Now we need the Comet!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Comet is one of those pins that I would like to own. Has good memories for me and I really like the layout. The straight up the middle ramp shot is more difficult and dangerous than it looks. I've always liked pins with a reversed inlane/outlane like you have on the left side of Comet. The million point shot is one of the shots in pinball that has always stuck in my head.
I also like the playfield art with its sweeping ribbons of orange and yellow, and the wooden roller coaster rails.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Comet is one of those pins that I would like to own.

Same here. I've been hunting for one for years, and actually found one close to my home. But it was in terrible condition and the owner had a firm asking price that was much too high. Now that we have two TPA tables in Oursler's trilogy, I'd love to have the one that started it all. I agree that Hurricane is just too busy; the playfield seems claustrophobic. Comet is much simpler and open, but I find it just as challenging. I also like the artwork on Comet more than the other two. The only thing I like about Cyclone is: "Hey! You with the face!"

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The problem with Comet is it's boring. I feel that way playing a real machine, and that would only be compounded playing in TPA. I know people want the 'trilogy' completed, but I think that's just because it scratches that completionist itch. Boots to pavement, there are soooo many better table choices of that early era to put into TPA, it'd be a waste...right now. Save it for season 8 and I probably wouldn't care much.

Nostalgia is a real b****. More so with pinball where unlike a movie, it's hard to revisit unless you're one of the lucky ones with an actual pinball palace near you. I know the sounds and look will get you all warm and fuzzy, but there's a reason I don't see Comet in any of the collector's homes I frequent, but do see Cyclone.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Same here. I've been hunting for one for years, and actually found one close to my home. But it was in terrible condition and the owner had a firm asking price that was much too high. Now that we have two TPA tables in Oursler's trilogy, I'd love to have the one that started it all. I agree that Hurricane is just too busy; the playfield seems claustrophobic. Comet is much simpler and open, but I find it just as challenging. I also like the artwork on Comet more than the other two. The only thing I like about Cyclone is: "Hey! You with the face!"

There was a beautiful one for sale last year at Pinfest in Allentown. Can't remember the price, but this Comet looked like it just came off the assembly line. You would have freaked out.

Jay

May 19, 2012
There was a beautiful one for sale last year at Pinfest in Allentown. Can't remember the price, but this Comet looked like it just came off the assembly line. You would have freaked out.

And probably have opened my wallet....

invitro

May 4, 2012
Apparently, it's dot matrix animator Scott Slomiany's shout-out to his wife.

FWIW, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball:

Designers also included hidden messages or in-jokes; one example of this is the phrase "DOHO" sometimes seen quickly displayed on the dot matrix displays, a reference to Dorris Ho, the wife of then-Williams display artist Scott "Matrix" Slomiany. DOHO was popularly thought to be an acronym for Documented Occurrence of a Hidden Object until its true meaning was revealed in a PinGame Journal article on the subject.

Much details here: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=24032

Last edited:

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
Not only do I think Comet is the worst of the 3, I think TPA would have to alter the racist image in the backglass. Besides, there are so many tables that are better than this.

karl

May 10, 2012
Have to agree with those who think that 2 of these is more than plenty at the moment.

Glad that the nostalgia fans have got their clown-time, but having not played these in real life, I just can't fathom the (circus)attraction with them. Especially since they (at least cyclone and Hurricane) are so similar to each other

I guess Comet would be ok,(never played that one either) but there is so many others I would want before that one.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I'd much rather have Stern's "roller coaster tycoon" than comet - I know, not part of that "trilogy" but I'd prefer it a lot...

Rudy hates me

Jan 13, 2014
Yep. Even though I despise that stupid troll doll.

I actually thought it was a mod when I first saw it a while ago. I remember wondering why somebody would spoil a perfectly good pin by sticking a piece of cheap **** on it. Couldn't believe it when I found out it was actually part of the standard design.

AJ Boomer

Jan 7, 2017
GOOD GOD NO!!!!!

Enough of these lame ass clown tables! Cyclone if okay, this Hurricane table is one of the more boring tables on TPA and I have played Comet IRL it is a boring table. No more!!

It's not like Farsight Studios is shoving pinball machines down your throat! That's why we have the option to purchase any table(s) we want! If you don't want Comet then just don't buy it, and leave it be for true Comet fans to purchase and re-experience the nostalgia and fun (if it's added to The Pinball Arcade)! But don't worry. Unlike Cyclone and Hurricane, Comet does not have a huge clown face at the base of the playfield. So you're safe.

AJ Boomer

Jan 7, 2017
The problem with Comet is it's boring. I feel that way playing a real machine, and that would only be compounded playing in TPA. I know people want the 'trilogy' completed, but I think that's just because it scratches that completionist itch. Boots to pavement, there are soooo many better table choices of that early era to put into TPA, it'd be a waste...right now. Save it for season 8 and I probably wouldn't care much.

Nostalgia is a real b****. More so with pinball where unlike a movie, it's hard to revisit unless you're one of the lucky ones with an actual pinball palace near you. I know the sounds and look will get you all warm and fuzzy, but there's a reason I don't see Comet in any of the collector's homes I frequent, but do see Cyclone.

It's not just because we want Barry Oursler's "trilogy" completed, it's also because some of us enjoy its simplicity in gameplay. The first time I discovered Comet was Wikipedia via link from the Cyclone page. Over time, Comet has grown on me after watching gameplay videos on YouTube, and I highly doubt there are any other amusement park themed pinball tables out there that have uniquely designed layouts or names that ring as much as "Comet." To be honest, I may have never played Comet before, but it IS my favorite pinball table, and it's already difficult for me to find a Comet pinball machine for sale locally! So just give Comet a chance!

Last edited:

Jay

May 19, 2012
it's also because some of us enjoy its simplicity in gameplay.

I think that's why I'm attracted to it over the other tables. Cyclone and Hurricane were built on gimmicks and IMO seem cluttered. Comet just has a wide open table with fast gameplay and nice theming. Bring it on!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.