Doctor Who Kickstarter

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Out of curiosity, are you guys excited for the kickstarter, or the table?

I'm excited for the table, loathe kickstarters. But I've seen in past posts where people are positively excited for kickstarters, which boggles my mind, which made me wonder.

I don't think people are excited about throwing money at Kickstarter as much as they're excited about a table that's in need of a Kickstarter. ie. TZ, ST:TNG, T2, TAF. A fairly significant group so far.

Fungi has it.

But will be curious what Dr Who related extras they add to some of the tiers. Other than the gold table reward the Addam's extra's weren't too enticing. Not sure what they can offer at the $100+ tiers to make it enticing to pledge in that range.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013

I'm excited for the table, loathe kickstarters. But I've seen in past posts where people are positively excited for kickstarters, which boggles my mind, which made me wonder.

Yeah not really excited about the Kickstarter just for the table..However will not be contributing to this table as much as I did for TAF that's for sure.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
It's a funny thing Kickstarter, because a well-run campaign can become addictive and get a personal feeling. If the people behind the kickstarter can make it feel like that, it's easy to get invested. I supported some Kickstarters which I very much wanted to succeed (Pillars of Eternity, the new Torment), so I checked those everyday and really followed the progress. When they funded and went to achieve a lot of stretch goals it was a wonderful thing.
But here's the catch: I don't really like how Farsight runs it's campaigns, they are very handsoff and don't communicate very well. Don't get me wrong: I really want those Kickstarters to succeed because I want the next pinball machine to be made for TPA and I will support regardless. It's just a pity, because I think more can be done with a Kickstarter.

wolfson

May 24, 2013

shutyertrap TABLE for me !!!:cool:

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Eh, I find this table terribly dull to be honest, but it had plenty of fans and they requested it a lot, so here it is.

Can we have The Shadow or Williams Indy next?

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
LOTR would be the one and only KS I would support.
But maybe we'll get it for free with the new Stern app...

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I don't think people are excited about throwing money at Kickstarter as much as they're excited about a table that's in need of a Kickstarter. ie. TZ, ST:TNG, T2, TAF. A fairly significant group so far.

This is exactly how I feel. I have yet to contribute to ANY Kickstarter, TPA or not, but I see it as a good sign that they are at least attempting to get tough licenses.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
translite_dr-who_pinball_bally_01.jpg

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
A short gameplay vid:

I have yet to play the real thing, looks pretty cool. The ball lock reminds me of Pinbot. I guess we can guess what some of the goals would be if it succeeds by the promo vid, super jackpot, loop champ ect. Hope this goes through so the game can keep chuging along.

jonesjb

Mar 22, 2013
Is Dr Who actually a top tier game in terms of gameplay and rules, or is its popularity mainly a result of the theme?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Is Dr Who actually a top tier game in terms of gameplay and rules, or is its popularity mainly a result of the theme?

At the time the game came out, (new) Dr Who had been off TV screens for 4 years, so timing-wise it was a bit odd.

It's certainly challenging. The rules are quite complex, and the layout is unusual to say the least. It is kind of like Pin*Bot, and not just the lock mechanism.

It's one of those pins that some like, and some hate, and there's rarely any middle ground.

invitro

May 4, 2012
It's one of those pins that some like, and some hate, and there's rarely any middle ground.

I'd say I'm in the middle... :) I liked playing it a lot, but I'd probably rather see over half of the unmade WMS DMD tables.

The last time I checked, it was #71 on IPDB and #62 on Pinside. This seems a tiny bit high to me. :)

When I played it, I used its video mode as the main part* of my strategy for high scores (at least 2B, that was a very long time ago :( ). I don't know if that's the best strategy, but if it is, I suppose you better be ok with playing tons of video mode to like DrWho. It is almost the same as the Amazing Roonie thing in CV, IIRC... run and jump while a Dalek chases you.

Keeping the ball in play and under control is very hard until you learn the shots, partly because of the smaller "lightning" flippers. My main hope for the TPA version is that Farsight preserves its difficulty, as I think they did with Fish Tales.

* There's a whole lot of other stuff for the strategy though. As Eldar says, the rules are very complex.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I really like the table. I think it's pretty highly regarded in general, and a fairly good tournament pin. I think they used it in the finals of the latest ifpa world championships.

Nice gameplay, strategies and features. To break it down quickly, you have three ways of scoring, which all can score big. Multiball, video modes or looping upper flipper ramps. The twist of the table is that you can build up x scoring by shooting loops. Every loop to the upper ramp raises your scoring by 0.5x, and you can get it up to 4X scoring, for a limited time and then it will start to drop down again and you have to shoot more loops to get the scoring back up to 4X. So you get your 4x scoring and then either continue making loops (every 10:th loop starts up a kind of triple combo possibility for great scoring), start a multiball or go for video modes.
Another feature that adds a little strategy is that at the start of every ball and after locking a ball, you choose one dr to help you, and they all have different "special powers". One will start multiball faster, another one will start video mode faster and another one will get you 4x scoring faster and keep it longer. Then also every time you finish one of the video modes you get to keep a dr, so you can stack them.

It is a pretty hard pin,and it's got the lightning flippers, but those seem to make the best digital versions, like drac and fish tales, so personally I think it will be an awesome tpa pin and I will surely back it.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I am ecstatic for dr who and it gives me hope that some other tables like Dirty Harry and the Shadow could still come out. It's a great table that I have loved playing and had been disappointed in past statements that this game was unlikely. The big question, since it was strongly suggested that it would be the next Kickstarter by farsight, is what happens to Simpsons? Will it be part of stern, did something happen where negotiations didn't go as hoped? Many interesting possibilities to ponder.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I should imagine this will get funded easily. It's a pretty popular game, but the license is really hot right now, and if they make it a stand-alone app I'm sure Dr. Who fans will pitch in, even if they aren't pinheads.

Members online

Members online