Doctor Who Kickstarter

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Space Shuttle: SpS
Scared Stiff : ScS

Simple as that. I like acronyms. AFAIK, it's very useful, IMO. LMAO.

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
ISWYDT :)

Can I ask what's going on with this Regenerated table - presumably it's the same ROM underneath, but with the code calling Farsight's script elements rather than the original sounds etc. I know for a fact that the ROM houses code for the Dalek topper to move, so I wonder if things like that will be in the new table?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
If you type "acronym" into Google, all of the definitions agree that an "acronym" must be a pronounceable word made up of the initials(-ish) of other words.
So POTUS (President Of The United States) or ISIS (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) or NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) are acronyms.

Kinda surprised me because that means that TLA and ETLA aren't actually acronyms.

But if they're not acronyms, and they're not abbrevs. (see what I did there?) then what are they?

I mean, BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), IBM (International Business Machines), DHS (Department of Homeland Security), DSS (Department of Social Security), IRS (Internal Revenue Service), CNN (Cable News Network) - what term do we use for these very common uses of taking initials to form something shorter? If you ask most people, they'd say it's an acronym. Not every company/organization/entity has a set of such fortunately aligned initials that using them results in a pronounceable word!

Sure in some areas the use "code" or "symbol" is in common use.

For airports, the term "code" is used: JFK, ORD, LAX, and so on.
For stocks, the term is "symbol": AAPL, FB, AMZN, and so on.

So maybe we come up with our own, special, term when such a linguistic construct refers to a pinball table. My stab is "pincronym".

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Well there used to be code written into the forum whereby the full term was revealed by hovering over the acronym....

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
My take is that it's the platform that sets the rules. FasSight can't offer a Season Pass for that platform unless approved by the console/platform maker. That's why the consoles tablepack release dates are later than the "teacher's favorite". The platform owners, i.e.: Microsoft and Sony, restrict when FarSight can offer a certain tablepack(s) to the public through their console. Does that make sense?

I assure you if FarSight could release a game on all platforms in one day, they would.

No it does not make sense as I am currently on Season 5 passes for both PS3/VITA and the PS4 (and have been buying only passes since S3 as I didn't trust the 'refund' mechanism for S2 when they started on PSN). That the actual tables are released with a long delay is something we have learned to live with, but that does not mean there will not be Season 6 passes anymore.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
No it does not make sense as I am currently on Season 5 passes for both PS3/VITA and the PS4 (and have been buying only passes since S3 as I didn't trust the 'refund' mechanism for S2 when they started on PSN). That the actual tables are released with a long delay is something we have learned to live with, but that does not mean there will not be Season 6 passes anymore.

The problem is one of what we can guarantee we can give out due to platform limitations.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Does that mean S5 could be possibly the last season on PS3???

I'm not sure to understand your post. :scared:

I thinks he's just referring to Kickstarter rewards.

They can't offer S6 passes for PSN/XBLIVE as KS awards, and then discover that Sony/MS won't allow them to actually do that.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
I thinks he's just referring to Kickstarter rewards.

They can't offer S6 passes for PSN/XBLIVE as KS awards, and then discover that Sony/MS won't allow them to actually do that.

Yes this. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Just referring to what we can give out as rewards or similar. No need to worry about your PS Season passes as things stand.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
If you type "acronym" into Google, all of the definitions agree that an "acronym" must be a pronounceable word made up of the initials(-ish) of other words.
So POTUS (President Of The United States) or ISIS (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) or NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) are acronyms.

Kinda surprised me because that means that TLA and ETLA aren't actually acronyms.

But if they're not acronyms, and they're not abbrevs. (see what I did there?) then what are they?

I mean, BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), IBM (International Business Machines), DHS (Department of Homeland Security), DSS (Department of Social Security), IRS (Internal Revenue Service), CNN (Cable News Network) - what term do we use for these very common uses of taking initials to form something shorter? If you ask most people, they'd say it's an acronym. Not every company/organization/entity has a set of such fortunately aligned initials that using them results in a pronounceable word!

Sure in some areas the use "code" or "symbol" is in common use.

For airports, the term "code" is used: JFK, ORD, LAX, and so on.
For stocks, the term is "symbol": AAPL, FB, AMZN, and so on.

So maybe we come up with our own, special, term when such a linguistic construct refers to a pinball table. My stab is "pincronym".
Eldar,pincronym I like,money well spent on your education in the Old Dart,you picked up the lingo quite well !!!! :cool:

invitro

May 4, 2012

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Nomenclature), they are initialisms:

Although the word acronym is often used to refer to any abbreviation formed from initial letters,[SUP][2][/SUP] many dictionaries and usage commentators define acronym to mean an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word,[SUP][18][/SUP] in contradistinction to an initialism (or alphabetism)—an abbreviation formed from a string of initials (and possibly pronounced as individual letters).[SUP][19][/SUP] Some dictionaries include additional senses equating acronym with initialism.[SUP][20][/SUP][SUP][21][/SUP][SUP][22][/SUP] The distinction, when made, hinges on whether the abbreviation is pronounced as a word or as a string of individual letters.

Clearly, the pinball variety should be called pinitialisms, or "pii" in short. But it seems to me that "acronym" is just fine.

P.S. One pinitialism that confused me that came up on this forum was "GE". I'm curious if anyone immediately knows what that one refers to.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
P.S. One pinitialism that confused me that came up on this forum was "GE". I'm curious if anyone immediately knows what that one refers to.

If not Genie, then Genesis is the only other one I can think of that fits. Neither needs shortening though in my opinion.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Ok guys...if you would like to continue conversing about acronyms, please open up a new thread.

Let's keep this thread on topic please.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Did any good amount of promotion ever occur on any Dr. Who fancies or official channels? As much as I would have expected the most recent tier additions to have an impact, I wouldn't have imagined they would have had that kind of effect on their own and the new tiers don't count for even a third of the gains made in the last few days.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
Did any good amount of promotion ever occur on any Dr. Who fancies or official channels? As much as I would have expected the most recent tier additions to have an impact, I wouldn't have imagined they would have had that kind of effect on their own and the new tiers don't count for even a third of the gains made in the last few days.

Monday's 4k bump pushed it to #1 on kicktraq which gets a lot of traffic and might have caused the massive bump Tuesday.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
well I bumped my donation from $30 to $100 when the new tiers were announced this week.i`m sure quite a few of the girls and guys did the same thing as I did.have a look back ,once the new tiers came out everthing went sky rockets.in the end we passed the mark with money left over for the next table.all I can say to everyone ,JOB WELL DONE !!! I`m really looking forward to the Dr. Who table.use to watch the show on our ABC because they had a lot of the BBC programs during the late 1950s and 1960s.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.