Request Gamecube adapter support?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
So, I was just posting in the controls thread about how we can't have two stage flippers and then it hit me....we have a GameCube adapter available to us, and gamecube controllers have analog shoulder buttons.

Is there a possibility that we could get GC adapter support?

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I find that the two stage setup doesn't translate well to controller trigger buttons. At least it didn't on PS3.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
The only game compatible with the adapter is Smash Bros. It was a one-time deal and Nintendo want to keep it that way for some reason. So no, no support. You sure even the Pro Controller doesn't have some kind of sensitivity on the sensors?

I always found spongy triggers useless for pinball though. Not precise enough.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
Doesn't the PC version have 2 stage flippers available with an option select still?

Last I tried it it worked with xinput emulation and a PS3 controller, but should work with an X360 controller, or any other xinput controller, directly; provided they have analogue switches on the bottons assigned for flippers,

I know it was available on Playstation (ps3, maybe ps4) but apparently wasn't implemented well.

AFAIK, it's still just the mobile (iOS, Android, Vita), Ouya, and maybe the coming WiiU that don't have it. I know when I played TPA a lot more it was a feature I desired on mobile for controller support.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The PC version does handle it, but the triggers on an X360 controller are terrible for TPA. Which is why I switched to the bumpers and haven't looked back. I really don't care for two-stage flipper control; it's a neat gimmick but I never really used it much in real pinball, so I don't see why it'd be much help to me in TPA.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
The Pro Controller is straight digital. Honestly I wish someone had a good pad for the PS3 that doesn't have analogue triggers. None of my games use them and they don't feel right. I got some nice covers to stop my fingers slipping off them, but I'd rather they were straight up clicky-click buttons like the Wii U Pro Controller.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
The Pro Controller is straight digital. Honestly I wish someone had a good pad for the PS3 that doesn't have analogue triggers. None of my games use them and they don't feel right. I got some nice covers to stop my fingers slipping off them, but I'd rather they were straight up clicky-click buttons like the Wii U Pro Controller.
Word. The digital triggers are neat. Main problem with Game Cube is the long throw involved to hitting the little digital button at the end of travel. And the Mario-themed Game Cube inspired Classic Controller replacements they sell at Gamestop have no analog mechanism inside at all. Just push the sliding trigger all the way in until it clicks to actuate.

Nothing like using analog triggers for the gas and brake pedals in racing games. Outside of racing sims, I agree they have limited appeal. Also most USB controller adapters incorrectly map analog triggers on a virtual axis which is -100% when released and +100% when fully pressed. Game Cube Mayflash Wii-U adapter does this in USB mode and it breaks many PC games and emulators which use a "press button to set input" type scheme. The "always on" analog axis cannot be ignored by software, even when using a digital Game Cube controller.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Doesn't the PC version have 2 stage flippers available with an option select still?

Last I tried it it worked with xinput emulation and a PS3 controller, but should work with an X360 controller, or any other xinput controller, directly; provided they have analogue switches on the bottons assigned for flippers,

I know it was available on Playstation (ps3, maybe ps4) but apparently wasn't implemented well.

AFAIK, it's still just the mobile (iOS, Android, Vita), Ouya, and maybe the coming WiiU that don't have it. I know when I played TPA a lot more it was a feature I desired on mobile for controller support.

I think it works rather well, they adjusted the sensitivity sometime around season 3 so that it actually felt better as well.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The only game compatible with the adapter is Smash Bros. It was a one-time deal and Nintendo want to keep it that way for some reason. So no, no support. You sure even the Pro Controller doesn't have some kind of sensitivity on the sensors?

I'm not 100% on this one, but I'm pretty sure that the adapter COULD be used by other companies and it's not explicitly locked out.
If it is, well shame, just thinking it would be a good option.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015

On the pro cotroller/gamepad, I can say that the triggers work great for pinball. Wheras on the x360. I have to use the buttons. As Espy said, the Wii U triggers do not feel spongy where the 360 do. Not sure if that means 360 triggers are analog and the wii u has digital but wii u triggers definitely seem great on zen.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.