Is Scared Stiff the Only Table with a Family Friendly Censor?

PinBotMan

Apr 26, 2015
I'm planning to buy all the tables non-pro with the exception being SS (to get the superior explicit version) and I'm wondering if any other tables have this setting? Thanks!

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Medieval madness got family mode settings on too. Although there is plenty of innuendo in the family version too :)

Cheers

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
The family mode settings are in A.2 22 in the operator menu if you have the pro version. Looks like family mode defaults to No. I haven't tried turning it on to see the difference.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
MM:
Family Mode is off on default.
TPA doesn't use the profanity ROM. I once read that the profanity ROM was never official, but I don't know this for sure.
I think when you turn on Family Mode, the killing of the dragon is "censored" on the DMD. Never tested this.

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Ok, I just checked FM YES & NO on MM.
I couldn't find any difference. Seems like FM has no effect on this ROM.

Last edited:

PinBotMan

Apr 26, 2015
Thanks, Biff! I guess I won't be buying pro for any tables except SS. Unless there are others with a Family Friendly mode? I still don't understand why this feature is exclusive to the pro versions...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks, Biff! I guess I won't be buying pro for any tables except SS. Unless there are others with a Family Friendly mode? I still don't understand why this feature is exclusive to the pro versions...

ESRB fear on FarSight's part. I had a discussion with Norman about it, saying there was nothing in SS that was any worse than what was in MM. Were it to be released today, I doubt it'd be an issue. That was also soon after Pro Mode was introduced, so maybe an incentive to buy? Who knows, but I think we can all agree it's ridiculous.

PinBotMan

Apr 26, 2015
I believe AFM as well.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I wonder if it's worth the price of upgrading to pro. Any really good dialogue excluded from the standard version?? Giving Elvira multiple "jackpots" is well worth going pro for SS! :p

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
I don't see any reason for SS to have Family Mode switched on on the Xbox as TPA is rated E10 (Everyone 10+) on Xbox Live Arcade.

• Alcohol Reference
  • Fantasy Violence
  • Suggestive Themes
  • Mild Blood
  • Mild Language

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
well, you as me also, are from Europe and nobody cares about such a trivial things like boobs or some sex related innuendo or effing here. In the US on the other hand.....
but at the same time...
11205996_10153289475976489_7098862611490062192_n.png

nromo

Feb 21, 2014
Well, we have some really stupid people in America. Some of the religious right still believe Jesus rode around on a dinosaur! LOL

SuperCool

Mar 25, 2016
Honestly, and this probably sounds lame, but I wish there was a way to hide the more suggestive tables like SS. I'd rather keep my arcade cabinet as family/kid friendly as possible.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Honestly, and this probably sounds lame, but I wish there was a way to hide the more suggestive tables like SS. I'd rather keep my arcade cabinet as family/kid friendly as possible.

Eh, different people have different thresholds is all. The same people that find Xenon too sexy may have no problem with Gorgar, which is too demonic for some. I don't like exposing my kid to movies with foul language, but I'm less concerned with violence. So we've all got our thing, lame or not.

I do try and remember this as a parent; there are things I saw or heard as a kid that when I later saw as an adult I was shocked, as clearly some of the stuff went right over my head. There was also stuff I remember my parents being freaked out over and not letting me see or hear, but that was nothing compared to what the conversations at school were like. As much as people may try to keep their kids in a bubble, it's an impossible task. Eventually they will be exposed to it, just as we all were, and then it's a matter of how they deal with it. That's where we as parents are responsible. That doesn't mean turning your back on the values you hold dear and not imposing any restrictions. It means talking to your kids, telling them you'd prefer them to avoid playing certain titles, and not making a huge deal out of something they probably couldn't care one way or the other about. My ten year old has played Scared Stiff. You know what his takeaway from the game was? The crate, and what kind of monsters were in there. Elvira, he hasn't even given a second thought to.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
the thing with SS is that one have to be old enough to understand all that is there. I doubt that a 10 year old knows that "get it in there" does not mean just to shoot the crate.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah. Good points. I think I wouldn't have cared / understood the quotes as a kid. I think I would have noticed the cleavage I guess. No harm done.

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
The weird thing is, Monster Bash also has its Family Mode turned on by default...

...but unlike Scared Stiff, there's no way to turn it off, because Farsight won't let us use the Pro Menu with that game, even if we shelled out the money for it.

Seriously, take a listen to this play of the real table. How many quotes can you spot that aren't in the Pinball Arcade version?

This is one of many reasons it continues to baffle me why, as great a job as Farsight has done otherwise, they continue to not give us access to the Pro Menus of some of these season 1 tables. You can't access them on No Good Gofers, Taxi, or Bride of Pinbot, either, among others.

I searched this whole website, and either I'm missing something glaringly obvious, or Farsight never gave us a straight answer on this matter.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.