Android TV support?

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Just got an Nvidia Shield android TV and its a pretty great device. I have Zen pinball running on there and I was wondering if there are any plans for Pinball Arcade to come to the Android TV platform?

tveith

Dec 9, 2013
Just got an Nvidia Shield android TV and its a pretty great device. I have Zen pinball running on there and I was wondering if there are any plans for Pinball Arcade to come to the Android TV platform?

I'm also hoping they offer support for Android TV. How hard can it be, just add controller support so that two buttons control the flippers (i.e. map keyboard keys to the controller). It really boggles my mind that they can continue to build these great pinball games on multiple platforms but can't take a little bit of time to update the game to Android TV. I have two Shield devices that are thirsting to play Pinball Arcade.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
At one point, I had considered getting one of those devices, mainly for TPA. But I heard that controller support for TPA and many other games was questionable at best.
Now if support for Zaccaria and Barnstorm pinball were to be added, I may still consider, since neither Zaccaria or TimeShock Ultra Edition seem to be coming out for PC. Not complaining about that, but if Zaccaria and T:UE have controller support for Android TV, that's where my money will go to support them.

I won't speak for anyone else, but pinball on a tiny touch screen just doesn't work well for me.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm also hoping they offer support for Android TV. How hard can it be, just add controller support so that two buttons control the flippers (i.e. map keyboard keys to the controller). It really boggles my mind that they can continue to build these great pinball games on multiple platforms but can't take a little bit of time to update the game to Android TV. I have two Shield devices that are thirsting to play Pinball Arcade.
Ouya has full controller support, so the precedent is there already.

FarSight just needs to port over the code and remove any Ouya controller API dependencies.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
I got overly excited when I saw this...http://www.tegrazone.com/games/pinballarcade. With the little check mark showing controller support. But can't install it on the Shield.

Not to mention that it doesn't actually have "Full Controller Support" on the Shield Tablet.

IDK why Farsight has yet to figure out how to put in full UI/UX navigation, same as on console/PC/OUYA, in the Android build, even though they seem to advertise it as such.

SML

Aug 3, 2015
I got overly excited when I saw this...http://www.tegrazone.com/games/pinballarcade. With the little check mark showing controller support. But can't install it on the Shield.

I was able to sideload Pinball Arcade to my Shield TV by using Air-Share. I had to use a mouse for some menus, but otherwise the program works perfectly. You can use HAL (Handheld App Launcher) to get around Pinball Arcade not appearing in the default launch screen.

Zaccaria pinball is the same way. It works, it just requires a mouse to navigate windows.

Of course, if Nvidia would re-activate touchpad support for the Shield TV, I wouldn't even need the mouse.

I would love for android TV support to become official for Pinball Arcade and Zaccaria pinball. Right now, only Zen Studios is on top of that.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Not to mention that it doesn't actually have "Full Controller Support" on the Shield Tablet.

IDK why Farsight has yet to figure out how to put in full UI/UX navigation, same as on console/PC/OUYA, in the Android build, even though they seem to advertise it as such.

Given they are working on a universal UI for the product, I would think that full controller navigation would be something that is at the forefront of the UI team's mind. It wouldn't have made much sense to finish the mapping with the old UI when the new UI was probably on the schedule for longer that we all may have been aware.

I already reported the full controller support misnomer to the Shield Portal team ages ago, but they haven't updated the listing.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
What appliance are you using? I wonder what's causing the "My Tables" crash for you but not me.
I'm on an nvidia shield android tv pro. I can get to my tables now without a crash. Might have had something to do with the fact I was using the android beta but it's working now. Next problem I have is the table nudges and tilts like crazy when I pull the plunger. The controller I'm using doesn't have analogs so I've been pulling the plunger with a mouse which causes random tilts. I'm gonna try another controller and see if it has the same issue.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Tried again with an analog controller and I can plunge no problem. The mouse causes crazy tilts which kinda sucks since i have to use the mouse to navigate. Also the UI seems ridiculously slow compared to my other android devices, which is strange since every other app I've sideloaded seems to run the same or even faster. Guess it will have to do until we get official android tv support.

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
I use a Razer Serval, it is designed with android in mind. It works in game with TPA and Zaccaria, but navigating and menus can be tedious. Have to keep using the remote/mouse cursor instead.

miseryguts

Jun 12, 2013
Does anyone know if support for the Shield TV is coming? ..it's such a great little device & NEEDS Pinball Arcade on there.

Last edited:

JohninKC

Sep 18, 2012
Sideloaded to my Nexus Player no problem. Really silly that a mouse is needed for the main menus as once in the tables list I can use the Asus game pad to navigate and play trouble free.

Plays great and looks great on my TV. Really hope Farsight gets Android TV support done. I've bought every season of the app and with Android TV being included with higher end TV sets it seems like a free revenue stream being left out.

mortuus

Aug 7, 2012
Bought a nvidia shield tv few days ago.. sad to see still no support on this :( only Zen pinball works i hope it comes soon would be fun to play on big tv screen...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.