Now we need the Comet!

Moonbeam

Aug 24, 2015
I remember thinking Hurricane was the weakest of the trilogy, but I haven't played it since it was originally out in '91 so the memory's a bit foggy.

Now with both Cyclone and Hurricane, I hope Comet won't be far behind! Comet was the first pin I mastered. Few people took to the time to learn the million point shot, so in our arcade the replay scores were set pretty low so hitting the million would pop a few replays. I would regularly max the machine out at 10 credits, and leave 'em when I got bored, but when the attendant noticed he'd wipe them off. :(

I remember Hurricane being too busy, and I think it was also one of the machines with varying replay levels, where the replay score would increase after one was played, ultimately offering only an extra ball instead of a replay after you scored a couple. I can't really remember which Williams machine was the first to do that, though. It was damn annoying IRL.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Comet is my favorite SS - a perfect balance of old school to modern pinball and the first game where I could get 'in the zone.' Since Hurricane is coming it worries me that we won't see Comet for a while, but hopefully next season.

Rudy hates me

Jan 13, 2014
I want this too, but I'm guessing we'll be getting either 1 early SS machine or an EM double pack per season. If that is the case, that's one spot every other season that Comet's gonna be competing with Fathom, 8 Ball Deluxe and Seawitch (amongst a lot of other highly requested tables) for.

Then again, with the Stern app coming, which I'm guessing will also include the Sega and Data East tables they own, coupled with the fast decreasing number of doable 'modern' Williams and Bally tables, maybe there'll be more space in future seasons for classic tables.

Does making a point then immediately countering it make a post pointless? Never mind, posting anyway.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Saying THE Comet is a lot like saying THE Batman. We all know you are just trying to say Batman. No need to amp it up with a 'the'

*id love to see the Comet or Comet... Ah whatever... Give us Comets now*

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Comet (Hey! Turkey!) and Sorcerer are my two favorite Williams SS tables. But there are some great Bally tables like Fathom and EBD that I'd like to see as well. Fathom-never played IRL but people are raving about this one on the boards. EBD-should have been done much sooner. IMO, this is Bally's best table from the era, even though Centaur won the poll back in 2013 (not complaining about it though.) Anyway, my vote in that poll was for EBD.

I've never really played much of Gottlieb's SS tables, but I've played a good portion of their Alphanumeric tables, which are under-rated in my view.

Hopefully the Stern app pays tribute to some of their SS machines, and early DE alphanumerics.

I also hope that season 6 has something other than Doctor Who to really get excited about. The rest of season 5 seems to be just ok. Although I am looking forward to Rescue 911, and finally getting to try TX sector. Gone seem to be the days where I was really excited about upcoming releases, like personal faves including WH2O, AFM, BSD, R&T, HS, and the Getaway.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
[MENTION=1406]rehtroboi40[/MENTION] just wanted to say, love your tag line. Hidden crap is what I live for. I'm a child of tomb raider for crying out loud!

By the way, there's an actual DOHO hidden in Lara's mansion, but you gotta look really hard for it

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I remember Hurricane being too busy, and I think it was also one of the machines with varying replay levels, where the replay score would increase after one was played, ultimately offering only an extra ball instead of a replay after you scored a couple. I can't really remember which Williams machine was the first to do that, though. It was damn annoying IRL.

Replay values increased on tables a lot sooner than with Hurricane. I know Whirlwind and Rollergames had it, which makes me think it was a System 11 thing but I could be wrong.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
[MENTION=1406]rehtroboi40[/MENTION] just wanted to say, love your tag line. Hidden crap is what I live for. I'm a child of tomb raider for crying out loud!

By the way, there's an actual DOHO hidden in Lara's mansion, but you gotta look really hard for it

Thank you. I remember playing some WMS pinball machines and wondering why it appeared in seemingly every game from the early 90's on.
Apparently, it's dot matrix animator Scott Slomiany's shout-out to his wife.

emorse

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
I got a chance to play Comet last Summer for the first time...and absolutely hated it.

It's easily the worst of the 3, and I honestly don't get what people love about it?

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I got a chance to play Comet last Summer for the first time...and absolutely hated it.

It's easily the worst of the 3, and I honestly don't get what people love about it?

It's mostly nostalgia. I don't normally say this much, but Hurricane is far superior to Comet. Cyclone is still better than both, tho.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

It's all nostalgia. You had to be there when it was first released in 1985. I will admit that Sorcerer (same year) is a lot more playable.

Look at my profile picture, for instance. Anybody remember when Ryu looked like that five Street Fighters ago?

Pardon me, I meant 116 Street Fighters ago.

emorse

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
It's all nostalgia. You had to be there when it was first released in 1985. I will admit that Sorcerer (same year) is a lot more playable.

Look at my profile picture, for instance. Anybody remember when Ryu looked like that five Street Fighters ago?

Pardon me, I meant 116 Street Fighters ago.

I still remember playing SFII on a jumbo arcade machine. The screen for it was huge.

tenparts

Aug 1, 2015
Comet is pretty enjoyable, hopefully they'll add it just so we can have the trilogy.

Sorcerer is great, though. Top 3 table requests for sure.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
GOOD GOD NO!!!!!

Enough of these lame ass clown tables! Cyclone if okay, this Hurricane table is one of the more boring tables on TPA and I have played Comet IRL it is a boring table. No more!!

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
If Comet is anything like Cyclone and Hurricane I don't want it. They are among my least favorite tables in TPA.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I kinda like Hurricane, learning to control the MB is where it's at and where Cyclone is lacking. Also those shots on Cyclone were tight as hell and Hurricane is a lot more forgiving. Never played Comet so no comment there.

Tan Coul

Mar 15, 2012
Comet and 8BD were the tables I cut my pinball teeth on back in my Uni days; needless to say I'd love to see them both in TPA.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.