Is Super Mario Bros any good?

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
So I've finally been given permission to rent a pinball machine for one of our monthly games nights at work! Pretty awesome! However, I haven't played any of the games I could choose from. I was given Meteor, Checkpoint, Super Mario Bros and X Files to select. I have played X Files and don't like it, so I figured I would go for the biggest brand recognition and go for Mario. Meteor would be too old to make an impact on non-pinball fans, and Checkpoint is a bit obscure.

Think I made the right choice? Is Mario good? I do like Tee'd Off and Cue Ball Wizard in TPA, and I understand those and Mario are designed by Jon Norris, so I think I should probably enjoy it. But is it good for newcomers?

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Mario is ok, pretty cute and forgiving. Definitely a good beginner's table and the brand is a household name that still has relevance. I think Checkpoint is probably another good choice but I'm certain Mario is easier. Why didn't you like X-Files? I actually think that's the most-fun table you listed...

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
While it can be a fun table, shooting the left ramp followed by the side ramp over and over quickly scores more points than anything else on the table.

Also, you were seriously considering picking X-Piles? That's literally the worst machine for a work night. Really aggressive unless you know how to play it, and even then it isn't that fun.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Ohh, i dunno... I like X-Files. I think most serious players would recommend Checkpoint. But you said you wanted something easy. I think Mario is the way to go, these people aren't going to be critical of score balance or anything, they just want to keep the ball in play and have a good time.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
While it can be a fun table, shooting the left ramp followed by the side ramp over and over quickly scores more points than anything else on the table.

Also, you were seriously considering picking X-Piles? That's literally the worst machine for a work night. Really aggressive unless you know how to play it, and even then it isn't that fun.
Remember, this is a work function. Not a papa Tourney. 😉

I doubt the employees will be playing for sheep stations.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Read his post again. He said it was one of the rental options presented to him, but he's played it before and doesn't like it. So no, he was never "seriously considering picking X-Piles". :)

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Read his post again. He said it was one of the rental options presented to him, but he's played it before and doesn't like it. So no, he was never "seriously considering picking X-Piles". :)

Ah, ok. Maybe it was just an excuse for me to say X-Piles. Sometimes I like discussing certain games just to give them puns

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Thanks guys, sounds like a good choice was made then. When I showed my coworkers pictures of the Mario machine, they were set on getting it anyway! Everyone is excited about getting it in, never thought the reaction will be this positive. Will let you all know how it goes in two weeks time.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
So in the end Mario became unavailable and we got Funhouse instead. I have to say, though, it was a perfect choice. The rules were simple enough for people to understand how to play it - people were trading tips and point at various shots while their friends were playing, "You need to aim for this now". They understood pinball. We're getting another one soon :)

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Funhouse is actually brutally hard in real life. but it IS easy to understand, and Rudy is really fun.

Super Mario Bros IS easy, but if they like funhouse, then i'd go for other lawlor games. with the exception of twilight zone, they are all actually pretty simple.

Easy to learn, hard to master.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts