The Pinball Arcade table lighting depending on the time of day?? Can this be?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
According to a post on the Farsight Facebook page:

Jon Bid
I just realized that the game tables are lit differently depending on what time of the day I play (or more accurately, depending on what time I set my PS3 to). This is a cool feature but I would like the option of toggling it off and not relying on the system time. For the first week or so I was playing this game I thought I was going crazy with the tables being much darker than usual. I didn't realize I was playing in "night mode".

I really didn't notice any difference between the couple times I played it during the day, but others seem to be
backing him up and since it's not 4/1 I don't assume it's a joke. Unless this was a feature they added in the last PS3 update or something.
I would think this would be announced as a new feature and be selectable. It would be neat to have "night versions" of tables though.

Ken Lacey
I just bought the PS3 vefsion and played it and it looked fine at that time, i then went back and played it latter at night and the tables were darker,i thought i was going crazy and my tv was acting up, so i am not alone seeing it getting darker, so its supose to do this

Jon Bid
I had always played at night too. I just thought the tables were dark, although the lights were very bright (makes sense now). I turned my contrast up, which helped a bit, but then everything else looked sort of washed out.

I played during the day today for the first time and thought the tables were much brighter. I didn't put two and two together until I played Circus Voltaire and noticed the cannonballs were tan instead of blue. I switched my ps3 clock to midnight, reopened Pinball Arcade, and the cannonballs were blue again (along with darker tables). It had been driving me so crazy that I paid ten bucks to download it on my friends ps3 this past weekend to compare the darkness of the tables.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
You'd think if this were a feature one of the FarSight guys who post here would have talked about it when they talked about the lighting improvements. It is possible that your tv is adjusting for the change of light in the room. Many LCD tvs make adjustments to picture levels based on ambient light levels in the room. Some tvs are probably over adjusting a bit or if your tv isn't calibrated it can be accentuating bad levels to begin with. At any rate, its almost impossible to not see a difference in your tv picture between watching it at night and during the day.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
You'd think if this were a feature one of the FarSight guys who post here would have talked about it when they talked about the lighting improvements. It is possible that your tv is adjusting for the change of light in the room. Many LCD tvs make adjustments to picture levels based on ambient light levels in the room. Some tvs are probably over adjusting a bit or if your tv isn't calibrated it can be accentuating bad levels to begin with. At any rate, its almost impossible to not see a difference in your tv picture between watching it at night and during the day.

Yeah that sounds like he's having some auto brightness feature enabled on his TV. I always disable those things.

Just to be 100% sure Farsight didn't sneak in something cool like that I played it last night and changed the PS3 clock from 1am to 1pm and....... No change! Hehe

Would it be possible for Farsight to replicate a dark room with extra table light ambience?
I assume they would have to change a lot to make it look authentic and not just turn down the table brightness and turn up the LED bulb brightness, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.