Williams EM's for TPA

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
Shallow promises. But interesting or just a bit different tables like Goin Nuts don't sell.

1950s tables and back are a hard sell, they tend to be way more luck based versus skill based with very short ball times and limited flipper opportunities.

The scoring is also (usually) not reel based (lighted scores on the backglass) and the rules rather different, so it might be very hard to fit some of these games with leaderboards and wizard goals etc. (Perhaps that's partially why Ace High never made it into the game, for instance, despite being in PHOF.)

According to this (pinrepair site), Williams 1950s machines hadn't quite shed the old gambling aspect of pinball in particular. One consequence (again according to this pin repair site) was that they were more often seen in taverns versus general purpose amusement parlors. There are probably not many people around today who were old enough to enter taverns back then. This will lead to way less nostalgia sales.

Mission statements are nice but Farsight is not a non-profit company. :)

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
FYI here is the "mission statement" from the BBC article which you are likely thinking of, which is a quote from Bobby King: "We are introducing classic pinball tables to people who would otherwise never get an opportunity to play them, and we are also preserving these machines and their culture," he adds.

So not as grandiose as preserving the entire history or all era's of pinball.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Since this started off with so many awesome Bally EM's I will leave my 5 most wanted: Old Chicago, Balls-a-Poppin, Nip it, Four Million B.C., and Bow and Arrow. Would gladly take any in the op too

Agree with those. 4MBC and Balls-a-poppin are particularly good.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
The scoring is also (usually) not reel based (lighted scores on the backglass) and the rules rather different, so it might be very hard to fit some of these games with leaderboards and wizard goals etc. (Perhaps that's partially why Ace High never made it into the game, for instance, despite being in PHOF.)

I can easily come up with 5 standard goals and 5 wizard goals for Ace High. (I'm doing this for fun, not to be an argumentative d*ick)

Standard
-earn 1 million points by draining in a lot out hole
-light the two upper bumpers
-light the two lower bumpers
-earn a special from the card targets by collecting all three Queens
-earn a special from a card target by collecting an ace

Wizard
-score at least xxx points on one ball
-score at least xxx points in one game
-collect all eight specials from the ace card targets
-Drain all five of your balls down a lit outhole
-Light all four bumpers and score a SDTM special

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
[MENTION=259]Gorgar[/MENTION] sounds great, I hope it happens.

Some slight modification would make Nine Sisters so much better. Take the original layout, put 2 flippers at the end of the guides in standard position 2" would do fine. Put the 'extra special' rollover dead center, make those capture holes kickouts, boom awesome game, make it happen Retro Pinball (guys who remade King of Diamonds).

As for historical preservation, I would love to see atleast 1 table from each decade, but only those with fun gameplay. Imo we dont need games so outdated they are not enjoyable. That said I had fun with the flipperless Play Boy in phof

weirdproq

Sep 19, 2013
I'd like to see Rancho sometime as it looked fun in the Buffalo pinball video and seems to have a fun ruleset. Another I'd like to see, and they could do since they have graphic and sound assets from their Williams PHOF collection, is Jive Time, possibly the first game with a random award? It's pretty challenging, it has a bunch of pop bumpers, two pop out holes that score random awards from a spinner on the backglass (including extra balls!), a gate in the long left outlane (which doesn't help much since it's in the top half of the lane and the ball doesn't seem to go there that much), and two lamposts (ball saving posts), and it has psychedelic art.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.