Hurricane - first impressions

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
i really like what i've played..but Farsight desperately needs to change the materials they use for transparent ramps..tables like this cyclone and CFTBL just don't look that great with the flat translucent ramps.
on VPX the shiny mod for the ramps just look stellar, and is exactly whats needed to make the tables look more realistic.. Sure the DX11 lighting is great but the materials need to be updated as well. Its funny but they use to bake in some highlights in some old ones..which still look better then new ones.

Just look how dramatic a difference it makes on a table with lots of transparent ramps.
index.php

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
My first impression was that I hated it. Not a fan of Cyclone and was bored as hell by Comet when I had access to one in IRL. But after a couple days it really grew on me. I am finding it much better than Cyclone. I do not care for the annoying dummy voice and the blurry plastic ramps are awful. TPA really needs to figure out how to make those look nicer and less obstructive. So my final opinion of Hurricane is that it is one of the best additions this season.

But PLEASE do not add Comet just so the people with OCD can feel they completed the "trilogy". Comet is REALLY REALLY boring.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
My first impression was that I hated it. Not a fan of Cyclone and was bored as hell by Comet when I had access to one in IRL. But after a couple days it really grew on me. I am finding it much better than Cyclone. I do not care for the annoying dummy voice and the blurry plastic ramps are awful. TPA really needs to figure out how to make those look nicer and less obstructive. So my final opinion of Hurricane is that it is one of the best additions this season.

But PLEASE do not add Comet just so the people with OCD can feel they completed the "trilogy". Comet is REALLY REALLY boring.

Wow! Another convert! It's not just me.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
... without those punishing ramps ...

Sez you. I don't have enough velocity to get up the Hurricane ramp two times out of three. Might be a new record for me failing clean ramp shots. And the return on a failed shot at that ramp is sometimes quite difficult to recover from.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I get that, I even sometimes deliberately overshoot the Hurricane shot to take out some cat targets and deadpass the returning incomplete ramp shot to the right flipper for a shot at the Juggler. There is one particular incomplete ramp that is very dangerous, it makes it halfway (just disappearing behind that Juggler box) and then screams down for a SDTM drain that is very difficult to safe (I try to slapsave). But it doesn't happen very often. I still think Cyclone's ramps are worse, if I miss on Hurricane it's on me so to speak and that does not feel like that on Cyclone. Even that nice repeatable rollover score EB doesn't make up for that.... :)

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
Yeah, the right ramp is the hard shot on the table but when you miss you usually score a few cat targets which gives you the all important spins.

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Combine Comet with Ace High, Jive Time, Play-Boy, Strikes N Spares (1995), or Sorcerer. Heck throw in the almighty Xolten and Love Meter for good measure! ;)

Members online

Members online