Release Date!

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
April 21, 2016. Only for North America at this stage, but it's a start.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pinball-arcade-wii-u

Stuzz, Farsight, and Nintendo. You made my day :cool:

Concerning...Says gamepad required. I use the pro controller for pinball on the TV...Also, unclear what tables will be available at release and when after??? I hope they figure out e-shop with the way this game is sold.. it is unique with all the DLC, but Zen figured it out.

We'll just have to wait and see! I will be buying right away, and looking for the community in Miiverse to launch.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Yay! Better it's a $0.00 download so hopefully that means it comes with TotAN free. I'm willing to bet the launch titles are all tables up to the most recent PS4 release.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Yay! Better it's a $0.00 download so hopefully that means it comes with TotAN free. I'm willing to bet the launch titles are all tables up to the most recent PS4 release.

Yeah, I will be pretty happy if we see through season 4... More importantly, I hope they update if needed and don't just release it to get it out, and then leave it.

I know they have gamepad "ideas", and that's great, and I am pretty sure they will get their share of feedback on it. But I am fine with screen mirror... which means we can play on or off TV. But would like to be able to set the gamepad down and use pro controller when playing on TV. That's the biggest for me.

I agree, do like the release format... may mirror steam store.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I got Kickstarter emails for both Twilight Zone and Star Trek TNG, which I backed at levels to enable all-console rewards, so they'll at least be up through season three. I'd be surprised if it wasn't through season five, though I'll be more surprised if season 6 tables are on offer.

I don't know why I'm looking forward to spending so much more money, but I clearly have pinball on the brain since I've been playing Zen 2 on my Wii U more than anything else recently. Really looking forward to this, even if it has been a long wait!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Yes, but I wasn't able to "purchase" it from the browser-based Nintendo eShop, which I thought I would be able to do. That way I don't have to prize my kids from the WiiU to get there to download it. [Edit] Nevermind, I was just able to do it. No idea how the DLC is managed/purchased though.

I'd like to know (a) how big individual tables are (the base game is ~2Gb?) and (b) if I can move some or all content to an SD card. I don't plan on getting a whole raft of tables - why would I when my PC is in the same room? - but there will be TotAN and I assume Dr Who going on there at least.

Last edited:

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
Well, I downloaded it and bought a few packs. The process to buy table packs is really quick and easy, and all the tables can be trialed like on Steam or mobile. It plays as good as ever, and all the machines have the updated flipper physics, which is awesome! Sadly, there are a few issues. (But I guess that's par for the course for Farsight) Mainly the audio quality. All the tables have really low quality audio, almost as bad as on mobile. The weird thing is, F-14 sounds great, but that's the only game I found that sounded good. On top of that, the gamepad doesn't feature the DMD only mode, which is really weird considering they already had it working in the past. The gamepad simply mirrors the TV screen. Apparently the gamepad is the only usable controller at the moment.

Glad it's finally here, just wish it didn't have issues like these, especially considering this has been 3+ years in the works!

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Yeah... great job Farsight on how yoiu integrated the DLA on eshop. Works quite slick. I have a couple seasons on the x360, and will contend that audio and visually, Wii U version is better.

I miss just three things here....

1. Ability to change nudge button to d-pad, and ability to change flippers to the higher buttons, above the triggers. 2. Ability to use pro controller. 3. I can't see all my Wii U friends' scores on my leaderboard for each table.

SOOOOOO happy to be playing TPA on Wii U. The almost got it perfect, but I hope that they update it! I think what I mention would Not require alot of work. I am impressed and will shell out for all eventually.

Also they promise tournaments...really, on Wii U? Well rock on Farsight I hope you can do that too. Maybe because the leaderboards seem to be tied to the "general pool"? Oh, and maybe an e-shop sale :)

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Anyone else getting error 103-4107 (Unable to create test connection) when TPA launches? There's nothing wrong with my NNID or my internet connection as far as I can tell.

Otherwise, after only playing TotAN (because that's all I can play...), I think I figured out what's off about playing on the WiiU - the screen is too darned far away. I'm used to PC and tablet, and the screens are much closer (and also in portrait). Not loving trying to use the Game Pad to play - handheld landscape view just isn't hacking it for me.

It would be great if they'd implemented more uses for the Game Pad rather than just straight-up screen mirroring.

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
Can someone confirm that Addams Family Gold is a payable option in the Wii U version for everyone?

Because during the Doctor Who Kickstarter it was stated that TAF Gold was a Kickstarter exclusive, which appears to be untrue now.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Wow, that's not bad and a table I really like. Can you purchase by season or just individual packs? Does it work like Zen where you need to first download the table ("demo") and then the purchase just unlocks it?

I'm hoping the European release is next month at the outside. Nice that I'll have TNG and TZ for free to look forward to. The way they did the free tables on iOS was a bit clunky so I ended up buying them, so the Wii U version will be my real reward!

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Wow, that's not bad and a table I really like. Can you purchase by season or just individual packs? Does it work like Zen where you need to first download the table ("demo") and then the purchase just unlocks it?

I'm hoping the European release is next month at the outside. Nice that I'll have TNG and TZ for free to look forward to. The way they did the free tables on iOS was a bit clunky so I ended up buying them, so the Wii U version will be my real reward!

Sean, I am not just being a fanboy when I say this release is well done. It's not perfection... it could use first and foremost pro controller support. But, the tables look, play and run very slick. The eshop integration of the DLC is very well done, and the leaderboards tie in with the "collective". I was proud of my first run at Circus Voltaire only to find my overall highe score was like 30000th place. This is cool and I never saw this type of leaderbaord on the 360.

Also the game promises tournaments :)

I hope you get it next week!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I was proud of my first run at Circus Voltaire only to find my overall highe score was like 30000th place. This is cool and I never saw this type of leaderbaord on the 360.

X360 (and XOne) has its own leaderboards, due to Microsoft policy. On all the other devices, leaderboards are connected (mobile + PSN + PC and now WiiU?)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I was hoping for the new UI with this, but oh well. I'm really surprised though that there is no option to display the DMD on the game pad only. You can turn on and off the HUD, but that's it. I know at one point FarSight had the DMD displaying full screen on the pad, wonder what happened.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
I was hoping for the new UI with this, but oh well. I'm really surprised though that there is no option to display the DMD on the game pad only. You can turn on and off the HUD, but that's it. I know at one point FarSight had the DMD displaying full screen on the pad, wonder what happened.

shutyertrap, I think the clock was ticking on this and releasing the game was imperative. I do recall reading somewhere that Nintendo may have had additional approval steps involving game pad integration if it went beyond simple mirroring. I am confident that some features will be added/enhanced. As it is, I believe they made the right call to release and (hopefully) update. Cuz I am digging playing the tables on the wii u even with version 1.0. The fact that we'll probably get some enhanced control options and other stuff is cool.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.