Minimalist Gotltieb EM list

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
I’m really enjoying Fireball and El Dorado and look forward to future EM’s. It seems unlikely that they’ll ever come in the numbers approaching the SS and DMD games, and so it is even more difficult to get some sort of concensus from polls or otherwise on the best ones to make.

I had previously tried to think of the top five or ten EM’s (mostly Gottlieb’s) that I would want but that seems unrealistic. Putting aside my top choices in some case my goal was to come up with the minimal set of Gottlieb’s to cover various types of play. This list may not include everyone’s number one choice, but hopefully is representative of GTB EM’s and falls within most people’s top few choices to get the most well rounded combination. I’m sticking with Gottlieb as I am very familiar with the history and play of their games, and have limited knowledge of Bally and Williams EM’s (or the others, for that matter). Fireball was one I’d played and would advocate, and I’m glad we now have it. So this is more an exercise in trying to come up with the smallest list to represent the greatest variety of Gottlieb EM's both in terms of playstyle and popularity.

The Gottlieb EM minimalist set of tables:

Four Tables:

Royal Flush: El Dorado is a great game with lots of drop targets, and while I don’t think it’s a good idea to have all these selections be drop target games, Royal Flush is a great game, balanced for competition, and should be represented. Royal Flush (along with El Dorado) cover the drop target fix, and so I leave out 2001/Dimension and some others to ensure different styles.

Atlantis: In my mind, I always go back and forth on whether I would choose this or Centigrade 37 if I had to choose one over the other. I settled on Atlantis because not only is it a great game, it was another produced in various incarnations (before as Lawman/Sheriff) and provides a different style of play with no return lanes. There are so many good choices in the 70’s (Abra Cadabra, Fast Draw, Surf Champ, etc.) but since we can’t have them all, I would use Atlantis and Spirit of 76 to cover these various playfields, though it is an imperfect solution.

Kings and Queens OR Sing Along/Melody: A roll-over classic would be a good complement to the 70’s drop target styles, and Kings and Queens is a great player and iconic. Both it and Sing Along/Melody have the four kicker hole feature. I think K&Q is the more classic game, but some might argue the other is a better player. However, in that case, I’m not sure whether the replay (Sing Along) or AAB (Melody) would be the superior choice.

Slick Chick: A bumper based game. I love the play on this one and it’s different from other pinball. The gobble hole is good to have represented on at least one game and is balanced by the lack of outlanes. The ruleset is clever and challenging and supposedly one of David Gottlieb’s favorites. Some might argue for Gigi if talking about bumper based games. Ones mileage might vary, but I found that I always want to go back and play Slick Chick again but while I think Gigi is very cool and clever, after you explore the initial novelty of it, it doesn’t just draw you back in as much. I love 60’s Gottliebs and there are many other great choices (Crosstown, North Star, World Fair, Ice Show, etc.) but for early to mid 60’s, I think Slick Chick is the best choice. Some have said that the playfield of Sing Along/Melody is kind of a combination of Kings and Queens and Crosstown/Subway, which might be another point in its favor).

Those would be my choices for top four, with a fifth being Spirit of 76 which would cover a number of tables from the mid to late 70’s that have no slings and instead the four in-lanes and a slightly slower pace of play (though a tough choice among many good options). I would love to see Majorettes (an add-a-ball game never made as a replay) but am probably in the minority on that one as it is too different) and so I tried to make a small list that may not have everyone’s (nor my) number one choices, but hopefully falls into the majority’s top five choices when it comes to Gottlieb EM’s.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
That's a very good list and I enjoyed reading your reasons for selecting them. My top five Gottlieb EMs would be 1970's heavy. That is my absolute favorite EM era. My 5 would be something like this.
1. Atlantis or Centigrade 37 - Would love both, but that seems greedy. Probably have too much in common to have both of them.
2. Surf Champ/Surfer - Love the Layout and love the shots it makes you hit.
3. 300 - Bowling themed pins are always fun to me. Bowling and pinball are linkined in my head. I'd prefer Strikes and Spares or Triple Strike, but we are sticking to Gottlieb for this thread.
4. Buccaneer/Ship Ahoy - One of my favorite spinner shots ever. Love the simple rule set of lighting all the lights on the wheel. Easier said than done.
5. Joker Poker - One of my all time favorite drop target games ever. Though I wouldn't mind Royal Flush in its place. Royal Flush is probably 5a for me.

Some other of my favorites that just miss my top 5 are; Vulcan, King of Diamonds, Sing Along, Abra Ca Dabra, Quick Draw, Jumping Jack, Sky Jump, Volley, and about a dozen more. Gottlieb really knew how to make EMs.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
4. Buccaneer/Ship Ahoy - One of my favorite spinner shots ever. Love the simple rule set of lighting all the lights on the wheel. Easier said than done.

That spinner shot is truly one of the best in all of pinball.

Great lists, gentlemen.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I`ll take the lot !!!looks like we`ll get 2 EMs every season,any chance of 4 a season or is that stretching everyones friendship?:eek: :cool:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Would add Four Million BC to that list. Probably my next favorite EM to play next to Fireball - and somewhat similar in what it offers: zipper flippers, 3-ball multiball, kickback, nasty outlanes, and a similar Odin ball hole scoring. Plus it has a pretty good ramp skillshot.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Would add Four Million BC to that list. Probably my next favorite EM to play next to Fireball - and somewhat similar in what it offers: zipper flippers, 3-ball multiball, kickback, nasty outlanes, and a similar Odin ball hole scoring. Plus it has a pretty good ramp skillshot.

The OP was limiting it to Gottlieb pins. But I agree, Bally Four Million BC is fantastic. I love the playfield and backglass art as well on that one.

karl

May 10, 2012
Great lists from all!

Mine does not differ that much but here it goes.

This is my list If we keep it to Gottlieb games. It is damn hard to choose only 5. So many good ones in the 70'

1. Joker Poker (used to own it but sold it because of all the restoration money tied up i Bally games but having it in tpa would be great) - A great shooter and different from all other games
2. Surfer - So much to offer
3. Jungle Queen - The hunt for monkeys brings a new dimension to the fun of drop targets :)
4. Centigrade 37 - No list without that famous right side Gottlieb layout used in so many games. Love the looks on this one, but 300 or Atlantis is almost tied with this.
5. Buccaneer - Just because I trust Kolchak and Jeff :) (and I love spinners)

Runner ups: Jack's open, Volley, spirit of 76, Big Brave,(not played it but looks good) and Royal Flush

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
The OP was limiting it to Gottlieb pins. But I agree, Bally Four Million BC is fantastic. I love the playfield and backglass art as well on that one.

Ah. Oops.

Then I'd add Strange World to the mix. It's got lovely 50's sci-fi themed art. Somewhat simple rules - basically hitting each 1-4 shot to raise the rollovers. But I recall it being a fun table at the Tom Taylor tour.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Another Gottlieb I'd like to mention is Hit The Deck. It's a low production machine that I've only seen once. Someone brought a beautiful example to the York pinball show 2 or 3 years ago. I only played a couple of games on it, but I was totally sucked in by it. I haven't played it enough to place it in my top five, but I did want to mention it. Don't know if Farsight could even find one.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
The 5 I'd like to see:

Quick Draw/ Fast Draw - it's drop target variation is different.

Jumping Jack/ Jack in the Box - Many don't like this one, but I think it should be in TPA. Ten drop-targets to hit and they reset if you knock 'em all down.

Top Card - Button targets galore and the opportunity for bumper action

Spirit 0f '76 - Alternating saucer payoffs

Big Brave/ Big Indian - Vari-target.

Honorable mentions go to Grand Prix (Roto-target), Sky Jump, Drop-a-Card,

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Great thread. Being optimistic I feel we get 2 more EM 2 packs who knows after that. They have Jive Time and Ace is High available to pair with, unless they plan to use the rest of the El Dorado reskins too. I think we might have to think even more minimalist, what are the best 2? A hard question. I will try to come up with my top 5 G's, love you guys lists so far though

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Anyone know why ipdb top 10 EM list is so drastically different than it was just a short time ago?

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Anyone know why ipdb top 10 EM list is so drastically different than it was just a short time ago?
It was always changing like mad. Some years ago Central Park and North Star were top. Now we have 2001. I guess that some people are pushing their pins.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012

I think that there aren't as many reviews for ems as there are for ss tables, so when a new review comes in, it will drastically change its position.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Some how this diminishes the legitamacy of the list for me same with pinside. I guess picking the best will always be subjective but the SS rankings are much more stable.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.