Honey

Jay

May 19, 2012
When I was at Pintastic New England a few years ago, there was a vendor selling scrapped playfields that he had refurbished into wall art, mounting LED lights behind them. I got Honey (Williams, 1972). Quite a few playfield lenses were missing, and rather than replace them he simply backed the table with white plastic and stuck colored LEDs behind them. I never liked the way it looked, so I designed and 3D printed some replacement lens caps using clear PLA plastic. This was the result.

honey_06-29.jpg

Jay

May 19, 2012
If you can find a discarded playfield (yeah, I know -- easy, right?), all he did was get a set of multicolored LED Christmas lights and staple them to the back of the playfield so that each light was at a rollover or lens. For places where there would be a kick-out and for the return hole, he stuck a thin sheet of white plastic behind it. Where the plunger normally would be, he mounted the lighting controller so you can cycle the lights through various patterns or have them remain still. He backed the whole thing with black felt and added a heavy-gauge wire for hanging it. It wouldn't be too hard to build your own design from scratch. All you'd need is a 1/2" thick sheet of plywood, a drill, some paint and some inspiration. And if you have a 3D printer, you can create the lenses, pop bumpers and translucent panels. Or there are places like Marco Specialties that sell pinball parts.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online