Discussion of FOV setting with Pics

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
Take a look at this pic of Firepower I did with the FOV setting on 5.

I think it's interesting because you get a subjectively nice top down view of the table, but, it appears as if the camera is slightly behind the flippers instead of directly over the center of the table.

I just wondered what you guys think about how it looks?

Here is a pic I took of Flight 2000 with the FOV setting on .06. It really brings the depth of the table to life!!!

So, that last picture was primarily a joke, but, I felt I needed more than 1 pic to start a new thread, lol.

Here is the cam file of Firepower with the FOV set to 5. View #3 I believe. Just in case any of you wanted to try it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/0unomz1j44q1w1c/Firepwr_FOV_5.cam

So what FOV setting are you fine people currently using and why?

Last edited:

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
Nice pic till the spamlink pops up.

Fixed the images so they are 1080x1920, instead of the 1620x2880 they were before. For some weird reason the screenshot was captured in Nvidia's DSR resolution instead of the resolution of my monitor. Every time I took a screenshot before they came out 1080x1920. Seems DSR still has a few bugs that need to be fixed.

Darquayle

Sep 29, 2012
Dorno,

THANKS for this posting. I tried out your example configuration and am now setting up all of my tables with an ~5.0 FOV. It really makes it feel more natural for topdown config. I've updated around 10 of my tables and plan to do them all. Here's the general settings that I've been finding gets it close on all tables.

Trans X = 19200
Y = -8350
Z = 140

Rotation X = -156
Y = 0
Z = 360

Zoom = 0
FOV = 5.0

These are way different than my previous settings but I really like them. For me, my rotation settings (X,Y,Z) all stay the same for all tables. So does the Zoom. So, I tend to only need to slightly adjust the Trans X, Y and FOV to meet my needs.

Now I just need someone to create an awesome tool to move the DMD to another screen and my Xenon cabinet will have a great pinball experience with TPA.

THANKS!

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
Camera files for your perusal.

Dorno,

THANKS for this posting. I tried out your example configuration and am now setting up all of my tables with an ~5.0 FOV. It really makes it feel more natural for topdown config. I've updated around 10 of my tables and plan to do them all. Here's the general settings that I've been finding gets it close on all tables.

THANKS!

Thank you very much for your nice reply. As is my habit I tend to become obsessed with certain things and then all of a sudden one day it stops and I move on to the next obsession. Well, now it has come full circle and I am once again obsessed with Pinball, lol.

So, I went through and created camera files for all 83 of the tables current as of Al's Garage Band. I use a single 24 inch monitor rotated from my wall mount. Those of you using multi-screen setups may like these camera files as well, but, since I don't have a 2 or 3 screen setup I can't say.

There are 3 different views.

1-A view that is lower to the flippers and tends to center them on screen. This view may not show parts of the table, like the very outside of the outlanes or the lane to launch the ball into play. This view uses FOV=2

2-This is a view of the backglass at the top of a rotated monitor with the table partially beneath it. This view is not playable and is mean only for looking at the backglass. Some of these views have the backglass centered on the screen and not at the top, so you don't see much of the table. This occurs mostly on tables earlier in the alphabet and I intend to fix this going forward, but, for now after lots of work I just want to play some pinball. This view uses FOV=1 as higher fields of view tend to obscure view of the table when placing the backglass at the top of my rotated monitor.

3-This is the default view (on most if not all tables) and the one I prefer using FOV=5 except in some rare circumstances where a lower FOV was necessary due to lighting issues at that high of a FOV. It includes the full table, except I do not include the instruction cards in the view or the plunger. I play with an Xbox360 controller and tend to just do it by feel. The lack of instruction cards and the plunger may be a deal breaker for some, but, it is something you can easily adjust by

On some tables the DMD covers part of the top area of the table. Personally I just switch the DMD on/off as necessary in the cases where it obscures something I might need to see.

I'm willing to take suggestions although it may take me some time to put them into effect assuming I agree with the suggestions being offered.

So here is the d/l link for the Cam files https://www.mediafire.com/?mo9dvmjtr96bkz9

I made these camera settings primarily for my own usage, but, I can imagine some of you with a second/third monitor for the DMD may like the FOV=5 view as well. Especially with the DMD appearing off-screen. Part of me wishes we could change the location of the DMD on the main screen, but, that would require me to do this stuff all over again, lol.

In a post below this one I will upload some Screenshots of the various views and of several tables.

Hopefully somebody finds this useful and it spares them all the tedious work that I had to do. Unfortunately many of us like things a certain way and for those of you like me there is probably no way you can avoid doing your own camera angles.

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
Centaur View #3

Flight 2k View #1

Flight 2k View #3

Funhouse View #1

Funhouse View #3

The Getaway View #1

The Getaway View #3

Judge Dredd View #3 (I thought this table along with some other wide body tables would be helpful.)

More images in next post

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
No Fear View #1

No Fear View #3

Roadshow View #1

Roadshow View #3

Twilight Zone View #1

Twilight Zone View #2

Twilight Zone View #3

That's all the images for now. Hopefully those will give you a good idea of whether you have any interest in d/l and trying out this camera pack.

As always much appreciation to the man who made this all possible with his custom camera mod!

Members online

Members online