BlahCade 56: Stern Pinball App, or Rollercoaster Kickstarter?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Some of my friends have the app, but only play the free tables. They say the whole app should be $5 tops for every pin. I try explaining the licensing and then they tune me out and change the subject. I'm not even going to tell the the modern Stern pins will be $10 each.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I listened to this episode some time ago so correct me if I'm off base...

For the SternPA y'all were quite happy with the pricing of each table being $10, $15 or even more. But on a previous episode when the remake of Pro Pinball Timeshock was discussed, I remember SYT in particular was opposed to its price of $15, even though any Pro Pinball table is (arguably) technically superior to every table which Farsight has recreated.

Thoughts?

Jared is the one who's fine at $15. I feel that is too high, and would be too high for SPA too. $10 is right at the edge for me, but what I'm hoping is that we are getting a more finely polished looking and playing experience. If that price means not having to see kickstarters, all the better too.

I am a bit weird with my rationale when it comes to Pro Pinball and the product FarSight makes. There's something to me about adapting a real thing and that having added value. It makes zero sense, but it's how my brain works. With SAP, the fact you can download this table and then put your hands on a real one if you come across it, that holds more value to me. It even played out that way with Zen tables, where if I wasn't getting it for 75% off, I wasn't buying. Yet even at full price, they were still cheaper than any TPA table.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The way I see it, $10 is five games on an IRL table if I can find one.

Remember when you had to pay $100 for a top tier game (Australian pricing).

I can get 10 faithful Stern recreations for that money.

It's great to be alive!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
It kinda boggles the mind that the original run of 4 (or 5) games in the Pro Pinball series were sold as full price video games for 1 table.

Also, I certainly agree with the rationale that the Farsight tables are better value since you get the added benefit of learning some real world skills which can then be applied to a physical object. I actually didn't own TPA at all until I began going to the local league. The first table I played both in the real world and TPA was BoP. Unfortunately despite having a multi billion high score for it on TPA, I'm yet join the billionaires club for real.

I wonder if the value proposition will work out if the company making the physical Timeshock table ever completes it :)

wolfson

May 24, 2013
The way I see it, $10 is five games on an IRL table if I can find one.

Remember when you had to pay $100 for a top tier game (Australian pricing).

I can get 10 faithful Stern recreations for that money.

It's great to be alive!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
how true Jared,people don`t realise we pay $100au for PS4 and XBOX 1 games,myself $10 - $15 for pinball tables still good value.you spend that much mucking around a real pinball table.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.