Android TV support?

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
No. All you can do vith DS4 is to play the game once you start it with cursor (tablet/phone, separate mouse). At least I didn't find the way to do anything else. And the most annoying thing is that you need cursor again to start the same table.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Any update from Farsight on if this is ever happening? I bought a Shield TV for mostly other purposes, but I was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to play all my Pinball Arcade tables on the big screen and was very disappointed to find that it's not a supported Android TV app. Couldn't be too tough to make this happen, right?

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Any update from Farsight on if this is ever happening? I bought a Shield TV for mostly other purposes, but I was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to play all my Pinball Arcade tables on the big screen and was very disappointed to find that it's not a supported Android TV app. Couldn't be too tough to make this happen, right?
I think it's really just a UI and control scheme issue at this point. The game plays well on android tv, its just finicky in menus and using analog for plunging.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
I think it's really just a UI and control scheme issue at this point. The game plays well on android tv, its just finicky in menus and using analog for plunging.

Do you get all the same control glitches like on the Shield Tablet? For example, when you change camera angle using the controller the flippers will go dead until the end of your ball/game, no menu support at all, and anything more than selecting and starting a game requires use of the touch pad.

Sometimes I wonder how FS managed to get control interfacing done for Ouya, but couldn't do it on Android :/

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Do you get all the same control glitches like on the Shield Tablet? For example, when you change camera angle using the controller the flippers will go dead until the end of your ball/game, no menu support at all, and anything more than selecting and starting a game requires use of the touch pad.

Sometimes I wonder how FS managed to get control interfacing done for Ouya, but couldn't do it on Android :/

Sometimes at the end of a game the ball will reset but the game doesnt see them so an app restart is required. I'm not sure whats going on there. I know for sure that messing with anaolg nudge breaks it entirely. It treats one nudge like a massive table shake and the game freaks out completely.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
this is how it is with v2.04.10.... Bravia TV and dualshock 4
Game still isn't android TV compatible so no icon in launcher....
When game starts that uber annoying "press start" goes away with X.
Once in the main menu, right stick moves between options, cart, home and tables. Also, shoulder buttons do that and it works better with L1/R1. With L2/R2 it is slower and somehow two options are selected (blue) although just one is visible.
Settings & Options- well, there's no way to select anything there. Circle (O) returns to Home
Shopping cart- can't move between seasons, 5th is always selected but can choose table pack with D-pad. Circle (O) returns to Home.
Home- L/R on D-pad moves between recently played, latest release and all other options except logout. Up/Down does nothing. Circle (O) is exit/quit.
Tables menu- D-pad is used for navigation, X for selection. On selected table pop-up X starts the game or HOF, leaderboards, playstore and D-pad is for L/R. O returns to table selection. Stick also can select table but it messes with Home/Settings/Cart at the same time. Avoid. Sorting tables defaults to Default and no way to select anything else. Just like seasons in Cart.
Once in the Leaderboards, L/R on D-pad circles between tables. L1 circles overall/friend/my score and R1 all time/weekly/monthly. Left stick is for scrolling. Also in HoF score list. And O is exit.

When table starts and before the game starts..
D-pad L/R is for ball selection and triangle (T) opens table menu which can be navigated with D-pad but not L/R, just Up/Down.
Instructions- navigate with Up/Down but they can't be opened
Game Setup- L/R on D-pad
Leaderboards- see above
High scores- nothing to do there any way
Extras- Just like the instructions, Up/Down works but Flyer/Table history can't be opened.
Options- Up/Down works but here also X works for selection. But once in settings, nothing can be changed. Only button that does something is O to take us back. Sound can be switched off or on.
Golas- You can see them but can't select the instructions.
Pro Menu- Again nothing once you enter. O for back.

Once the game starts....
Holding X pulls the plunger. Right stick also does that but most of the time it doesn't launch the ball unless I push it up also. Quite tricky for precise launch in any case.
T changes the camera.
Square lock/unlocks camera
L1/R1 are flipper buttons
Left stick is for nudging
During gameplay, O is pause. and in Pause Menu D-pad L/R is for navigation, X is for selection. Options and Leaderdborads as above, the rest is OK.

On Funhouse, left plunger is controlled just like the right one.
Special button (launch button) is X. Tried on BSD and Black Rose.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
This is how it is with v2.20.8.... Bravia TV and dualshock 4
Game is android TV compatible, icon is present in launcher....
When game starts that uber annoying "press start" goes away with X.
Shoulder buttons move between setings, cart, home and all tables
Settings & Options- D pad up/down moves selection (but you can't use left/right so have to scroll down left column to switch to the right one). X is for selection. I'm not gonna try everything there but as an example in Graphics pressing X changes setting. But only once. To change it again you have to move to another option and back to change it again. Circle (O) for going back
Shopping cart- pressing left analog stick moves between seasons, choose table pack with D-pad. Can't go to START or PRO season upgrade. Circle (O) returns to Home.
Home- L/R on D-pad moves between recently played, latest release and all other options except logout. Up/Down does nothing. But you can't select login from there, only from settings Circle (O) is exit/quit.
Tables menu- D-pad is used for navigation, X for selection. Triangle for changing between sorting options. On selected table pop-up X starts the game or HOF, leaderboards, playstore and D-pad is for L/R. O returns to table selection. Stick also can select table.
Once in the Leaderboards, L/R on D-pad circles between tables. L1 circles overall/friend/my score and R1 all time/weekly/monthly. Left stick is for scrolling. Also in HoF score list. And O is exit.

When table starts and before the game starts..
D-pad L/R is for ball selection and triangle (T) opens table menu which can be navigated with D-pad but not L/R, just Up/Down.
Instructions- navigate with Up/Down and open with X
Game Setup- L/R on D-pad
Leaderboards- see above
High scores- Triangle to select reset high score and then X if you really want to. So, no way to select that mark at bottom right, pressing X will just reset them.
Extras- Just like the instructions, Up/Down works but Flyer/Table history can't be opened.
Options- Up/Down works, X works for selection. Settings can be changed but each time you actually change something cursor is gone so you have to scroll up/down again to select and change something else. O to take us back. Sound can be switched off or on.
Golas- You can see them but can't select the instructions.
Pro Menu- Now we can change stuf here, up/down for selection, X to confirm/change and unlike in settings, after any change cursor here returns to first option (Ball Control). Again, to change something twice (like ball control), select, press X, move to some other option than back to turn it of. O for back.

Once the game starts....
Holding X pulls the plunger. Right stick also does that but most of the time it doesn't launch the ball unless I push it up also. Quite tricky for precise launch in any case.
T changes the camera.
Square lock/unlocks camera
L1/R1 are flipper buttons
Left stick is for nudging
During gameplay, O is pause. and in Pause Menu D-pad L/R is for navigation, X is for selection. Options and Leaderdborads as above, the rest is OK.

On Funhouse, left plunger is controlled just like the right one.
Special button (launch button) is X. Tried on BSD and Black Rose.

So, it is better than before but somehow inconsistent and takes time to get used to it.

kurst

Feb 17, 2014
Trying it out on my Android TV - NVidia Shield TV with controller.

The menus are so hard to maneuver. The descriptions above are close to what I am experience. The Tables Menu looks like it is having a seizure, it tries to scroll to a position it never can get to jumping about 200 pixels down scrolling up in 1/8 second then resets and repeats. Going into the settings and options trying to get things to download was just horrible. I was just going insane trying to get it download.

From the game.... I tried the pinball is working good, a little laggy with the controller but I think it was because there was some updates going in the background. But it was so nice and fun to play on my Android TV Box.

But I hope they continue to work on this. It's amazing to see this on a android tv :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.