First impressions

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
interesting about black rose - haven't played in a while - is it easy to avoid getting a special?

was just thinking about the old light gun games like duck hunt - where you just shoot anything and everything without consequence (kind of like pinball) - eventually those shooters evolved to include targets (like innocent victims) that gave you a penalty if you shot them - so you had to have quick reflexes and basically think before you shoot. Some of the zen pinball modes do this (hit this but not this) but i don't think there is any examples (that I can think of) in real pinball.

Oh I can think of a whole lotta things you ain't supposed to hit in ST:TNG. :)

invitro

May 4, 2012
interesting about black rose - haven't played in a while - is it easy to avoid getting a special?
From memory... it lights at the left lock lane, which is important to hit, but it times out after about 20 seconds. But jackpot is so unimportant in BRose that it doesn't really matter, right?

There are tons of times in real pinball when you really don't want to hit a shot. You don't want to start a mode or multiball too early, or collect a jackpot before maxing it, or face a tough kickout, etc. Tons and tons. Maybe not things that will explicitly give you a penalty, but there are probably those too.

Quick example from tourney, in Diner, at the start of a game, I really don't want to hit the right lane for the random award until I have a ball locked. Because if I wait, it'll still be lit, and the random award will be multiball, and after the ball loops around to the top left, the right lane will be lit for that mode where the ramps are worth 500k (sorry, can't think of proper names right now). But if the right lane is collected prior, it will unlight, and then an extra shot will be needed to light the 500k-ramp mode.

Anyway, those kinds of things are all over the place.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Good point invitro. I hate it when I hit that saucer in MM and I'd only gotten Joust lit. Aaaaaargh!

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Yeah really good point - instead of penalty shots there is good solid strategy in real pinball!

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
This table has way too many easy and repeatable extra balls. Easiest table in TPA to play forever for sure, which makes it quite boring IMO. A shame as it looks fantastic. Anyone know the 1k HOF limit?

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Easier than BoP in this respect? And Funhouse?

Yes I think so. It's really easy to stack up on ebs by getting red line mania multiple times in one ball. The orbit shots are super safe and easy to hit. Quite a few tables have similar issues, but this one takes the cake imo.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
This table has way too many easy and repeatable extra balls. Easiest table in TPA to play forever for sure, which makes it quite boring IMO. A shame as it looks fantastic. Anyone know the 1k HOF limit?

Hi Gus,
I have that feeling also, just posted the (then) #3 score before the weekend with 26B and have one under pause at 7B on ball 1 with 3 EB's. I think 1K HOF is around 8-9B. The table rules are a bit shallow for sure, but I really like the feeling of controlling the Jackpot/Super Jackpot and scoring multiple SJ's. Bread and butter is getting one ball on each flipper after regular Jackpot, backhanding the Super Charger from the left flipper for loops towards the Super Jackpot (with a timely nudge to get control on the left after a return ball). And shooting the SJ from the right flipper. I go right back to building up loops again and key is to get control back over the ball that returns from the lock area to the right flipper. I try to do that by backhanding it as quickly as possible towards the right upper flipper and catching it for a cradle on the right, or deadbounce it back to the right from the left, depending on the trajectory of the ball. This can be done before the other ball returns from making 10 loops. My best string of successive SJ's in this way has been 4 and the SJ itself was up to 950M in that game, just missed passing 1B. A good place to stash balls during MB when in a fix is the tunnel. Not only will you collect any lit EB and cash in on the helicopter bonus, but the ball stays there for a few seconds and can be cradled at the right or deadbounced to the left depending on what you need. The tunnel itself can be backhanded from the right and shot straight from the left flipper.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
That shift gears audio is annoying, and it's a bit of a drain monster for me, but I'm really liking it so far

I love the annoying shift gears audio because otherwise I would never remember when to shift gears. Who has spare eyeballs to watch the RPM lights?

I can do a decent job on this table which, as we know, probably means it's easy. :p However, I have a hell of a hard time getting the traffic light to advance (that is, hitting the target banks reliably). The original High Speed was much easier on that score for me. (This may reflect that I played High Speed 1 a whole lot in actual arcades, but never saw High Speed 2 IRL.)

invitro

May 4, 2012
However, I have a hell of a hard time getting the traffic light to advance (that is, hitting the target banks reliably).
Those targets don't pay off. Go for the orbits for RPM and EB, for the side loop for RPM and points, and the saucer for points and maybe EB. Then get Red Line MB for big points and an EB.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.