Tactics and Strategies

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Discuss your tatics when tackling this table!

I try to do the following...
Plunge weak or skillshot at all times: it falling onto the blue mushroom resulting in zipping the flippers is important to me
Backhanding: appears to be what you should do for lighting the other yellow mushrooms, the locks and for your Wotan lane points.
Multiball: Don't shoot into the locks unless you have a ball under control, you may end up with a simultaneous drain&lock or lock&drain.. I'd just avoid multiball all together.

I may pass on trying to do this the longest.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Rule #1 on Fireball is definitely learn to hit the skillshot. It's a good deal of points on this table and lights the bumpers for you.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Get the flippers to cover the center drain (hit the blue mushroom). Hit the captured ball. The right revolver lane below the saucer.

invitro

May 4, 2012
The strat appears to be getting as many skill shots as possible, thus locking balls as much as possible, thus releasing them after they are locked. Some timing needed to get max pts when releasing. I got 100k so far. I predict a 500k game pretty soon, 1M may take a little while.

Baron Shadow

Dec 14, 2013
Looking Nice, i have à real one over here. Yes skillshot is very important. It gets you 3000 points and bumpers light. Bumpers will give you 100 in stead of 50 points per hit.
Only thing what always is à problem with digital pinball is that on a real table you can tap the button a little for control but on digital one the result will be a full swing of the bat

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
While I'm happy that FarSight has finally done this table they completely f'd up the double flip. It has no power. When the zippers are closed you should be able to hit both flippers to send the ball, at least, half way up. There's a video of Elwin exploiting this to the right lane over and over again. I've even been able to do this with much less consistency IRL.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
The trick on the real table is to close the zipper flippers then let the ball settle between the two closed flippers coming completely to rest. You then use a slightly staggered double flip to aim for either sides ball lock and get multiball going nice and safely. As in this video here...
https://youtu.be/-BYKMLIuo3Q
Only problem is (at least on Android) you can't seem to do this due to TPA flipper physics, or at least I can't. It'll only shoot vertically for me :-(

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Can't do that on PC either and it's likely because of their 'soft tip' hack they added for flick-passes*, I believe they acknowledged the problem of weird behavoir near or at the tip of the flipper shortly after flipper-physics 3.0 came out.

I know I've seen some funny stuff when the ball hit's the top quater-half of the flipper tip but leaving a flipper up and having an incoming ball bounce from the other flipper and hit the very tip of the engaged flipper to bounce back hasn't been a problem. that's not a regular occurrence, but I will do that it if it seems appropriate

*A flick-pass is holding up a flipper while the ball comes down an inlane and you flick the button as the ball approaches the tip of flipper to give it extra distance

A tap-pass is pressing an un-engaged flipper button so quickly that the flipper either barely moves or doesn't extend all the way (this is what Baron Shadow was discribing)
video example

I heard when you use analog buttons for flippers you can half press them to not activate some tables 2nd set of flippers, I haven't tested or heard anyone bring up slightly pressing them for tap passes on early tables.

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
The trick on the real table is to close the zipper flippers then let the ball settle between the two closed flippers coming completely to rest. You then use a slightly staggered double flip to aim for either sides ball lock and get multiball going nice and safely.
Backhanding the left saucer is easy, and I think would be easier than this method even if it worked on TPA. Backhanding the right saucer may be easy too, but I don't have that down yet. :)

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
The weak doubleflip has one advantage and that is a repeatable and easy right cradle (providing you don't stagge it but time it precisely together). Although I'm not steady yet on the right backhand, this may be well the most safe albeit boring strategy. If you pass the gate, only good things can happen: lock, alley triple rollovers back to either plunge for skillshot or exit to zipped flippers, rinse/repeat. Even a locked ball doesn't block the alley. Getting all three rollovers lit for 1000 is a challenge though.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
For those who collect skillshots, how safe is it for you? I thought I would want this setup but seems risky without a bit of nudging.

Well, if I can aim for exactly the middle of the real estate between the guide rails right and gate to the left to the bumper area, I'm allright. To close to the right will either miss the blue mushroom and get wild, or hit it slightly and become a railroad to the right outlane. Very hard to nudge that one, most success with pre-emptive nudge towards the blue mushroom when clearing the skill shot. I'm playing with the idea to overshoot the skillshot entirely when on the same ball and with bumpers alrrady lit. It seems like that is a safer and more controlable shot. Does cost 3000 points though.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I think this game is pretty buggy. I've had multiple games end while I lost a ball in multiball, even though the other ball was still in play. Is this normal behavior for a Fireball?

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
I found a little trick. If your plunge is too weak to hit the 3,000 point skill shot, a well timed upward nudge can sometimes still hit the last 1,000 point rollover.

Allana

Feb 18, 2013
Me too

I think this game is pretty buggy. I've had multiple games end while I lost a ball in multiball, even though the other ball was still in play. Is this normal behavior for a Fireball?

Happened to me too. Had a ball in a hole, camera went to the plunger, but no ball popped out. Calling attendant didnt work. Had to restart game.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Happened to me too. Had a ball in a hole, camera went to the plunger, but no ball popped out. Calling attendant didnt work. Had to restart game.

Mine was a little different. I still had a ball in play in the middle of the playfield and the high score screen came up.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
About the previous setup I mentioned earlier, continuous chances at skillshots, if it happens to you just release the gods and it'll drop the locked balls and one should goto the plunger and the diverter should be up again.. this is advantagous if you kept the other two balls in play and can relock into the Wotan then continue wotan loops for extra insurance.

Normally I'd start the game by getting them zipped, backhand into Odin saucer, release Odin and try to get my 3K lit. Once lit and zipped I'd backhand into Odin saucer as insurance for the future incase I backhand the Wotan lane too early and release Odin. After all that I'd just plunge weak and backhand Wotan lanes, if it locked no big deal.

You should catch up to me in about 40 minutes of play.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Almost got you there Relaxation but lost my focus after 600k. Tarek caught you though, no surprise there. I think this table will take 1M, probably even 10M as the iOS 1000 HOF score is at 600K. Weak plunging is indeed key to getting the ball relatively safe to the zipped flippers. It's all about getting set up properly with a lit right alley and then grind your behind off. 33 shots for 100K, 333 shots for 1M. I found that late shots to the alley (bouncing off to the left) can be often collected again quite safely by nudging the ball towards the middle of the table. Otherwise it's a little prayer to the Fire Gods.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.