Road show

invitro

May 4, 2012
Some minor things...

I think if you get a Wheel EB in Las Vegas, and then start Super Payday and collect Las Vegas, you do get the EB again! I'm pretty certain this happened for me once or twice. This isn't mentioned in the rules, I didn't expect it to happen. (If this is true, I'm wondering if you can get this EB more than once in a single Super Payday.)

Sometimes when a mode is running, and the ball is kicked out of the lock, and I let it fall to the R slingshot and do the usual L flipper catch, the mode timer doesn't restart. This is mainly a benefit on Las Vegas. It doesn't seem reproducible to me, but happens fairly often.

I have a note to self saying "don't play Salt Lake City!" This is because if you do, the next mode is either Seattle or Los Angeles, so you don't get to play Las Vegas.

I got two Gold Pinballs and two Lead Pinballs in my last game.

The DMD gets messed up a lot for me... I'd put up a pic but I guess you guys have seen it too. It's annoying. I wish I knew a way to prevent it. I thought the trigger was doing Flying Rocks when a mode was running but I think there's more to it.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Getting more than one of each type pinball as souvenir would be consistent with how souvenirs seem to work (stackable) but is still huge when considering EB possibilities! Nice to know in any case. I haven't seen any corruption to the DMD, what does it look like? Maybe a ROM-based thing?

Maggie

Jan 8, 2015
I saw my score for Roadshow just yet, sorry about your score not posting. Anyway if you scored 16B, you'll probably have an even better game in you still!

You were right! 31B! And everything posted really fast, so no waiting anxiously to see if the number took.

You can definitely get multiple pinballs from Bob. My game was so-so, I was on the 2nd ball, having used up the gimme EB's, and I got two gold pinballs in a row which revived my game. For me, the strategy is to ignore even the spin the wheel shot in favor of cranking up Bonus X and getting to a board where there is nothing left to do but light up Bob, collect Bob, light up Bob, collect Bob, etc. Felt like it could have gone on forever because the pinballs do show up at Bob's often enough. I just got bored after a while and decided to start experimenting with other things, and drained out pretty quickly.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I haven't seen any corruption to the DMD, what does it look like? Maybe a ROM-based thing?
Here is how it looks in its early stages. It gets a little worse but I don't have caps of that yet. I'm sure it's a buggy ROM, nothing FS can do about it, so I'm just curious if it's avoidable.

R2b70Cz.jpg

GruuwiT.jpg

UOJonda.jpg

fRvuiJj.jpg

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
That does look like ROM corruption, haven't seen it yet though. The top 2 look like they might occur if your score goes beyond the 10B? If it does not mess up the game, we're fine. I still have a slight PTSD from a monster score on STTNG that bugged out on me, and that was accompanied by the same type of corruption....

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
You were right! 31B! And everything posted really fast, so no waiting anxiously to see if the number took.

You can definitely get multiple pinballs from Bob. My game was so-so, I was on the 2nd ball, having used up the gimme EB's, and I got two gold pinballs in a row which revived my game. For me, the strategy is to ignore even the spin the wheel shot in favor of cranking up Bonus X and getting to a board where there is nothing left to do but light up Bob, collect Bob, light up Bob, collect Bob, etc. Felt like it could have gone on forever because the pinballs do show up at Bob's often enough. I just got bored after a while and decided to start experimenting with other things, and drained out pretty quickly.

Wow, @ss has been kicked, thoroughly! What place did that score yield on the leaderboards? I'm grading papers from students at the moment so I should not pick up my iPad, must....be....strong.... :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Got the beta yes and I got some news flash about road show but I don´t have the table?

Right, what he's saying is you need to go back into 'properties' of the game on Steam, select the beta tab, and then "opt out of all betas". The game will then update and Roadshow should be available.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm still not score chasing because of that last damn wizard of 125 million jackpot. I finally got it raised to that, then promptly lost the multiball before I could shoot for it. Grrrrrrrrr.

invitro

May 4, 2012

For me, the strategy is to ignore even the spin the wheel shot in favor of cranking up Bonus X and getting to a board where there is nothing left to do but light up Bob, collect Bob, light up Bob, collect Bob, etc. Felt like it could have gone on forever because the pinballs do show up at Bob's often enough. I just got bored after a while and decided to start experimenting with other things, and drained out pretty quickly.

Hey Mags, I hope your score (and mine) eventually posts "permanently", aka on the website! It is visible when playing RS but nowhere else (not the website, or from a different table).

Congrats on the big score, I've enjoyed your posts about moving up. I like reading anyone's tales of moving up the leaderboard, and you write particularly well, so I hope you post this kind of stuff on your next tables :). Are you planning to play RS more?

I'm taking a break from RS now, at least until after SYT's tourney, but I'm sure I'll be back soon.

I've started "ignore even the spin the wheel shot in favor of cranking up Bonus X" myself. The running ramp shots feel too dangerous to me, and I don't get 6X every time... in my 67B game I had 2X and 3X the last 2 balls. I don't just do souvs though, I start cities and mostly let them time out when they get lit, especially if they are multiballs, and I make a big effort to get Las Vegas for its Wheels. And Super Payday is huge for Wheels, although I have plenty of room to get more of them there. I had 92 Wheels (plus/minus 12, maybe) in my game... that's 7-8 EBs plus the Hold Bonus awards which I now love (contrary to my earlier claim).

But if the gold/lead/zinc pinballs happen often enough for them to be the best way of getting EBs, doing cities and SP may become unimportant... I hope that's not the case!

I got 96 Blasts, so I'm still a long way from the 255 rollover and 2 more EBs. But I still haven't worked on that trapped L loop ball yet, and I'm probably not getting enough Blasts as a result.

Other stats on my 67B game: 101 souvenirs for a max bonus of 6.725B. 74 cities. Started all 18 cities twice... WOW WOW. 18 balls: 3 house, the 500M one, the 7X one, the 7?-Blast one, the 50-Blast one, 2 Gold Pinballs, 2 Lead Pinballs, the Flying Rocks one, so 6 Wheel ones. I got one Wheel EB from Las Vegas but didn't double it in SP. Had 6X on 12 of the 18 balls.

invitro

May 4, 2012
That does look like ROM corruption, haven't seen it yet though. The top 2 look like they might occur if your score goes beyond the 10B? If it does not mess up the game, we're fine. I still have a slight PTSD from a monster score on STTNG that bugged out on me, and that was accompanied by the same type of corruption....

It's not a big deal, but I do find it very, very annoying. I get nervous that I'm misreading those Bob's screens and so buy all souvenirs as a result (I've started declining the duds). I can't at all recall if the corruption ever clears out. I don't recall if I had 10B yet, but good idea, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Common element in RS/STTNG: Dwight Sullivan. Keith Johnson used to complain about his programming skills :).

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Yeah. I really can't imagine how those multi billion games look. Like a machine playing a machine.

I just got Roadshow on PC the other day and streamed my second game, just having fun. I quit at 6 billion but my highest is 59b. A high score game would probably look a lot like this but a lot more boring as I would definitely play it a little more safe, but you can get an idea of how it looks and maybe pick up a few tips which will improve your score. I had my mic connected but it didn't record for some reason so only gameplay sound unfortunately (or fortunately).
[video]http://www.twitch.tv/switch3tv/b/672399891[/video]

Maggie

Jan 8, 2015
Wow, @ss has been kicked, thoroughly! What place did that score yield on the leaderboards? I'm grading papers from students at the moment so I should not pick up my iPad, must....be....strong.... :)

The way the game escalates 31B isn't really that much bigger than 15B! It just means that a few more balls went out with a high bonus. My last 6X bonus was close to 4.5B.

I grade for a living too! (The teaching I do for free.)

Maggie

Jan 8, 2015
Congrats on the big score, I've enjoyed your posts about moving up. I like reading anyone's tales of moving up the leaderboard, and you write particularly well, so I hope you post this kind of stuff on your next tables :). Are you planning to play RS more?

Thanks! I'm done with RS for now -- though I don't have that 125M jackpot wizard. A great thing about TPA is people can have very different agendas. My main focus is on HOF points. Once I have 1000 it's hard to be motivated to keep playing a table. Of course, I only have that problem on 5 tables!!! At some point I might switch to chasing leaderboards. Right now, I'm terrible -- this is my only table in the top 100 (for now, it's early days). I have maybe 8-10 in the top 500. My worst is about #20,000!!! (Totan, which I cannot figure out). I only do really well on tables that have well-defined strategies and that don't punish errant shots too severely. I knew early on in playing RS that this was probably one I could do well with -- once I figured out where the points were and how to manage the 3-way with some success.

I've started "ignore even the spin the wheel shot in favor of cranking up Bonus X" myself. The running ramp shots feel too dangerous to me, and I don't get 6X every time... in my 67B game I had 2X and 3X the last 2 balls. I don't just do souvs though, I start cities and mostly let them time out when they get lit, especially if they are multiballs, and I make a big effort to get Las Vegas for its Wheels. And Super Payday is huge for Wheels, although I have plenty of room to get more of them there. I had 92 Wheels (plus/minus 12, maybe) in my game... that's 7-8 EBs plus the Hold Bonus awards which I now love (contrary to my earlier claim).

But if the gold/lead/zinc pinballs happen often enough for them to be the best way of getting EBs, doing cities and SP may become unimportant... I hope that's not the case!

It's hard to know if you could really go infinite on my strategy. I may have just had a very lucky run on pinballs at Bobs. But I definitely got to a place where I had 4EB queued up, 3 from Bob, 1 from the wheel. Once I had all the cities lit, it just seemed very profitable to keep lighting up Bob and collecting. The downside is boredom, which is why I shifted to playing around with other things, ending the game pretty quickly). I don't do well with multiballs, and usually only get 100-200m on super payday. And I only sometimes come out with an extra ball. I never get many blasts... just the first EB from that. I haven't really even read the rules for the blast! I just know that enough usually happen along the way that eventually an EB will show up from them!

Last edited:

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Here is how it looks in its early stages. It gets a little worse but I don't have caps of that yet. I'm sure it's a buggy ROM, nothing FS can do about it, so I'm just curious if it's avoidable.

R2b70Cz.jpg

GruuwiT.jpg

UOJonda.jpg

fRvuiJj.jpg

If we had solid steps to reproduce this, then we could try and determine if we can fix it. I haven't found any reports of this happening on the real table and we have only seen it once in game. Any other info regarding this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.