BlahCade 45: Kickstart my Heart

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
[h=2]Links[/h]

[h=2]Summary[/h]It’s all about crowd funding in this BlahCade.

We talk Kickstarter, now that the Doctor Who Kickstarter has successfully funded.

The Zaccaria Steam Greenlight push has succeeded and now Magic Pixel (formerly A.S.K Homework) are doing an indiegogo campaign to raise some funds for cool PC features.

We also touch on TPA mobile graphical improvements planned.

[h=2]Timings[/h]
  • Intro
  • Deadpool Box Office Records - 2:15
  • Should Zen update Deadpool? - 3:15
  • Blab Gremilins in #44 - 5:35
  • Faster Internet - 6:55
  • Dr Who Kickstarter Retrospective - 11:15
    • Which tier was the lynchpin? - 12:45
    • Want the Wallpaper - 14:00
    • TAF Gold Kickstarter exclusivity - 15:00
    • Use TAF Gold as a funding method - 16:40
    • Historical license pricing - 19:35
    • Is 50K the cost for modern pinball licenses? - 20:20

• Magic Pixel Zaccaria Indiegogo - 22:50
    • Steam Greenlight Key if campaign fails - 24:55
    • Pinball Arcade Fans Zaccaria plug - 26:15

• Pinball Arcade mobile graphics improvements - 27:00
  • TotW: Space Shuttle - 27:30
  • The Thing Ball - 33:05
  • Pinball Forum Initialisms - 34:15
  • Initialism Decoder on PAF - 36:00
  • The PAF Moderators - 38:00
  • Outro - 40:00

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I found it a good idea not to offer single season pass as tier, as that is pretty much Farsight paying the remains needed funding the kickstarter themselves. I don't really like the idea of offering season passes as tiers but I guess they desperately wanted to succeed and were prepared to sacrifice future sales. By offering two season passes I think they at least hoped for people who normally only would buy one pass anyway to buy another one or giving one away to new players or something, also maybe some new users will find pinball arcade trough dr Who and the losses wont be as big. But as it seems to me now, farsight threw in a big chunk of that kickstarter money themselves. If they decide to keep the excess money and don't put it towards next kickstarter, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
We've had it confirmed that they will use excess money towards a big license, but that does not mean it has to be a kickstarter. And I really really hope they can stop with the kickstarters.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I've had modems failing within the 2 year warranty period, best thing I found was to get microcenters (7~9USD) warranty since they'll front its [modem] cost and you can pick whatever replacement and they'll deal with the manufacturer, as compared to mailing the manufacturer yourself for more for a refurb with limited warranty of the same product that didn't last.

Some big box stores warranties sound like they wont kick in until the manufacturers is up so they [stores] won't exchange it immediately, which can be a problem if your home is also your office.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
I wonder if the kickstarter would have succeded if they did not introduce the season pass 6 and TAF Gold tiers.Would have been tough I think.And Farsight did not want to find out!

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I'm on the fence with those rewards. On the one hand I really like that the KS succeeded and that wouldn't have happened without the new tiers. I also like that I got a good value reward for my 85 bucks, not the usual special balls/skins whatever. On the other hand I would hate it if it hurts Farsight in the long run and thereby forcing a premature end to TPA. Giftable (is that a word?) season passes are great PR material and may lure new players in. I also think they won brownie points with the hardcore crowd, maybe this helps with future KS's. It's just very hard to gauge impact on this one.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
300 people paid 85 or more so we get 2 season passes.

I really hope there are allot more than 300 people playing and buying season passes for TPA; anyone have any figures? So there loss in sales should really be a drop in the ocean...

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
There's a lot of buzz about EMs now, because of the fantastic job FS's done with El Dorito and Fireballs. So it actually would make sense to get Jeff on again, even just to talk about what he wants. Right? Cmon Jeff :). Im not even a child of that era, but they are my most played tables. The cccrunch noise when the drops come back up in El Dorito really just speak to my soul

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
I backed down from my $85 pledge to $17 after it was well over 56k, since I wanted to contribute towards their sales. I also don't agree with using KS as a way to pre-order for something that is you'd get anyway as the tables are released.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Why yes, yes you do.

Now if we could just get you to podcast with us again!

There's a lot of buzz about EMs now, because of the fantastic job FS's done with El Dorito and Fireballs. So it actually would make sense to get Jeff on again, even just to talk about what he wants. Right? Cmon Jeff :). Im not even a child of that era, but they are my most played tables. The cccrunch noise when the drops come back up in El Dorito really just speak to my soul

Thanks for the sentiment, fellas, but SYT and Jared have such a good thing going now. You know what they say about too many cooks in the kitchen...and I've been distracted with other things, so I don't have a whole lot to contribute.

I just wanted to playfully respond to what Chris said about none of the other mods posting any more. I still read a couple threads here and there, although they're usually in the "other pinball" section :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.