PS3 - Bug Addams Family - Thing Flips is not working - no flip occurs!

mhw1998

Nov 6, 2012
I was thrilled when TAF FINALLY was released on PS3, but I was thoroughly disappointed when I triggered Thing Flips - I got the appropriate animation and sounds but when the ball dropped past the flipper, NOTHING HAPPENED! It fell straight through. I have since watched the same thing happen hundreds of times (I really like to play TAF :) ).

I am amazed I haven't seen any other postings of this issue yet - am I the only one suffering from Thing Flips ED?

mhw1998

Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a very strange and specific bug for me - as I said, the dotmation displays the pulley and rope animation and Gomez says "Let's go, Thing!', but the flipper never flips. If I flip after Gomez talks and it happens to make it into the swamp, Gomez says 'Great work" or whatever he says when Thing does the flipping and makes the shot. I may just re-download the table and reinstall it to see if I got a strange build. I suppose it could be a corrupted file, but EVERYTHING else in the game works fine. Other than Thing Flips, this is an outstanding model of the real table.

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
"Thing Flips" only works if you have "Upper Flipper Control" turned on. It's in the settings menu.

The upper flipper control setting means you can control the upper and lower flippers (semi)separately. A light press of R1 will control just the lower flipper and a harder press will control the upper and lower flipper simultaneously. I don't usually use it as I find it a bit awkward, I think controlling the upper flippers separately would work better with L2/R2.

In any case, I still think this is a bug as "Thing Flips" should work either way.

mhw1998

Nov 6, 2012
Thank you, Maezun! I have never used that option for any of the 50+ tables I have for Pinball Arcade. And, you're right, Thing Flips should not be controlled by an option that changes how manual flipper activations occur since it is supposed to be an automatic feature of the game.

Anyway, Thing is now flipping on his own (and making the shot about 25% of the time so far).:cool:

Thanks again - maybe Farsight can add this information to the TAF instructions concerning Thing Flips. Maybe. Probably not. Never mind :(

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
A light press of R1 will control just the lower flipper and a harder press will control the upper and lower flipper simultaneously. I don't usually use it as I find it a bit awkward, I think controlling the upper flippers separately would work better with L2/R2.

That last suggestion wouldn't be a correct recreation of a pinball machine. They don't have separate buttons for upper flippers (with a few rare exceptions.) You can't flip an upper flipper without also flipping a lower one. What TPA does with L1/R1 is exactly what real machines do, engage the lower flipper on a partial press and the upper flipper on a full press of the same button.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Only partly true. Too much power is needed to enable the upper flipper. That's why it was such a relief when we got this option!

Regarding the 25%, doesn't the Thing learn over time to play better? At least until you exit to the main menu.

Phoenixofmt

Oct 14, 2014
Only partly true. Too much power is needed to enable the upper flipper. That's why it was such a relief when we got this option!

Regarding the 25%, doesn't the Thing learn over time to play better? At least until you exit to the main menu.

I agree. Maybe I'm just unskilled, but I've never had a desire to exercise that much control over the upper flippers.

After I changed the controls, Thing flipped perfectly on the first try! After that he got really stupid and didn't make 1 of a half-dozen shots; a couple of times missing the swamp completely.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.