Criticism on Zen Pinball

morenoquinteiro

Oct 16, 2013
I really, really want to like Zen Pinball. And I kind of like it. The thing is: the table designs are not that good. I just play them and they are boring as hell, nothing really cool happens. The tables are gourgeous, they have great art, but the rules really don't get me. For example: you activate a mission, and then you have to do like, 5 or more things in a sequence to win that mission, and it really doesn't make sense. Sometimes they have a time for a task, sometimes don't, sometimes the time is very generous, sometimes they are really short (like, 5 or 10 seconds only), and if you don't manage to make it in the given time, that's it, the mission is lost. This is just an example, but this is very common in a lot of tables.

Don't get me wrong, it is really a great game, probably the best virtual pinball that there is around (maybe Pro Pinball is better, but they only have like, 4 or 5 tables only, so it doesn't count, and Pinball Arcade is definetely much better, but they just simulate tables, they don't design them, so I'm not counting it too). But I play once in a while and it really don't appeal to me, especially because the table rules and the game design. Another example: Star Wars table, Episode IV: you activate the mission lane by... completing the in-lanes? What the hell? How am I supposed to aim for that? And when the ball is dropping there, it is just to fast to change the lanes, simultaneously getting control of the ball... it doesn't really make much sense. No real table activate a mission like this, and you might say "but that's not real pinball, so whatever", but well, I think there is a reason why real table designers don't do that, because it makes no sense. It is just random and luck to activate a mission like this.

Some tables are really, really good, like Fear Itself (this table is really great), and some others, but I would say that, at least, 60% or 70% have real issues about game design. Another example: Portal. That table has a ramp right above, that it is hard to shoot (one which is "hidden"), and I would expect something cool to happen if I manage to shoot it, but then... it increases my value for the skill shot! So boring. Why that? And if you hit a portal, it just appears far away, in another portal that, because of the camera, you can't even see there is a portal there (in the upper right side of the table) and nothing really happens, so it is not satisfactory to shoot it. I mean, shooting the portal should be the most cool thing to do in the table, and nothing really happens.

The voices are way to repetitive, like in a Star Wars table, when Darth Vader say, in EVERY ball you lose, "Just as I expected", and very quickly it starts to annoy you. The music doesn't change much, it is basically the same music in the background all the time. Take, for example, a real table like Medieval Madness and it changes the music all the time, getting a more thrilling tone, a more tense tone, depending on the mode you are in, and so on. The Zen Pinball tables just don't seem to react, it is like they are all dead. Sometimes they have some minigames (like, videomodes, miniplayfields and so on) and it is hard to understand what they want you to do (to this day, I don't know what a Excalibur miniplayfield want me to do), and when you discover what it is, it is not really cool, it is really dumb and boring. Sometimes they have minigames like videogames (like Starfighter Assault, from Star Wars), and this one was really really bad, it looked like a bad shooter for PC from the 90s, I mean, c'mon. It was not good at all. Why that? Why not making a cool thing to do in the table itself? Or a minigame that really works well (I'm not against it if it is well done). Well, just some thoughts.

Street Fighter table: the table is so boring! It is gourgeous, as all Zen Pinball tables. But the rules are boring! It is like playing a Street Fighter game and having a bad time only to select a character to play (like, getting stuck in the selection screen).

As I said before, don't get me wrong, it is a good videogame and it is worth playing, the tables are very beautiful and the rules sometimes are good (some tables are very good), but there is something wrong with it. It is like the Zen Pinball art designer is a genious, but the table designer himself is like, just ok. I know it is impossible to hire a Steve Ritchie to design them, but there should be a way to have more talented table designers or give them more time to work on the rules. And that's a pity, because the tables look very very good, they are wonderful just to see it (pressing the zoom button and just looking at it), but they are not very fun to play. And they are really screaming to have a good table design, which they mostly don't.

Just some impressions I wanted to share, and forgive my bad english, this is not my native language (I'm brazilian). See you. :D

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I have played a lot of early Zen tables like Sorcerer's Lair, Excalibur etc. I don't know if they got better at it in the mean time but as a long time VP and TPA player (and tables IRL), my main problem with Zen is that I can't get used to the physics. The balls feel sticky and fall down awkwardly. I know you can make adjustments but I like my tables ready to play NIB as it where. I already spent way too much time tweaking VP tables in the past. A criticsm that could be directed at TPA is the lack of customisation, but because I think they do a very good job overall on physics from Season 2 and onward, I don't mind that.
I look at it like a fun diversion from time to time, but often I get miffed by the physics and quickly return to TPA tables. I hope they further upgrade their physics after implementing flipper passing and live catches.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
I prefer the physics of Zen over TPA, and vastly prefer their tables. Playability on Zen is much better feel, more realistic ball weight also. Since I enjoy both games immensely I think this just boils down to preference. I think the worst scenario would be for either game to change the physics :) I have many tables on each and when I sit down to play, I choose Zen about 70% of the time and TPA probably 30%. Also, since I only play on consoles, and not mobile, well, that may also present a different perspective on the feel of both.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
All the things you complained about of zen are in fact not unique to zen. Timed modes , hurry ups , lighting up letters in the inlanes/outlanes and everything else you mentioned you dont like about them are all game play mechanics of pinball in general , used everywhere , all the time , on real pinball machines ;)

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015
You obviously care about Zen tables and I can appreciate some of your points. Remember they are quite a small studio creating all these tables from scratch, I think there's over 60 available now and they have been going for a relatively short time.

I think just moving flippers slightly further apart would improve everything greatly, I do understand they want to appeal to as many people as possible though.

I personally love Zen :)

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
You're not the only one that feels this way morenoquinteiro. People ask who the designer is for the newly released tables because there are multiple at their studio, likely trying to avoid ones they haven't liked in the past.

Some zen tables feel like Phantom of the Opera to me, requires 7 shots for activation with a tight timer for actually scoring points. Just because they used the same mechanics doesn't mean it's done well, it may be a challenge but I wouldn't call it exciting.

Is 40+ people a small studio? Seems rather large compared to TPA.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Remember they are quite a small studio creating all these tables from scratch, I think there's over 60 available now and they have been going for a relatively short time.

Well, their team size is about double of FarSight's. They have about 40 people working for Zen Pinball. This is quite a number.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I looked into the Pinball FX2 (which I think = Zen?) tables a little over the holiday because of the Steam sale and hunger for new pinball. I'd like to see a ranking of all or most tables by someone who is good at TPA so I can know which FX2 tables to focus on since there are so many. I searched PAF and the rest of the Internet and found some recommendations but no big overall rankings. Can anyone help? Maybe [MENTION=1051]Pinballwiz45b[/MENTION] since I believe you play FX2?

I'm not sure if I'll get any... the FX2 tables look so incredibly ugly to me, I haven't heard good things about them from you guys, and the licenses are of no interest to me. But they're dirt cheap during a sale ($1 to $4), so if FX2 has leaderboards and tournaments, I think I might give them a shot during the next sale. They don't have to be too close to TPA (or WMS) quality to be worthwhile at that price. :)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
If you like something closer to real pinball go for the older core pack, especially excalibur (very good), pasha or secrets of the deep (my favorite). If you want the uniwue zen feeling go for star wars or south Park (!).
Epic quest has some unique role playing elements that make fun for a while

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Zen pinball has actually been around longer than TPA, not sure if they were before the Gottlieb or Williams collections. They are certainly an acquired taste. I love the weight of the ball, but could use a little more bounce to their rubber. None of their ramps act as vacuums, and certain shots can be quite unforgiving. It's also important to note the tables are much more interested in telling a story and having you advance than they are in forcing quick ball times. In that respect, tables can be boring until you figure out how to move things forward, and then they get really interesting.

In terms of what are and aren't good tables, it's really to each his own. I love the Iron Man table, but am greatly in the minority. The South Park tables, Family Guy, and Deadpool tables are quite funny. I just spent a whole month playing Epic Quest and found it quite enjoyable. I'm not big on tables like Infinity Gauntlet or World War Hulk, as they are a little to heavy in the fantasy department, but the flip side is they offer some really bizarre pinball challenges that you simply couldn't get in real life.

My advice, check in with Humble Bundle weekly and see if a Zen bundle happens. I picked up something like 25 tables for $6. Scoop up the 75% off tables on Steam. If anything, download the free table (Sorcerer's Lair) on Steam and then you can demo any other table available. I do play TPA way more, but then I'll switch over to Zen and find myself falling down the rabbit hole for a while. Their UI is phenomenal, constantly in game showing you your friend's scores to beat, and it becomes very addicting.

I do agree with the music. It's gotten better with new tables, but the older stuff is completely generic. I often wind up turning it completely off. Tables also often suffer from a "well what the hell do I do next?" of knowing what to shoot for, with only vague instructions compared to what TPA does.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I agree that the voices are way too repetitive. I know you feel a presence you have not felt since, that we have a die-rect order from the President, and that the caravan arrived to an unnamed small town. I get it-I'm not stupid. Well, at least not that stupid.....

Anyway, my main beef with Zen pinball is that nudging is impossible without tilting, so you don't really have that option. Also, all of the tables are way too difficult, except Ms. Splosion Man-which nearly puts me to sleep every time-it's that easy.

But it's good that Zen is doing their part to try to keep pinball relevant, and apparently it's been successful enough to sell huger numbers. But TPA is more about preserving memories of classic tables. Having played many of them IRL, that's why I like TPA so much. It will be interesting to finally try Timeshock Ultra Edition on PC. I have the original, but there are no controller options. That one program you download never programs controllers properly.

I first remember seeing Pinball FX on the 360 in late 2007. I didn't care much for it. But Zen made some serious strides in the jump from PFX to PFX2, and has kept improving ever since.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
When I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting it to be a whining rant about "why Sony is releasing these games instead of actual fun video games!1!!". I'm surprised someone else besides me has the same complaints about the game.

The earlier tables are honest to god crap, V12 and Tesla are two of the worst pinball machines I've ever played. While I feel the new tables are up to par with even some current pinball tables, I hate the older ones.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
my main beef with Zen pinball is that nudging is impossible without tilting, so you don't really have that option.

there's a few facets to this,

1)their warnings expire
2)there is no tilt bob
3)nudge strength is based on the sticks location, not a delta between two locations (TPA)
4)the sticks deadzone is around 33% of the stick and the last 10% is always a warning so the stick works against you in two ways
as an example you can't hold the stick at the 33% mark and full stroke to only get a 66% strength nudge
5)going in any direction a few (less than 5..) degrees from straight up left right down will result in a tilt warning much sooner.. like you can't even do 50% left and 50% up without a warning

loosening up on their warnings wouldn't hurt their game, you still need to nudge at the right time for it to do much of anything.

I know most of this from my lookings into emulated analog input, thanks to peoples complaints about TPAs slamming nudges.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I looked into the Pinball FX2 (which I think = Zen?) tables a little over the holiday because of the Steam sale and hunger for new pinball. I'd like to see a ranking of all or most tables by someone who is good at TPA so I can know which FX2 tables to focus on since there are so many. I searched PAF and the rest of the Internet and found some recommendations but no big overall rankings. Can anyone help? Maybe Pinballwiz45b since I believe you play FX2?

I used to play and enjoy Pinball FX2 for a long time. Ever since they have nerfed diagonal nudging among other factors (such as that EULA), I have decided to leave the game until further notice. Zen has "reset" (archived) leaderboards twice; the latter being for the bang back nerf. The fact that the PC version is now inferior to mobile and console users regarding bang backs, as well as the terminology used by Zen in the patch, is disgraceful.

I propose a challenge to you console and mobile players: Show proof that you are able to bang back. We PC players are being punished for something that is a non-issue.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226980/discussions/0/490121928355358516/#c492379159709727925

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think just moving flippers slightly further apart would improve everything greatly

+1000.

When I first started playing Zen, I fell in love with the tables and upgraded to a newer iPad just for better Zen performance (this was before TPA came out), but I soon realized that it's basically impossible for the ball to drain down the middle and I got bored very quickly. Haven't bought a single table since then, which is really sad because some of them look downright amazing.

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
I propose a challenge to you console and mobile players: Show proof that you are able to bang back.

Bang backs are still relatively easy on console. In fact, one of the awards on a table (can't remember which) is to successfully perform one. However, I'm on WiiU, so I suspect if they've patched it out of other versions they simply haven't got around to writing WiiU patch yet. Still several table not available there too.

But I shouldn't complain, at least Zen has released a product on WiiU ;)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
+1000.

When I first started playing Zen, I fell in love with the tables and upgraded to a newer iPad just for better Zen performance (this was before TPA came out), but I soon realized that it's basically impossible for the ball to drain down the middle and I got bored very quickly. Haven't bought a single table since then, which is really sad because some of them look downright amazing.

But again, these tables aren't trying to drain the ball, they're giving you the chance to complete all the modes. Now I get why that can be boring, especially if you're not bothering to try and work through everything. That's why these need to be viewed differently from s regular table. It took me weeks to beat the wizard mode of Epic Quest, and isn't easily achieved. That's what made the table interesting, not challenging ball times.

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
That's why these need to be viewed differently from s regular table.

I think this is the key for the enjoyment of Zen's table. Zen isn't Farsight and don't want to be. Also, table designers at Zen aren't Ritchie/Lawlor/Angehlo and don't want to be. They have no concerns about cost to manufacture or getting the most quarters out of your pocket.

It's not better or worse than <insert pinball game here>, it's different. Enjoyment of any table is coming to terms with what it is, rather than trying to shoe horn in what you think it should be.

The physics are different, the table hardware is different, the table software/goals are different. Accept and enjoy.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I used to play and enjoy Pinball FX2 for a long time. Ever since they have nerfed diagonal nudging among other factors (such as that EULA), I have decided to leave the game until further notice. Zen has "reset" (archived) leaderboards twice; the latter being for the bang back nerf. The fact that the PC version is now inferior to mobile and console users regarding bang backs, as well as the terminology used by Zen in the patch, is disgraceful.

I propose a challenge to you console and mobile players: Show proof that you are able to bang back. We PC players are being punished for something that is a non-issue.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226980/discussions/0/490121928355358516/#c492379159709727925

Really? Could you please sum up what is wrong about the terminology?
I rarely read those.... (Yeah)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
But again, these tables aren't trying to drain the ball, they're giving you the chance to complete all the modes. Now I get why that can be boring, especially if you're not bothering to try and work through everything. That's why these need to be viewed differently from s regular table. It took me weeks to beat the wizard mode of Epic Quest, and isn't easily achieved. That's what made the table interesting, not challenging ball times.

Makes sense. I love goals as much as anyone, but (and I know I've said this before) half of the fun of pinball in general is the battle to keep the ball alive, and that just isn't really there in Zen, so that's why I stopped playing when TPA came along. I do think the tables themselves are cool though. Just wish they'd add like a "hardcore" physics mode or something, especially for mobile when you have just a few minutes to squeeze a game in.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.