Road show

invitro

May 4, 2012
hold bonus = hold bonus X (my bad!), and you are right, it should be a priority to get it up at 6x every ball. I did profit though from it when I messed up a late ball and still got the huge bonus. I also think selling souvenirs is very bad, or did you just reiterate my point? Because it read like you misread the portion of my post about this
Well it's called "Hold Bonus" in the game, but what it does is Hold Bonus X... you were correct. I am currently having some difficulty getting 6X every time (and keeping the ball in play) so maybe Hold Bonus has more value for my skill level :(.

I just thought your admonition against selling souvs was not strong enough :) :).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm just happy I finally got Red to swallow a ball. She spits it out and says "I can't believe you like eating those things" which I thought was particularly funny.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
note that the 3x and 5x blasts can get bigger then the 15M super blast... however, the super blast is the safe shot.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
She only says that after you start multiball (cuz she saw him eat it)

Even still, getting to actually go in her mouth and not just bounce off it, that's the tricky part. I'm working on a theory (that is a pain to prove) that as you hit her more and more, she gets madder and madder, and at some point it leaves her mouth fully open for the gulp.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Even still, getting to actually go in her mouth and not just bounce off it, that's the tricky part. I'm working on a theory (that is a pain to prove) that as you hit her more and more, she gets madder and madder, and at some point it leaves her mouth fully open for the gulp.

Instructions say if you hit the ball into her mouth it's worth 20 mil (same as cheeseburger award for hitting her 6x)

invitro

May 4, 2012
Even still, getting to actually go in her mouth and not just bounce off it, that's the tricky part.
Story of my life.

I'm working on a theory (that is a pain to prove) that as you hit her more and more, she gets madder and madder, and at some point it leaves her mouth fully open for the gulp.
I would've expected this sort of behavior to be illegal in California.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
ROTFL
I still have love and hate relationship with this one. I like the artwork but for now it's a drainer on wich I'm not sure what to do. And I dont have much time now anyway. But at least it's more challenging than Xenon.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Haha :) We were all thinking it ;)

I have to say I find Xenon more challenging than Roadshow. Yeah Roadshow is a great looking table and I'm glad we got it, but it is a forever fest of left ramps and Bobs. Both are very easy and safe shots. Kind of like Addam's family, but here you get to grind souvenirs instead of mansion rooms. The modes themselves are almost pointless. I love both Roadshow and Addam's on real tables, but in TPA I've tried them 3-4 times each and when a table takes several hours to play this easily I just get bored. I haven't done the 125M jackpot goal yet, so I hope that will be more challenging.

Can't love em all I guess. There is a ton of tables in the collection now, and diversity is great.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Haha :) We were all thinking it ;)

I have to say I find Xenon more challenging than Roadshow. Yeah Roadshow is a great looking table and I'm glad we got it, but it is a forever fest of left ramps and Bobs. Both are very easy and safe shots. Kind of like Addam's family, but here you get to grind souvenirs instead of mansion rooms. The modes themselves are almost pointless. I love both Roadshow and Addam's on real tables, but in TPA I've tried them 3-4 times each and when a table takes several hours to play this easily I just get bored. I haven't done the 125M jackpot goal yet, so I hope that will be more challenging.

Can't love em all I guess. There is a ton of tables in the collection now, and diversity is great.

For right now, I'm loving the hell out of it. But then again, it's a Lawlor so of course I am. Here's the thing though, TotW is Twilight Zone, which I barely played until now. So 2 Lawlors, and yet I can't tear myself away from Roadshow. Maybe once I get the 125 million jackpot my attitude will change, as I'm in full on get the damn wizards mode. I do know that when I see this next at league night, I'll finally be able to post a decent score. Rules, they do actually help.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Some tidbits...

Is Construction Mania ever worth taking over the souvenir?

Anyone else have trouble with the Flying Rocks EB? I have yet to get it. And you know I've played it a lot.

I've yet to do anything good with Super Payday. Well I think I may've gotten an EB from its Wheel a couple of times.

Yesterday I got 23B (#5), with 40 cities, 58 Blasts, and a max Bonus of 3.4B (~51 souvenirs).

Anyone know which ROM the TPA RS has? Maybe L-6? The souvenir prices are very different from those in the IPDB rulesheet, which is based on LA-5 and/or LA-4.

Here's an attempt at a list of all the non-purchasable Souvenirs:
Pretty Rocks, New Car*, Wooden Indian, Toothpicks, Lawn Darts, Ashtray, Breath Spray, Uranium, Antacid, Explosives*, Bubble Gum*, Towelettes, Ammunition, Sea Shells*, and Poker Chips.
If you see another I'd like to know :).
* Not mentioned in the IPDB rulesheet at http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/1972/ROADSHOW.HTM . The TPA rulesheet mentions three of these: Ammunition, Lawn Darts, and New Car.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Is Construction Mania ever worth taking over the souvenir?

Anyone else have trouble with the Flying Rocks EB? I have yet to get it. And you know I've played it a lot.

Anyone know which ROM the TPA RS has? Maybe L-6? The souvenir prices are very different from those in the IPDB rulesheet, which is based on LA-5 and/or LA-4.

In my opinion Construction Mania is not worth to play, got the mode for the wizard goal only once. A souvenir combined with a city give more points.

I haven´t collected the flying rocks EB until yet, very hard. :(

The ROM is L-6.

Maggie

Jan 8, 2015
I'd say I get the flying rocks EB every other game or so. It's weird because while I always pull the plunger out to the same markings, it gives different results -- but that's true of a lot of skill shots.

Am I right that there's no reason to buy the non-city souvenirs (wax lips, etc.)?

My current high is 9.6B (9.8, really, but the internet connection crapped out on me and it didn't post to the leaderboards). I'd say at least half of that if not more was bonus. So a decent, but certainly not good player can get good results by simply doing the following:

1. On the first ball or two, raise the multiplier, spin the wheel. Work through the modes, mostly ignoring them. (I had been just been making the raise multiplier shots during the modes, but am thinking maybe that's a mistake because while you collect mode points along the way, you also have the table shaking more, and that increases the chance for mishap.)

2. Once multiplier is maxed, collect as many souvenirs as possible. Only buy the city souvenirs. If you do this enough the pinballs show up, which is great.

3. Once the bonus gets pretty high, I de-emphasize spin the wheel and go for raising the bonus multiplier as efficiently as possible. (Left ramp, left ramp, right orbit/ramp, trap at fire in the hole; repeat.) I risk more losing the ball by going for the spin, than I gain by hoping to get the wheel around to extra ball. It's killer to have a late ball drain without 6x.

4. Hold a ball on all multiballs including super pay day. The pay-offs aren't worth risking having all the balls drain. Souvenirs are safer to collect and they are worth 60M on each ball.

If I ever get this nailed down really well, it might be worth shifting to riskier strategies to get more extra balls. But I think there's still upside on this strategy and I want to max that out before trying for more. My two high scores included at least two or three late balls that drained without 6x. So I don't know if the strategy gets me to 26B (1000 HOF points). But I think it gets me at least to the mid-teens.

Last edited:

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I got the flying rocks EB each game as well, not on every plunge, maybe 1/3 or 1/4, but you can only get it once per game so you don't need perfect accuracy on that. I held the tip of the plunger a bit lower than the middle of the lowest black arrow, if that makes sense.

Construction mania felt very bad risk/reward wise, better to skip it. Big Millions can also be risky, I had 2 drains from that (although I guess I scored the 25M a lot of times as well). I also drained twice in the same game from shooting the right ramp. When it feeds the right inlane it flipped very quickly back and into the outlane instead. I stopped bothering with the right ramp after that, it's a pointless shot anyway.

I got 50M from a blast once, not sure how, but it was a cool surprise :)

Multi-ball and Super Payday I do like on this table. It's hard to get any kind of rhythm, but when things click and the jackpots are rolling in it's a blast(!).

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Another Standout Hit for this Season, I Think this might be the best of Season 4 So fun, I love the humor, I love the rule system, I tend to just try and do the table vs working on the best HS strategy and this one has a great flow to its rules and mission system and is alot of fun. There's always something I want to try and get better at..I'm totally digging it.
some of the dialog of the dummies is really laugh out loud good.. very charming

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.