Bug Tube Shot Doesn't Reset After Ball Drains

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
When you drain a ball and collect bonus, the tube shot value is supposed to reset to 5,000, which results in an artificially higher score.

There's also an end-of-game bug. When your last ball drains, you collect your bonus the a higher-pitch tone sounds when that bonus is finished. Then you get some tones in synch with the spotter randomizing.

You can see both bugs (how it should be) in this gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay7QRh-MBzE

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Tube shot retaining value isn't a bug, it's an operator setting that happens to be switched on in TPA's version.

My guess is the table they bought came with this setting so the assumption was it is correct.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I do think this operator setting is badly chosen. in real life, if people were collecting this many specials, the operator would change it back to reset on drain.

Would lower the scores as well.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I do think this operator setting is badly chosen. in real life, if people were collecting this many specials, the operator would change it back to reset on drain.

Would lower the scores as well.

If they bought the table from a private seller who had the machine at home, it would've been set to free play so specials aren't really a concern, like in TPA. Since the rules are the same for everyone it's not like anyone's getting an advantage to scoring.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
This is an Operator setting, "Tube Bonus" in your dip switches.

Since there is no replay score, it is not too much of a worry as far as extending game time.
It does inflate scoring, but it helps to make a better all players type game.
Gives beginner players the ability to rack some numbers without extending game time out for better players, only scores.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Point made. you are right the setting does not extend game time.

That said, the extra ball limit is per physical ball, not ball in play.

If there were limit on extra ball per ball in play, you would only be able to collect it once on ball 1, once on ball 2, and once on ball three.

Was a maximum of three total extra balls intended?

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
Point made. you are right the setting does not extend game time.

That said, the extra ball limit is per physical ball, not ball in play.

If there were limit on extra ball per ball in play, you would only be able to collect it once on ball 1, once on ball 2, and once on ball three.

Was a maximum of three total extra balls intended?

Intended. Table is a little tough to start, but once you get the feel, games continue pretty long.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
so going infinite was intended? or was is impossible to prevent by dip switches?

Just checked the manual. it says straight out that the tube saucer is supposed to kick straight into the slingshot, and that the upper saucer kicks to the upper right of the upper bumper.

The dip switches are kind hard to understand, but i suspect there's no way to place a hard limit on extra balls at all. am i correct?

Members online

Members online