will be a case by case option (depending on license)

      3. while obviously not official is this making a decision between the fantastic noex free camera mod I've depended on for years to give me what I want?

      We have been asked different questions similar to this - unfortunately, we cannot recommend whether different modifications will work.

      4. If a couple years I decide to ditch the 7+ years I've put into building and tinkering with my cab and order an arcooda cabinet does my current licence with the bally Williams tables carry into the new cabinet or am I stuck with the basic version of cab support software/ whatever is available at the time of purchase?

      The Steam version games will work anytime in either generic cabinet or our Arcooda Pinball. HOWEVER, the steam version will not support the various IO boards/etc (coil, tilt, etc.) or Kinect. If you want the full version, you must order the Arcooda Software version before 30th June.

      ----------------------

      Just so you guys know, if any were considering buying an Arcooda cabinet, other pinball titles do work on it. They can't officially say which, but I've seen video that Zen does, the same as it works in even the homebrew cabs.
      For answer number 4, so I'm assuming the full version they're referring to, is the $500 package?
    1. shutyertrap's Avatar
      shutyertrap -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigWeather View Post
      I was wondering if the graphic enhancements (lighting, etc.) are only seen when running in cabinet mode (so, multi-monitor) or are they active even when playing TPA normally?
      It's only if you are playing in portrait mode using the Arcooda version of things. If you play regular TPA (landscape) it won't be any different from what has been out all along.
    1. shutyertrap's Avatar
      shutyertrap -
      Quote Originally Posted by wesman View Post
      For answer number 4, so I'm assuming the full version they're referring to, is the $500 package?
      Yep.
    1. shutyertrap's Avatar
      shutyertrap -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigWeather View Post
      And, yes, thanks Shut for all your work getting information about this!
      I jokingly asked my Arcooda contact if I was on the payroll yet as I figure I've made some sales for them with all this.

      *crickets*

      Still, I wanted to make sure you cabinet owners had every last bit of info since you've waited so damn long for anything like a proper cabinet mode. I truly hope Arcooda is tries to make a deal with Zen so that they might bring all the cool features they were designing their cabinet around to all of those titles too. Not that I could afford a cabinet, but I did hope to one day have a rotated monitor setup. Bummed I'm gonna miss out on all this.
    1. Nomorestalker's Avatar
      Nomorestalker -
      Shutyertrap there's always the free camera mod if you did make the jump.

      Any word on when the link to buy lets you buy instead of jumping to the contact us page?
    1. shutyertrap's Avatar
      shutyertrap -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomorestalker View Post
      Shutyertrap there's always the free camera mod if you did make the jump.

      Any word on when the link to buy lets you buy instead of jumping to the contact us page?
      Didnít they say the 18th? I really donít know other than they were getting the purchasing locked down before letting people do it. Seems to be Arcoodaís MO, donít overpromise, deliver on what you say you can. Shouldnít be long.
    1. Narc0lep5y's Avatar
      Narc0lep5y -
      Worth noting that the only differences between the $149 steam unlock with your own already purchased tables (#1) version and the #2 $500 version is an independent-from-steam installer with offline play.

      The 3D Kinect Support, Coil, LED Lighting, and Shaker Functions and touch screen support are only with option #3, and they are "Exclusive features for just for our Arcooda Pinball Cabinet owners" So no home built cabs with shaker or kinect support without more mods.
    1. Narc0lep5y's Avatar
      Narc0lep5y -
      Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
      Didn’t they say the 18th? I really don’t know other than they were getting the purchasing locked down before letting people do it. Seems to be Arcooda’s MO, don’t overpromise, deliver on what you say you can. Shouldn’t be long.
      Site still says - "Online order facilities from Wednesday 16th May using this website " but links direct you to the "contact us" page.

      Twitter feed says Friday now. https://twitter.com/arcooda/status/996613762017705985
    1. shutyertrap's Avatar
      shutyertrap -
      Quote Originally Posted by Narc0lep5y View Post
      Worth noting that the only differences between the $149 steam unlock with your own already purchased tables (#1) version and the #2 $500 version is an independent-from-steam installer with offline play.

      The 3D Kinect Support, Coil, LED Lighting, and Shaker Functions and touch screen support are only with option #3, and they are "Exclusive features for just for our Arcooda Pinball Cabinet owners" So no home built cabs with shaker or kinect support without more mods.
      Nicely stated! Quite succinct and clearly stated. I should someday learn how to write with brevity.
    1. L33's Avatar
      L33 -
      For any comps and challenges etc, am I right in saying you’d have to buy and play through steam only?
    1. L33's Avatar
      L33 -
      And is there any plans to allow cab owners who play through steam the option of adding things like shaker interaction etc as there is with the Arcooda machine?