BlahCade 57: Dnyeahh I speak good, or Sharks with Flippers?

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Too bad Australia didn't win the Eurovision Song Contest in the end. They won by jury vote, but then the audience votes in the countries voted Ukraine so much higher. Lets not talk about the result of the German contribution, shall we?

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Only one complaint... Way too much pinball talk. I could've used a little more printer talk :p.

Oh man, now I'm the 'guy who doesn't like printers' guy.

Also I coulda used a little more cowbell

***real feedback alert. Loved the way you came up with the title. That's always great actually. It's interesting to me too about the railroads, so I'm glad you guys mentioned invitro's find. Ripley's does have a lot. But the most blairingly obvious one is on F2K. It must've been vikingeric that found it, but it's the one where the drops on the right have to be down in a certain way, and you can just let the ball slide impossibly over the middle post, getting that darn 'F' letter.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh man, now I'm the 'guy who doesn't like printers' guy.

Yep. Embrace it!

This is part of why we like feedback, because we want our listeners to feel like they are part of the show too. It's a very one sided dialogue, but it gives Jared and I something else to bounce off of. We were able to use blab.im once more for this recording, which means people can live comment while we record. You do need a twitter account to sign in and respond, but it's soooo easy! Every Saturday now, starting usually at 3pm, 3:30 at the latest (Pacific). Think about it, if we get long winded on something, you can blast us about it while it's happening!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Yep. Embrace it!

This is part of why we like feedback, because we want our listeners to feel like they are part of the show too. It's a very one sided dialogue, but it gives Jared and I something else to bounce off of. We were able to use blab.im once more for this recording, which means people can live comment while we record. You do need a twitter account to sign in and respond, but it's soooo easy! Every Saturday now, starting usually at 3pm, 3:30 at the latest (Pacific). Think about it, if we get long winded on something, you can blast us about it while it's happening!

I'm not against Twitter. jist haven't made that step in my internet puberty yet. Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about with feedback. I used to be a radio dj. Nothing much, just a college dj. But it was one of the best experiences I've had in my life. I was always looking for feedback from my -3 listeners. Enough about that, it's just good to know that you guys are still looking for ways to do better. With the format and such. I'm still laughing about the printers beef. It works really well for you guys to ease into the pin talk. Love the music. Well maybe that's a thing you could bring back is a little Segway pin quote or diddy.

Way way off topic, but SYT do you like the honest trailers by screen junkies? Only reason I mention it is because I remember you liking Deadpool. You need to check out the honest trailer for Deadpool if you haven't already.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Way way off topic, but SYT do you like the honest trailers by screen junkies? Only reason I mention it is because I remember you liking Deadpool. You need to check out the honest trailer for Deadpool if you haven't already.

Yep, seen it. I'm not really a fan of the honest trailers though. Too often the ones I've seen are nothing than the most obvious notes trolls hit, and then I get angry. The Deadpool one was actually kinda anemic since the movie already was taking potshots at itself. Speaking of, guess what I watched last night. I'm still more impressed with the action photography in Deadpool than Civil War. Stupid shaky-cam and stuttering shutter angle nonsense.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Yep, seen it. I'm not really a fan of the honest trailers though. Too often the ones I've seen are nothing than the most obvious notes trolls hit, and then I get angry. The Deadpool one was actually kinda anemic since the movie already was taking potshots at itself. Speaking of, guess what I watched last night. I'm still more impressed with the action photography in Deadpool than Civil War. Stupid shaky-cam and stuttering shutter angle nonsense.

Who's idea was shaky cam in the first place? I can hold down my popcorn, but even I get dizzy to the point of throwing up. Most of the budget for Deadpool went to colossus. I really hope they make a joke about that in the next one. They had to use a reflective ball to capture what the reflective locations would look like on him. Is that normal? It seems like at the end of the day, they're just going to 'crud' up his metal so no one can tell anyways. As far as Civil War, I want to know nothing going in. Too late though. Whoever's editing these trailers needs to know that they can leave things out. My fault for watching it though. Cheers!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
You can say that about all of these Marvel comic book movies...

Ouch. We can still be friends I guess. Yeah, I'll still eat it up like a clown on thanksgiving. I have to admit though, those Spider-Man's lost me a long time ago. Thank goodness we have a funnier version of Spiderman now.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Who's idea was shaky cam in the first place? I can hold down my popcorn, but even I get dizzy to the point of throwing up. Most of the budget for Deadpool went to colossus. I really hope they make a joke about that in the next one. They had to use a reflective ball to capture what the reflective locations would look like on him. Is that normal? It seems like at the end of the day, they're just going to 'crud' up his metal so no one can tell anyways. As far as Civil War, I want to know nothing going in. Too late though. Whoever's editing these trailers needs to know that they can leave things out. My fault for watching it though. Cheers!

I think I first noticed shaky cam with NYPD Blue. I don't know when it started getting used in action movies, but I firmly put the blame on Bourne Supremacy for making it 'popular'. I've actually never heard of one person liking it, but if the movie is successful, then everybody else copies the 'formula'. I've been on plenty of sets where the direction to the camera operator is "give it some energy" or "make it have that documentary style" when shooting handheld. I just cringe. The other thing you hear is, "it's all just pieces". That means heavy cutting and assembling in the editing room. Michael Bay is to blame for that where the mandate on Armageddon was there had to be an edit every 3 seconds.

The big silver ball actually has nothing to do with Colossus being shiny, but him being a CG special effect. They are used for lighting reference. Usually the visual effects guy will come running onto set with the ball after the take, and a shiny ball will get filmed. Often the ball is shiny on one half, a dull grey on the other, again for lighting reference. Occasionally you'll see a green ball get brought out, and that is to match the chroma key of green screen, which is shot against later. We used to have to write down all the measurements of the camera, it's height, angle, distance from subject. Nowadays the effects guys can put a tracker on the camera if it's really critical, but otherwise so long as there are a few reference points that don't change in the visual field, they can figure out everything else back at the visual effects house.

These days with trailers, I'll often watch the teaser and if I know it's something I wanna see, I won't watch anything else. Some movies I'm on the fence, and then I'll watch other trailers to see if it can sway me. Gone are the days when I'd watch a trailer over and over, some times in frame by frame (on VHS no less!). For instance, I've seen the Rogue One teaser, I don't need to see any more to know I'm going. I've watched all the Suicide Squad trailers and still can't get a bead on if it's worth my money.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I remember almost getting sick in the theater watching Bourne. The trilogy was great overall, but my god was it shaky as hell.

NYPD Blue, now there's a blast from the past...nothing quite like a shaky butt cam. :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I remember almost getting sick in the theater watching Bourne. The trilogy was great overall, but my god was it shaky as hell.

NYPD Blue, now there's a blast from the past...nothing quite like a shaky butt cam. :D

Bourne Identity had crisp, precise, and easy to follow camera work. Then came Greengrass, a documentarian, to muck it all up. I love the stories, but grit my teeth watching. I saw the trailer for Jason Bourne on the big screen last week, and the only way I'll be watching that is from the back row. I was okay watching it on my TV, but it was incomprehensible sitting halfway back in the theater.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Bourne Identity had crisp, precise, and easy to follow camera work. Then came Greengrass, a documentarian, to muck it all up. I love the stories, but grit my teeth watching. I saw the trailer for Jason Bourne on the big screen last week, and the only way I'll be watching that is from the back row. I was okay watching it on my TV, but it was incomprehensible sitting halfway back in the theater.

I think Bourne Supremecy was the only one I actually saw in the theater, so that makes sense.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm not against Twitter. jist haven't made that step in my internet puberty yet.

It works really well for you guys to ease into the pin talk. Love the music. Well maybe that's a thing you could bring back is a little Segway pin quote or diddy.

Let us be your excuse for diving into Twitter. Join up and come sit in on a session. I think you can listen live to blab sessions without a Twitter account though.

I can also do some more mid episode bumps. Dropped them when people said they were startling them while driving. 😨

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Jared, it's just a matter of time. I gotta baby step towards Twitter. I'd like to get one of your shirts too. I just suck at actually doing things. As far a Suicide Squad, shyt - how in the world are you not sold yet? That was probably the best trailer I've ever seen. There's that one guy in YouTube that breaks down the trailer. Maybe that had something to do with it, but whoever put that trailer together is great. There are certain things I'm not sold on yet, like the new joker. But I don't have a big opinion on that very much. The dark knight is in my top 5, but it's not going to be the same joker, and that's fine. They haven't shown much in the trailers about him. Well if you're not all that excited by it, that's too bad. I have high hopes for it. We'll see. Also I really really need to see apocalypse, because those were some of my favorite episodes from the x-men show. Some people don't like the invincible bad-guy. But I used to like seeing them go against a mutant that's way out of their league

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Not excited by Suicide Squad because of Warner Bros track record with DC movies. They always want it both ways, a dark serious movie with brutal violence, but gotta keep it PG13 so pull back and don't fully commit. Shoot, I didn't even go see BvS because it just looked plodding. I'll enjoy it at home instead. For some reason I just don't feel the need to see the DC universe stuff with any urgency.

I love the X-Men movies (except Last Stand) and that's coming from someone who didn't read the comics or watch the animated shows. I'll be there opening week I'm sure.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I love the X-Men movies (except United) and that's coming from someone who didn't read the comics or watch the animated shows. I'll be there opening week I'm sure.

Kinda hope you mean Last Stand there, United was X-Men 2 which is still the best of them all. Last Stand was the hot mess after Bryan Singer left, so he had to come back, clean it up, and retcon everything with First Class and Days Of Future Past.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Kinda hope you mean Last Stand there, United was X-Men 2 which is still the best of them all. Last Stand was the hot mess after Bryan Singer left, so he had to come back, clean it up, and retcon everything with First Class and Days Of Future Past.

Geez, yeah. Sorry, first response of the morning, brain still not functioning! Last Stand was terrible. I even like Wolverine: Origins if that tells you how much I dislike Last Stand.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Geez, yeah. Sorry, first response of the morning, brain still not functioning! Last Stand was terrible. I even like Wolverine: Origins if that tells you how much I dislike Last Stand.

Okay, you're forgiven. FWIW I liked Origins: Wolverine too, mainly because I went into it with zero expectations of anything other than a story that told the origins of Wolverine; I wasn't disappointed. As an added bonus they filmed the fight with Deadpool up on some old cooling towers at Three Mile Island, which is a local landmark of sorts for me (except at the time I wasn't living in Pennsylvania, so maybe it was prophetic?)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.