Fun way of selecting table to play and improving your scores

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
In a way to find tables in which I could improve my HOF-points on I thought it should probably be the ones in which I had the worst leaderboard scores. I thought that if I had done exceptionally bad on one table, there would likely be room for improvement. This led to a new type of goal for me, to improve my current worst leaderboard score. It turned out to be a fun way of selecting a table to play and I am more likely to actually break a high score this way!

While writing this, my worst score is for Attack from Mars with a #202 score. My goal is to get all under #200 but after that I think I have to give up. Even beating my last one above #200, the current 155 B on AFM will be hard!

Is there anyone else who play with this type of goal?

What is your worst leaderboard score?

zastian

Sep 10, 2013
This is a really fun idea! My best score is #18 on Jack*Bot and I still have a few tables with no score at all...so I guess I'll start with those ones and go from there!

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Yup, I totally do that. Well for me a bad leaderboard score is below #20, but you get the idea.

Occasionally the system does break down. I think my current lowest leaderboard position (ignoring TOTAN of course) is Bride somewhere in the #50s, but I'm not exactly motivated to grind ten hours on that one to catch up.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013

Always.

Well it makes sense to play more on a table on which you have a very bad score (unless you hate it).

Currently my two worst leaderboard ranks are >1000 (ah, ah! :nelson: ) on White Water and Who Dunnit. Otherwise, my main goal is to be <500 on all the tables I own.

I don't know why, but I don't manage to put a good score on these tables (except the fact that they're very laggy on PS3).

invitro

May 4, 2012

Yes, absolutely. Back when the game was new, I tried to get all my ranks higher than #1000, then #500, and so on. Most of my ranks now are above #200, except... [ranks as of May 6]

#209 HRC - I have barely played this one. I don't like Stern/Sega tables, though this one is more tolerable than some. I kind of liked it the last time I played it though.
#217 SS - I haven't played this in ages, because I don't want to deal with game-killing bugs, which I've experienced a few times. Plus even #200 on SS would probably take a few hours.
#277 HH - I haven't figured this one out. I actually did finally move this one up a little bit a couple of weeks ago. I do like it, except the music makes me a little insane after a long time of hearing it.
#312 HD3E - I greatly dislike most things about this table and can't get into playing it, but I've tried a couple times the last month to move up. The table puts me in a bad mood.
#345 CC - I just cannot score on this one. I have what seems like a decent game and it's 200M, not close.
#411 GoinNuts - Have not figured this one out. I don't hate it like most people though.
#551 CentPark - I have no problems with this table, but I can't get the scoring necessary to move up.
unranked TotAN - You know about this one.

But still lately I play season 4 tables, or just some random WMS table I like. I try to play one of these bottom-feeders maybe 20% of the time. I moved CV into the top 200 this weekend.

If you have only one table under #200, that is very good I think... funny that it's AFM, kind of the complete opposite of my bad tables. :)

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
Yup, I totally do that. Well for me a bad leaderboard score is below #20, but you get the idea.

Occasionally the system does break down. I think my current lowest leaderboard position (ignoring TOTAN of course) is Bride somewhere in the #50s, but I'm not exactly motivated to grind ten hours on that one to catch up.

Below #20 :) Well, we all have our different skill sets!

I made a decent score on Attack from Mars a few hours after this post so now all my scores, except TOTAN, are below #200. I tend to end up in the 20's for the ones I am particularly good at and in the 50's for the ones where I have one particularly great play. The ones where I really can't improve on, like Cactus Canyon/Central park ends up near #200. I can never really seem to outperform on CC!

I don't really aim specifically to get below #10 scores, mainly because I am not skilled enough and playing on iOS has its flaws. With Cactus Canyon as my worst leaderboard score I will probably go on a different play strategy from now on. My goal is to steal the #3 place on the HOF-list but I don't really know where I should find those 950 points I am behind! Perhaps it's time to give TPA a little rest instead :)

Btw, I think CreatureFTBL should be considered "broken" in terms of leaderboards as well due to the disappearing 10B's. Without knowing of this bug I got 19.995B which gave me a 9.995 B score, luckily this put me on #192 but I wouldn't really have bothered doing it again if it wouldn't. TPA has always been about scoring high while avoiding the bugs...I assume PhantomOTO is broken as well, although I have never experienced that high-score bug myself.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I started doing this, with an aim to get a Top 100 score on every table. I'm still short on a number of them. I really don't know how I'm going to crack the Top 100 on TOTAN given the nature of its leaderboard.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I assume PhantomOTO is broken as well, although I have never experienced that high-score bug myself.
The 1,399,999,999 score on PotO is filtered out by Farsight on the web leaderboard page. That username has a score of 999,999,999 on five other tables and some or all of those are filtered out as well, and I've had him blocked from my rankings for awhile. So it's the user, not PotO. :)

Last edited:

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I assume PhantomOTO is broken as well, although I have never experienced that high-score bug myself.

If you beat the local grand champ on POTO (on iOS) the app will crash when the score is posted to the leaderboard, and the score isn't saved. Make sure you do a remote backup first if you try it anyway.

invitro

May 4, 2012
If you beat the local grand champ on POTO (on iOS) the app will crash when the score is posted to the leaderboard, and the score isn't saved. Make sure you do a remote backup first if you try it anyway.
Oops, thanks for the correction.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I started doing this, with an aim to get a Top 100 score on every table. I'm still short on a number of them. I really don't know how I'm going to crack the Top 100 on TOTAN given the nature of its leaderboard.

Yeah, I don't count TOTAN in this goal. It's not "hacked broken" or iOS-bug-broken but completely messed up as far as I understand. My score on it is something like #1500 and I don't bother about it. I may play it to get 1.000 HOF-points though, or to get back my 550M top score I had before my TPA crashed some 2-3 years ago, erasing all high scores and goals.

It would be a cool goal to have, below #100, but it will just take too much time and effort for me! I may go for having one table on top #10 but given the competition it needs to be one of the "to boring for most to play" in order to have a chance. Like Goin Nuts or El Dorado. I don't POTO-hate any of them though but they sure are boring :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.