LAH Strategy thread

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
You'll have to explain this one, because you sound like you're making excuses.

PC is the only platform with Physics 3.0, last I heard.

As of this post, iOS, Android and consoles still use 2.0 physics that make live catches near-impossible to do.

LOL not that anyone cares but Wii U has the same physics as Steam. Also I only catch the lastt of thread but it must be nice to be bored by either game as us average players will never comprehend a statement of that nature lol.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
You'll have to explain this one, because you sound like you're making excuses.

PC is the only platform with Physics 3.0, last I heard.

As of this post, iOS, Android and consoles still use 2.0 physics that make live catches near-impossible to do.
there's nothing to explain. Simply try the game on tablet and you'll see for yourself.
3.0 vs 2.0 does not mean much if both versions are crappy. And physics in TPA was never something special. It's not so much where the physics is better (I should use term "more realistic" but we are far from that) it is just a fact that the game is a lot harder on mobile platform for whatever reasons.
Just go to official leaderboards and compare how many times bigger are PC scores from the best one on android or iOS. It is not just a coincidence. My first ball on Taxi was 3x better then my best score on android. And then I just gave up.....

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
What are some of your good ideas?

Different leaderboards for different systems. An allround leaderboard so more people would be motivated to buy all tables (because else u wouldn't be able to get high on that leaderboard). Zero response. Make it so that it would be impossible to cheat. I understand from Tarek that they had a good system long time ago fro pro pinball so why wouldn't Farsight be able now in 2016? Make a seperate score'thing' what can be turned off/on in options menu in case people don't like it so u can keep track on what your score really is, because now u can't even see for most tables when u play for long time. Zero response to all of it. And there are other things to improve TPA and other good idead from other people what they obviously don't listen to. Sorry for my not perfect English, i hope u understand what i mean for the most part.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Hey top mobile players, [MENTION=4380]Toolinit[/MENTION] [MENTION=4188]Gus[/MENTION] [MENTION=896]Slam23[/MENTION] [MENTION=5229]sneakynotsneaky[/MENTION] [MENTION=2528]Crooker[/MENTION] , I heard some one advocate using a controller addon for your platform of choice, do you happen to use one?

PC&Console can't be too drastically different, Sir Moovenstein(PC) seems to be doing well, hasn't surpassed all of his old Sir_Moovenstein (PSN) scores yet.

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
Hey top mobile players, [MENTION=4380]Toolinit[/MENTION] [MENTION=4188]Gus[/MENTION] [MENTION=896]Slam23[/MENTION] [MENTION=5229]sneakynotsneaky[/MENTION] [MENTION=2528]Crooker[/MENTION] , I heard some one advocate using a controller addon for your platform of choice, do you happen to use one?

PC&Console can't be too drastically different, Sir Moovenstein(PC) seems to be doing well, hasn't surpassed all of his old Sir_Moovenstein (PSN) scores yet.

I don't use a controller. All of my scores are from the touchscreen on a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.

I tried the Steam version with keyboard but I'm terrible at it in every respect. But I'm sure it's just because I'm too locked in to the Android touchscreen way of thinking and I'm certainly not going to re-learn now. :) Actually thought when I first picked up TPA it was on PS4. Never registered as a player on it though so no high scores from there. It's been a while but my impression was that shotmaking was as easy or potentially easier on the PS4 but I absolutely cannot do proper nudging at all. My brain can only comprehend nudging on the touchscreen.

Back on LAH: on the topic of the extra ball scoop on Android. I can hit it from a trap on the left. Not super consistent but it can be done. Unless I absolutely have to though I don't aim for it since it's pretty unsafe.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Nope, no controller here. Only time I have ever used one was for playing NBA 2K games, before that I was a keyboard PC guy all the way back to actually an Apple IIe. I'm so used to touch nudging on iPad that I probably will not pick up any more PC TPA and portability is way too important for me. We actually had a discussion a while back in some thread about potential differences in degree of difficulty across platforms and why they were there. It centered on analog micro-nudging below the tilt treshold with controllers on PC/console versus mobile where that's just not possible. I've seen video's of PC players that constantly nudge to keep the ball on the flipper. Another interesting point that [MENTION=3745]vikingerik[/MENTION] made is that PC TPA has a way higher input sample rate for the controls, making for much more precise playing and less lag (if I understood it correctly). I myself jumped a few levels in gameplay when I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an Air 2. Not only far superior and therefore much clearer graphics but also better framerate (and possibly less input lag).
I would say that PC and to some lesser extent console have an edge towards easier gameplay, and this is reflected in [MENTION=446]invitro[/MENTION] 's great top 100 list. Top 10 is dominated by PC and PSN with solely Toolinit representing mobile. He is and has been from the start somewhat of an anomaly though. He is the only iOS guy that has crossed the 60K HOF points barrier, at 63K, and I'm a very distant second with nearly 55K. Gus is behind me with 50K for third. So Toolinit is a scoring monster for sure!

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013

Nope. Touch screen. A controller would involve going to a store to buy one then setting it up and all that. Seems like a lot of trouble.��

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
No controller here either. I do have dualshock 4 but it is not exactly compatible with TPA. It does work in game but for everything else I still need touchscreen. In case that TPA does get proper controller support then I might use it on my android TV but for tablet, TS only.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Any advice on getting the Death Save Wizard Goal?

It may be that analog nudging just isn't strong enough to manage it. I wonder if I can map nudging to the d-pad to get full-strength nudging? Hmm.

I managed an actual death save on the Android version but it didn't matter because I hadn't unlocked the standard goals yet. The way I unlocked the goal on the PC version was far more interesting. I had two balls locked and was still in single-ball play. It went down the right outlane and I was nudging, attempting to do a death save/bangback. While that didn't work, my nudging knocked one of the locked balls loose and it hit a switch, making the table think I had performed a death save. This did earn me the Wizard Goal.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed that the ball locks on this table seem extremely weak? I'm frequently nudging locked balls loose, giving myself an unexpected multi-ball. Surprisingly, the table's ROM doesn't seem to mind.

BTW, I play with a keyboard so my nudging is digital.

satandouche

Sep 27, 2015
Don't know if this tip was mentioned, but there's a fairly reliable way to hit the crane shot during m-ball. If you trap two balls on the right flipper then do a quick backhand flip, it sends the first ball straight to the crane. This can help as that shot is necessary during the mode and can be a pain. If you have countdown time to make the shot, hold the balls for a few seconds to disengage the magnets then nail the crane shot. I used this method to get the double jackpot goal.

Anubis

Jun 4, 2016
For the first Wizard Goal (The Cousin Frank one), it was driving me crazy until I realized I could trap the first ramp shot and did not have to hit #2 on the fly. Got it, but that shot into center scoop was still tough. The shot I thought was best did not trigger but just gave me Chicken award. Got it shortly after that.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
the key to doing a death save is the timing. you have to nudge just before the ball strikes the left channel, so your nudge physically moves that part of the table into the ball. it also helps to move it diagonally up and right.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.