Flipper physics 3.0

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So with flipper physics being implemented table by table, and then new difficulty coming soon table by table, there's going to be a lot of reasons to revisit tables!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
So with flipper physics being implemented table by table, and then new difficulty coming soon table by table, there's going to be a lot of reasons to revisit tables!

Good idea. You should come up with some kind of mechanic for making that happen.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Actually, it's not that bad. By revisiting tables like Black Hole and Black Knight, it helped bump my scores up.

When I had 71 million on Whirlwind, now I have 160 million thanks to [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION]'s Table of the Week :)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Actually, it's not that bad. By revisiting tables like Black Hole and Black Knight, it helped bump my scores up.

When I had 71 million on Whirlwind, now I have 160 million thanks to [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION]'s Table of the Week :)

I'm sure I speak for Dedpop when I say we were just kidding.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I like the feel of the flippers a lot better than the way they were originally.
My first live catch was a WTF moment, and agreed it's a bit weird looking. Post passes are still a bit too reliable but the varying strength is cool.

Overall, this got me to play TPA for the first time since December. I'm loving it so far.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I like the feel of the flippers a lot better than the way they were originally.
My first live catch was a WTF moment, and agreed it's a bit weird looking. Post passes are still a bit too reliable but the varying strength is cool.

Overall, this got me to play TPA for the first time since December. I'm loving it so far.

I agree about the feel of the flippers just feeling more.....right. It's odd to play Xenon for a while and then go to Medieval Madness or any of the early tables.

I have to say, there aren't many tables left out there that I just need to have, but with the improved flipper physics and more realistic difficulty settings coming, I'm getting more and more excited about the future of TPA.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I too felt WTF first time but after playing a while, now it feels very good. Good job FarSight! I can't wait this to be implemented to other tables. Quick!!

Apr 8, 2012
With the new flipper physics, can we do proper cradle separations now? I'm guessing not based on vikingerik's post stating that there aren't actually new physics but a series of new logical conditions, but I'm hopeful. What's everyone's experience? Is it close to real life or is it still flip (maximum velocity) and pray?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
actually if you do a drop or live catch in the real world it looks kinda like it suddly stuck to the flipper as well. so maybe it's just a bit too easy to perform in TPA. I am totally OK with that :).

if you barely or very quickly hit the button a real flipper it doesn't make the full movement. TPA alway does (on my setup). so the timing could still be improoved. this would enable us to do a WEAK shot (looking at scared stiff wizard goal).

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
If you do a GOOD drop or live catch, the ball sticks to the flipper. If you do one with close but not perfect timing, it will absorb most of the ball's velocity but leave it bouncing a little bit. TPA/Xenon seems to have only the first part of that, perfect catches, not a detailed range of outcomes.

Cradle separations don't feel any different to me on Xenon than on any other recent table.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
The good news: I agree the new flipper physics are one step closer to real and I've been live catching all over in Xenon.

The bad news: Had two game ending limbo glitches on this table already. The latest I had 8.5M on ball one, both balls in multiball drained STDM at the same time, and I guess one of them went into the infamous "oblivion" that all tables seem to have somewhere, and that game was ruined. I was hoping this phenomenon would go away someday.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Been playing this table a bit. Some of the catches seem surreal and not natural. I've caught a ball near the end of the flipper, also like the ball was Playdoh.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.