First impressions

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Solid table and a great sendoff to Steve Ritchie (before he came to Stern). Jump Ramp is surprisingly tough to make reliably and the flow of the game is really good, up there with Spider-Man and AC/DC. Best table of Season 5 so far, in my opinion

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Solid table and a great sendoff to Steve Ritchie (before he came to Stern). Jump Ramp is surprisingly tough to make reliably and the flow of the game is really good, up there with Spider-Man and AC/DC. Best table of Season 5 so far, in my opinion
I`m on board the choo-choo train !!! great table Cap. :cool:

Industrial_Foods

Nov 7, 2014
Looks ok, but jeez,how obnoxious can you get? I didn't like the 90s when everything was EXXXXTREEEME! This table is everything Bill Hicks was disgusted with about amerikuh; loud, aggressive, garish.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Could be him. According to the Internet Pinball Database, Michael is the son of Alvin.
As it seems he used to work "a little" in the Pinball biz. Concept & Design.
I think his father Alvin passed away in 2013.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Could be him. According to the Internet Pinball Database, Michael is the son of Alvin.
As it seems he used to work "a little" in the Pinball biz. Concept & Design.
I think his father Alvin passed away in 2013.

You're right. Son of Alvin.
Senior Director, Game Development @ Bally Technologies.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Looks ok, but jeez,how obnoxious can you get? I didn't like the 90s when everything was EXXXXTREEEME! This table is everything Bill Hicks was disgusted with about amerikuh; loud, aggressive, garish.

I'm with ya, except maybe for Bill Hicks. In particular, the music & sound on this table are godawful, it's like Starship Troopers. Blech. At least the art is great and it seems like there's a lot to figure out. I wonder if this table hadn't been licensed, if WMS would've done it in a semi-parody style. It's awfully hard not to smirk at the "second place is the first loser" and "SMOKIN'!" type of callouts. You know they're meant to be dead serious.

I like that the ball coming down the right inlane past the flipper is more realistic, and doesn't accelerate and scream down like Farsight usually tunes it.

The wizard goals are back to being easy after a couple of toughies.

Mapping out the Video Mode might be worthwhile. It seems to be worth a fair bit of points.

On my Steam/PC/DX9 version, the lit inserts don't differ enough from the unlit ones. I wish Farsight could focus on this more consistently.

The physics seem kind of lame and flat on this one. Ball movement doesn't feel as nice as in the last few tables.

The status report is meager, though I haven't played enough to know for sure if that's a criticism. If it is, it's lazy programming. Overall this seems to be a very weak effort from WMS. (Edit: the status report should have # of races won, and maybe # of shots to advance Raceway. Maybe the next award from the right orbit?)

During my first game, the sound made me sick. Literally... I had to step outside to vomit a little. That's a first. Or maybe I ate too much turkey & stuffing.

First game: 180M, then 1234M, then 5536M. Later, 9683M. I haven't glanced at the rules yet, but I'm going to now to see if the Freeway/Raceway Extra Ball just takes a few more shots each time. Then try for 10B.

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Meh....... I have no problems with "extreeeeem 90's feeling", sound is fine, artwork is a bit messy but gameplay....... Can we get Radical!

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Okay played it a bit.

My observations

1) it's way too hard to shoot the left ramp on the fly. i can make it at least 80% of the time in real life. it's a very wide ramp.
2) jump ramp is pretty hard. not a real problem.
3) skydive, track, and skull are ludicrously difficult to shoot on purpose. At least 50% of the tie i cna get a max skydive value in real life. i'm really lucky if i do it in TP, and omg, that skull is a hard shot. i could use advice on consistently shooting each shot.
4) is the flipper gap really that huge? feels like lightning flips all over again.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I love No Fear, one of my top 5 easily, played it so much in real life too. Ritchie's tables are always so fast and full of flow, and it's really cool how he'd often do the voicework himself. I always had a hard time with this table, and here it isn't much different; seems a bit more difficult to pull off a jump in PA, somehow.

Does the Mortal Kombat 3 Skydive trick work? Did they disable the extra ball button on this table?

Last edited:

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
Okay played it a bit.

My observations

1) it's way too hard to shoot the left ramp on the fly. i can make it at least 80% of the time in real life. it's a very wide ramp.
3) skydive, track, and skull are ludicrously difficult to shoot on purpose. At least 50% of the tie i cna get a max skydive value in real life. i'm really lucky if i do it in TP, and omg, that skull is a hard shot. i could use advice on consistently shooting each shot.
4) is the flipper gap really that huge? feels like lightning flips all over again.

So far backhand from a catch on the right flipper is my easiest consistent way to hit the skull. Feels like a more generous margin that way.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
I like this table. I remember when people wore t-shirts that told the world that they had absolutely "NO FEAR" and I am glad that they had made a pin commemorating a time when amateurs were encouraged to participate in extreme sports and got really hurt... :)

I was surprised on how blatantly T2 this table is - I think Ritchie just moved the skull a bit to the right. Payback time, ball locks, auto fire, relightable kick back, left saucer prize, etc.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
You know, the funny thing about the obnoxious audio is that I find the skull less annoying than the other voice, the one who sounds like every bad TV sports announcer ever.

I was already old enough in the nineties to get annoyed at the kids and their extreme everything. Apologies if you were one of those kids.

Apart from all that it seems like a fun table with an absolutely clear flow of what you're supposed to be doing at any given time. I got about 700M on my first game and haven't been able to do anything close to that since then :p Apparently I got really lucky on the outlanes the first time. So far I have made the jump shot once, and only once. I'm not sure I've hit the skull shot (that's the one dead center in the middle of the small "auto track" loop, right?) even once. Conversely, I find the skydive shot fairly easy to hit. Dunno.

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
Ball movement seems to skate across the table rather than roll. And the flipper gap is huge. Is this true to the real table?

Last edited:

Iain

Jul 28, 2012
Okay played it a bit.

My observations

I have played this table many times in real life and its one of my fave tables. The flipper gap on TPA is way too big.

The physics really also seem to be totally off on this one and the ramp shots just dont flow like they should. I cant put my finger on whats wrong with the ball movement but it just feels nothing like the real table, the flipper gap is a big part of that though I think and that right outlane is more brutal on TPAs version.

Im really disappointed with this conversion though and like I say its one of my fave tables in real life but this conversion just feels totally wrong.

The real table does play a lot like BK 2000 which is no surprise as its a Steve Richie table and TPAs version of BK 2000 was awesome but No Fear is just not there sadly.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.