Bought a new tv, game looks amazing now

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Finally decided to buy a new tv and I am blown away by how brilliant TPA looks in 1080p! In 720p some tables are really fuzzy and suffer from low-res graphics but not in HD. Awesome!

Also, the brighter colors make for a brand ew experience. I really should have done it earlier. :)

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Finally decided to buy a new tv and I am blown away by how brilliant TPA looks in 1080p! In 720p some tables are really fuzzy and suffer from low-res graphics but not in HD. Awesome!

Also, the brighter colors make for a brand ew experience. I really should have done it earlier. :)

Awesome, that is what I did several years ago when TPA started to have problems with my old TV.
In fact TPA was one of the main reasons that I bought an HD tv.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013

You don't have input lag / render lag in 1080p?

A fast checking is to scroll the table list in the main menu.

In 1080p, the table list scrolls way more slowly than in 720p. On a table, the flippers react weirdly, and the ball seems to weigh a ton.

In fact, I think that TPA on PS3 is in 720p natively, and FS applies some sort of rendering filter to smooth everything in 1080p (a poor upscale processing or whatever). As you said, the game is way more fuzzy and aliased in 720p, but does not lag.

FS says it itself on the official site:

The PS3 version seems to lag a little when I press the flipper buttons, why?

This is a known issue, and it has to do with the way the PS3 renders our game, the best way to reduce the lag is to use"game mode" on your TV if available, and make sure that all video/movie enhancing effects and features on your television are turned off.

This is bull****, it comes from the 1-frame lag induced by the 1080p rendering.

PS: technically, 720p (1280x720) is already a HD resolution (called "HD Ready" for TVs), whereas 1080i/p (1920x1080) is called "Full HD" for TVs.

Last edited:

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Hi Tann,

Okay, you are right, there is a minimal lag but that's something one can get used to. With my old TV it was much worse. Should be fun to re-adjust the timings and hunt for new highscores.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Hi Tann,

Okay, you are right, there is a minimal lag but that's something one can get used to. With my old TV it was much worse. Should be fun to re-adjust the timings and hunt for new highscores.

Yeah, I tried too. But even on a CRT (with an HDMI port), the lag is unbearable for me. Especially those awkward horizontal shots when you flip from the tip. ^^

Good highscore hunt anyway. :p

Zevious Zoquis

Jul 27, 2013
Y'know I've always gone with 720p for PA on the PS3 as I'd heard so much about the intolerable flipper lag at 1080p but I recently switched over to 1080p just for kicks and things certainly do LOOK a lot nicer - and frankly I don't notice much in the way of lag at all. I'm not great to begin with though so that might explain it lol.

VincentVegas

Feb 8, 2013
On my 2014 Samsung Smart TV I do not have any lag, but on the TV of my friend, which is only one year older the lag is a problem, even with sports/game mode turned on and all features turned off. With fast tables you just hit the ball a little bit too late every time. This becomes even more a problem when we first play at my home and then at hers.
How can we turn down resolution to 720p? And why is this no problem with Zen Pinball 2?

Regards
Thomas

Morg

Apr 3, 2014
On my 2014 Samsung Smart TV I do not have any lag, but on the TV of my friend, which is only one year older the lag is a problem, even with sports/game mode turned on and all features turned off. With fast tables you just hit the ball a little bit too late every time. This becomes even more a problem when we first play at my home and then at hers.
How can we turn down resolution to 720p? And why is this no problem with Zen Pinball 2?

Regards
Thomas

On PS3 main menu: Settings --> Display Settings --> Video Output Settings. Then after choosing HDMI you have to pick Custom and it will give you a list of available resolutions. Uncheck 1080i and 1080p. After those settings are confirmed you can skip the Audio Output Settings.

I'm still not sure whether I actually play better in 720, many of my best scores are set in 1080 since I left it that way for a long time and I am often too lazy to change it. I don't notice too much lag on my Samsung either, though I do have everything turned off that I can. I do notice the lag if I'm playing PS1 games on the PS3 but I think that is a completely different issue and those don't run in HD anyway.

It is an obvious difference in the TPA menus at least so you can always tell which resolution you are running(if your TV doesn't notify you itself). The majority of other games still seem to use 720 anyway, but if you leave 1080 disabled you'll never know when a game is capable of supporting it.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online